Remove or just move low point drains

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Hi all,

I know the discussion about low point drains has been beat to death, but I need advice. We're planning winter travel, and expect the temp to be below freezing for much of the week. We are planning to add the heaters to the lines going to the farthest point (the kitchen), and the fresh water supply line from the tank to the pump, since it is a longer run, too. Plus, adding a tank heater to the fresh water. Along with that, the low-point drains tee-off from the lines to the kitchen sink. the "T" seems to hang close to the chloroplast underbelly, and so, last winter trip, this seemed to be a weak point for freezing.
Should we:

1. Eliminate the low-point drains altogether and shorten the water lines so they are not so low in the belly?

or

2. Try to get some of the heat wrap close to it and move the "T" higher up?

Thanks in advance.... and don't try to tell us not to go into freezing temps. We're flatlander Texans that love to SKI!:D

E

hoefler

Push the drains up into the under belly area and spray expanda-foam in the hole around it. The foam will seal off the hole, insulate the water line, and raise the water line off the belly skin.

Dale Smith

I have a new scenario to the low point drains discussion.

On my 2011 Bighorn 3055, I am told that there are no low point drains on the trailer. I searched for them after I received the trailer and when I could not find them, I contacted my dealer who informed me that they were not built with the low point drain.

He did tell me where the fresh water tank drain port should be located and I was able to find that one even though it was well hidden. On my next trip up to the dealer, he extended this freshwater tank drain port and added a drain cock shut off device for ease of access.

I expect others are ready aware of the no low point drains, on the most recent Bighorn models?

This is the first trailer I have had the does not these drain points.

I suspect I will need to trust the design of the trailer and with blowing out all the rest of the lines, any water left in there would not be an issue.

Feel free to chime in if you feel otherwise.

Thanks

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Dale, I have had both with and without low point drains. I prefer no drains such as we have on our 2011's.
I do not trust just blowing out the lines with air. I always run the pink stuff through the lines. Just my preference.

Peace
Dave

hoefler

On our 06, the outside shower in the door side basement access is the low point drain. I have never blown out any rig with air, even when I was working in a RV shop as a tech. Just hook a hose to the suction side of the pump, stick the other end in a jug of pink stuff, turn the pump on and start opening valves. Of course, bypass the water heater first.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Might be overkill, but I still blow out the lines with 40 psi air until clear (includes low point drains) and then pump in the antifreeze via the water pump, opening each faucet (on both hot and cold) until it runs pink. Pour a pint of AF into the washer drum and run a spin cycle per instructions, too. Last thing I do is pour some extra into all the drains, the toilet tank, and then the toilet bowl.

Since I have to take a generator to the storage yard to run the W/D, anyways, the small air compressor comes along for the ride.:)