Removing my generator

Blue Oval

I haven't been able to figure out what the issue is with my generator so I was going to take it out and see if I can get it repaired. Anyone know how to get it out? It was factory installed in my 2014 road warrior 310. Thanks

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

HornedToad

What goes up must come down... I've never taken one out, but can list the steps to install one in reverse.

You could follow the installation manual from back to front...
https://www.norwall.com/product_pdfs/6023_hgjaa_spec_j_install_2015.pdf

Unplug remote start; Unhook the electrical connections, this is probably easier done at the junction box on the back wall of the battery compartment than inside the generator; Unhook the battery cables; Unhook the fuel lines; remove the tailpipe; removed the four mounting bolts from underneath the generator...

Now hear is the tricky part that I can give you some advice from past experience... buy a case of beer and invite two of you biggest friends over. Back up your pick-up with the tailgate down to set the generator on; Cut a piece of plywood to make a ramp to slide the generator out of the box on to the tailgate being careful not to damage the lip of the door frame. I could not get my generator in without cracking the battery compartment side of the sheet metal generator box by removing the screws and pulling it out of the way. Make sure you silicone it back in place to keep an airtight seal. Drink the rest of the beer!!!

Lynn1130

Am I missing something here? When I have had genny problems and that has not been often I have taken it to my RV repair shop and they do the work while it is still installed. It may be, considering the year of your trailer that it is still under warranty.

Blue Oval

What goes up must come down... I've never taken one out, but can list the steps to install one in reverse.

You could follow the installation manual from back to front...
https://www.norwall.com/product_pdfs/6023_hgjaa_spec_j_install_2015.pdf

Unplug remote start; Unhook the electrical connections, this is probably easier done at the junction box on the back wall of the battery compartment than inside the generator; Unhook the battery cables; Unhook the fuel lines; remove the tailpipe; removed the four mounting bolts from underneath the generator...

Now hear is the tricky part that I can give you some advice from past experience... buy a case of beer and invite two of you biggest friends over. Back up your pick-up with the tailgate down to set the generator on; Cut a piece of plywood to make a ramp to slide the generator out of the box on to the tailgate being careful not to damage the lip of the door frame. I could not get my generator in without cracking the battery compartment side of the sheet metal generator box by removing the screws and pulling it out of the way. Make sure you silicone it back in place to keep an airtight seal. Drink the rest of the beer!!!
Thanks, I have the manual so I'll look at. I was wondering how heavy it would be.

Blue Oval

Am I missing something here? When I have had genny problems and that has not been often I have taken it to my RV repair shop and they do the work while it is still installed. It may be, considering the year of your trailer that it is still under warranty.
It maybe still under warranty, I'll have to check. It's sitting at my hunting camp in Georgia and I live in Florida, so I was just trying to avoid dragging it back home.

avvidclif

Look up a local Onan Service Center/Dealer and take it (generator or trailer or both) to them. My local service center took 2 days. The warranty on an Onan Generator is 3 years from start of service, purchase date. Don't mess with an RV dealer.

Blue Oval

Look up a local Onan Service Center/Dealer and take it (generator or trailer or both) to them. My local service center took 2 days. The warranty on an Onan Generator is 3 years from start of service, purchase date. Don't mess with an RV dealer.
Awesome, thanks for the information I'll definitely check into that.

HornedToad

Awesome, thanks for the information I'll definitely check into that.

That is good advice from Cliff & Lynn. If you can find an Onan dealer close there is no need to pull it out and the stuff your unhooking may just be the problem.

You old timers can correct me if I'm wrong but for some of the 500 + hour service items and many repairs the unit has to be pulled. My dealer said they would have to pull the unit to change the spark plugs which is recommended @ 450 hours, I'm setting @ 800 hours as she purrs like a kitten with the original plugs so I haven't even considered changing them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim.Allison

The weight is 275 LBS, it is awkward to install and remove and requires some creativity. I have heard that the guys that repair them are really good at removing them from the garage.

However, one way to remove one is to get a common garden wagon with the drop down sides like you gan get at Northern Tool, fashion two rails that will ultimately slide under the gen, shim them up so that nothing rest on the door moulding, but rather the motor mounts only, raise or lower your rig until the rails you made will be level with the motor mounts nad wagon, get a healthy, strong young man to lay on his back and bench the cooling vent side (hot air exhaust side) while you slide one of the rails in under the generator and above the motor mount, with that done, raise and block the other side until you can get the other rail into place this will require a little effort and ingenuity as there is no real place to grab it and bench it except the cool air inlet, work with it you will get it blocked up high enough to get a rail under it. Lube the rail (2X4) or other material with what ever you have around, I used some 3 inch wide teak tongue and grove flooring, and some white lithium spray, and with all the lines and connections disconnected it should slide right out onto your garden wagon. To install, reverse process. 20 minutes and it should be out.

alwaysbusy

Onan is made by Cummins. Service centers can be found on their website. They have hook-ups for rv's so you may stay on their premises in your coach while they are servicing your unit or you may drop it. I've utilized Cummins for my previous hauler's Onan, they do great work; however, I will tell you they charge $110 an hour labor, it's not cheap. They probably charge more today seeming that was years ago. If your under warranty, use it and take the coach there, you won't be sorry either way.

Blue Oval

The weight is 275 LBS, it is awkward to install and remove and requires some creativity. I have heard that the guys that repair them are really good at removing them from the garage.

However, one way to remove one is to get a common garden wagon with the drop down sides like you gan get at Northern Tool, fashion two rails that will ultimately slide under the gen, shim them up so that nothing rest on the door moulding, but rather the motor mounts only, raise or lower your rig until the rails you made will be level with the motor mounts nad wagon, get a healthy, strong young man to lay on his back and bench the cooling vent side (hot air exhaust side) while you slide one of the rails in under the generator and above the motor mount, with that done, raise and block the other side until you can get the other rail into place this will require a little effort and ingenuity as there is no real place to grab it and bench it except the cool air inlet, work with it you will get it blocked up high enough to get a rail under it. Lube the rail (2X4) or other material with what ever you have around, I used some 3 inch wide teak tongue and grove flooring, and some white lithium spray, and with all the lines and connections disconnected it should slide right out onto your garden wagon. To install, reverse process. 20 minutes and it should be out.
My back is hurting just reading that lol, I'll try finding a service center close to my hunting lease or just wait till the season is over. Thanks for the info

Blue Oval

Onan is made by Cummins. Service centers can be found on their website. They have hook-ups for rv's so you may stay on their premises in your coach while they are servicing your unit or you may drop it. I've utilized Cummins for my previous hauler's Onan, they do great work; however, I will tell you they charge $110 an hour labor, it's not cheap. They probably charge more today seeming that was years ago. If your under warranty, use it and take the coach there, you won't be sorry either way.
Thanks, I'll see if I can locate one

Jim.Allison

My back is hurting just reading that lol, I'll try finding a service center close to my hunting lease or just wait till the season is over. Thanks for the info

LOL. That is why you will be the boss. The man with the plan never does the actual work, unless he has too.