Renting Your RV

TerribleTim68

Anyone ever do one of those "RVshare" or "Outdoorsy" type deals where you rent your RV out, kinda like an RV AirBnB? I'm just curious what the actual realities of it are vs the picture perfect realities they show online. Also wondering what the reality of a 41' toyhauler would be. Kinda limited on exactly who could rent it I'd think.

KyleC

Just thinking about all the things that go wrong every time I use it, let alone someone who is not familiar... I almost rented before I bought just to get a feel for it with my family. But now owning mine for a bit over a year and camped about 6 times, I have had something different go wrong each time.. this time the hot water heater decided to act up. So, to let someone else be on the receiving end of a problem seems a bit sketchy. How will they handle it?

2017 Pathfinder SL towing Heartland Prowler "lynx" 25lx

Kbvols

I do not have first hand experience however A guy that works we me does this. So far he has had positive experience. He rents out a 32' travel trailer. According to him he has some control over where the trailer is used at. The renters put down a $500 deposit. He rented his all last year and had only two minor issues costing less than a $100. He says he normally rents for around $125/night. He has his trailer rented for the whole month of January for $1300 to a retired couple deciding if they want to purchase a retirement RV as they have never RV'd.

Like many internet services it's all about the ratings earned for both customer and owner. His primary renters have been younger couples with young children wanting to experience camping without the expense/commitment of purchasing an RV or the hassle of a tent.

I believe a fifth wheel would be more difficult to rent unless willing to deliver and set up. I am seriously looking at buying an entry level trailer and setting it up just to rent out. I have more than enough "left behind " equipment from upgrading over the years that supplying a rental would not require additional expense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kowAlski631

Your insurance policy on the trailer may be voided by entering into a rental scenario. If the trailer was involved in any accident or damaged or destroyed in a weather event, you could find yourself out the cost of the trailer and on your own for damages to others - including lawsuits brought by the renters.

danemayer

Although I don't think there's ever been a report of a warranty claim being denied for this reason, I believe the warranty statement excludes coverage for trailers that are used for business purposes, including rental.

TerribleTim68

All good thoughts guys, appreciate the comments.

It seems like you can find as many stories of success as you can thoughts of how horribly wrong it could go. I know the rental program companies claim to have insurance programs that cover any issues such as crashes or the like. But the whole thought just scares me and you can find just as many stories of how bad that whole insurance program worked when needed too. My wife is of the "no f-ing way" mindset, I really don't know how I feel. I think I may let her win this one. :p

Loren1227

Just one more comment.

My Buddy did this a few times last year although the extra money was nice the stress of someone else using your Trailer and taking out all your personal belongings out while they use your trailer in his opinion was not worth it.

sengli

after seeing many newbies, show up at campgrounds with their rigs, and not a clue as where the water goes in, or how the jacks work etc. No way would I ever do this.

mlpeloquin

All it takes is one to beet the heck out of the interior. You would be playing Russian roulette with your rig. Most maybe OK, but it only takes one. Do you really want to take a chance?

stateofdade

There's a guy who brokers everything here, including the setup and cleanup. He handles it all and is bonded.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

2PawsRiver

Though I have not rented out any RV's, I have rented them from Alaska, Oregon and Maine. I have rented from an individual, a company and via RVShare. We always took care of the unit and returned it the same or better shape. We did damage a hubcap one time and replaced it without issue.

Even though we took care of the RV, I doubt I would rent my own out.

Lynn1130

Way too many moving parts for someone who has never been in a trailer or been in one a few times. I am way too picky about my equipment to loan something that complicated out.