Removed by OP

orion7144

Re: Predator 3500 powers up Big Country 3950FB

I love my Predator generator. I assume you got the inverter version. 1 thing I will caution is that if you have an EMS is to use a transfer switch after the EMS. The predator like most inverter generators uses a floating neutral and sometimes confuses the EMS (even in bypass). I have added a 2nd 50A plug to the inside of my UDC so I can plug the generator in to bypass the EMS and go to the transfer switch. I have run it while working on the rig in the storage lot and it will run the AC and other 110 items just fine. I have mine sit under the bedroom and it is not loud at all. Still working on a way to secure it so it doesn't walk away.

LBR

I love my Predator generator. I assume you got the inverter version. 1 thing I will caution is that if you have an EMS is to use a transfer switch after the EMS. The predator like most inverter generators uses a floating neutral and sometimes confuses the EMS (even in bypass). I have added a 2nd 50A plug to the inside of my UDC so I can plug the generator in to bypass the EMS and go to the transfer switch. I have run it while working on the rig in the storage lot and it will run the AC and other 110 items just fine. I have mine sit under the bedroom and it is not loud at all. Still working on a way to secure it so it doesn't walk away.
The easiest way to work around the EMS issue is to purchase or make a neutral.to.ground bonding plug. Here is one example:

https://www.microair.net/products/generator-bonding-plug?variant=12272654155860

orion7144

Did you install a 2nd transfer switch before beaker panel for the 2nd 50 amp plug? How did you add that 50 amp plug? Did you consider a 30 amp plug/cord to connect to generator?

I did not have a transfer switch or EMS with my unit. I installed it myself. I did consider a 30A receptacle but did not want to carry an extra cable. I have the factory 50A feeding the EMS then to the transfer switch. The 2nd 50a receptacle for the generator directly to the transfer switch.

danemayer

With the factory installed transfer switch, there'll be 4 wires in a junction box in the front compartment. Those wires go to the transfer switch. I think you'll find red and black, which are the 2 hot legs, a white, which is neutral, and a ground wire.

Your generator probably has a single hot wire, a neutral, and a ground. When you plug the 50 amp shore power cord into the 50-->30 adapter, the adapter connects the single hot wire to both of the 50 amp hot wires. That provides power to everything inside. When you connect the generator to a new connector in the front compartment, you'll need a similar arrangement.

You may want to install a twist-on 50 amp connector in the front compartment, similar to what the 50 amp shore power cord plugs into in the side of the trailer. With that, you'll probably have to fabricate the cord/adapter to the generator, but you won't have a "suicide cord" with live prongs, where it's possible to electrocute yourself if mishandled.

Our owner-written Electrical user guide has pictures, drawings, and explanations that may be helpful to you.