relocated batteries to side door?

szewczyk_john

I am in the middle of installing an 2500 watt inverter and upgraded battery bank. I have the 4 six volt crown 260 batteries in place but had to cut away some of the bracketing for the hydraulic system to make the boxes fit. I also know that I will have to take these batteries back out each winter for storage. I purchased two end to end battery boxes. Because of the height of the front storage area I am forced to place the batteries into the boxes and then to load each box into the compartment. Lifting two of these batteries at once and installing in that front area while bend over at the waste is a pain in the ***. I am looking for a roller mechanism that I can install in the compartment to help with the installation of and removal of those batteries. I want to install something that will allow the boxes to be removed without dragging along the door opening and you just can not lift the back of the boxes due to the opening and the fact that you are bent over at the waist. There is also a four inch drop from the top edge of the door opening running along the bottom and the floor of the compartment. My first thought was to raise the floor level by installing a platform but then I ran into the hydraulics set up and the bracketing that holds it. I have a stand that has a roller on top of it for feeding stock into my saws. I was thinking of adding the roller somehow. Mine looks like this one from LOWE'S . Maybe even installing a piece of larger angle iron that will keep the boxes off of the door frame?

I also wondered if any one every thought about or actually did move their batteries to one of the side propane compartments. If so can you show pictures of that mod and what did you do with the LP bottle? Those that know me, know that I am a large guy and I can handle jeu about any physical task. installing and removing these 2 battery boxes is not easy and will get more difficult with each passing season.

Diamondjim

John....you're a better man than I! "Installing and removing these 2 battery boxes is not easy and will get more difficult with each passing season." this statement is spot on, me being 74, and fairly active, it still hurts me all over, just to think about this project.

I hope someone more experienced with moving battery locations will be able to provide you with good information.

Good luck with your project.

rhodies1

I am in the middle of installing an 2500 watt inverter and upgraded battery bank. I have the 4 six volt crown 260 batteries in place but had to cut away some of the bracketing for the hydraulic system to make the boxes fit. I also know that I will have to take these batteries back out each winter for storage. I purchased two end to end battery boxes. Because of the height of the front storage area I am forced to place the batteries into the boxes and then to load each box into the compartment. Lifting two of these batteries at once and installing in that front area while bend over at the waste is a pain in the ***. I am looking for a roller mechanism that I can install in the compartment to help with the installation of and removal of those batteries. I want to install something that will allow the boxes to be removed without dragging along the door opening and you just can not lift the back of the boxes due to the opening and the fact that you are bent over at the waist. There is also a four inch drop from the top edge of the door opening running along the bottom and the floor of the compartment. My first thought was to raise the floor level by installing a platform but then I ran into the hydraulics set up and the bracketing that holds it. I have a stand that has a roller on top of it for feeding stock into my saws. I was thinking of adding the roller somehow. Mine looks like this one from LOWE'S . Maybe even installing a piece of larger angle iron that will keep the boxes off of the door frame?

I also wondered if any one every thought about or actually did move their batteries to one of the side propane compartments. If so can you show pictures of that mod and what did you do with the LP bottle? Those that know me, know that I am a large guy and I can handle jeu about any physical task. installing and removing these 2 battery boxes is not easy and will get more difficult with each passing season.

good morning,have you looked at the roller mechanism that some rv manufacturers use for their propane tanks,they have a slide system,this system may work for your use.you would be required to mount it high enough to allow it to slide over the door edge.just a thought. I use 6volt batteries so I know your pain. Good luck

szewczyk_john

Each battery box is 13 inches high each battery is 11 & 3/4 inches high. no handles but I have a caring tool that works. I do not have enough room to install the empty box and then to place each battery inside the box. I can handle the 2 batteries and in fact I have installed them twice and removed them twice since starting this mod. It just is not the easy to accomplish. The weather got below freezing twice since starting the MOD and I did not want to take any chances with my new 650.00 batteries. I then had to reinstall them to get the measurements for my 4/0 battery connections which I am custom making to size. The boxes have no handles and I do not want to weaken the boxes by drilling holes in them and I would also be afraid of the bolt head rubbing into the battery walls due to vibrations.

I never gave a thought to the sliding drawer/base idea but it won't work because of height restrictions with the way my landing gear and hydraulics is placed.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Each battery box is 13 inches high each battery is 11 & 3/4 inches high. no handles but I have a caring tool that works. I do not have enough room to install the empty box and then to place each battery inside the box. I can handle the 2 batteries and in fact I have installed them twice and removed them twice since starting this mod. It just is not the easy to accomplish. The weather got below freezing twice since starting the MOD and I did not want to take any chances with my new 650.00 batteries. I then had to reinstall them to get the measurements for my 4/0 battery connections which I am custom making to size. The boxes have no handles and I do not want to weaken the boxes by drilling holes in them and I would also be afraid of the bolt head rubbing into the battery walls due to vibrations.

I never gave a thought to the sliding drawer/base idea but it won't work because of height restrictions with the way my landing gear and hydraulics is placed.

Details, if not pictures, always help to get a picture of your mod....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jv75353

Have you done any searches on the Internet? Try searching "sliding battery tray for rv" when I did this there were many options to select from. Trays of varying sizes, brackets, battery boxes, sliding telescoping rails and a number of other items. Not sure what part you actually need but you may find something that works for you there.