Refrigerator question

Dan54

We have a 2011 Landmark with a Dometic RM1350 refrigerator at our campground on the Ohio River. It’s about a 2 hour drive from our home near Columbus. We go to the river almost every weekend in the summer & when we left to go home our refrigerator was operating in the Auto mode. While we were gone there was a power outage for a short time & when we opened the refrigerator it was warm inside. The breakers were still in the On position but the #1 LP tank was empty. It appears that the refrigerator switched to Gas mode when the power failed & didn’t switch back to electric mode when power was restored, ran thru the gas (tank #2 was shut off) & then shut down. Is this normal or do I have an issue. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds normal. I have the same refrigerator. If the unit was sill running on gas when power was restored it should have switched back to AC.
Why do you leave the second tank off? The idea of having an automatic lp switchover is to avoid what just happened. And of course having to go out and open the second tank at 2:00am when it's 20° outside and 40° inside.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

It's possible that when it ran out of propane, the refrigerator threw an error code and shut down. On your return, you probably turned if OFF and back ON which likely cleared the error condition allowing normal operation to resume.

Dan54

Thanks for the replies. Freezer now starting to cool. Couple reasons I left tank #2 closed. It’s our guest trailer so only used occasionally during the summer. I just filled both tanks in July & I never thought a refrigerator would empty a full 40 lb tank in a week. It has been in the 90’s all week though. I’m kind of glad I kept it closed, I might have put a serious dent in the volume of the second tank if I had it on.

wdk450

Any chance your 12 vdc battery went down during the power outage? That runs the logic board on the refrigerator, along with the propane gas solenoid and lighting operations, and low/no 12 VDC voltage could cause an error in the auto mode operation.

Dan54

It’s possible the 12 volt went down during the power outage. My batteries were weak when I took the trailer out of storage last month. I couldn’t get the level up jacks to work until I plugged into power at the campground.