REPAIRED: Onan 5500 w/ Error Code 14

TX_Clay

I woke up this morning to the sound of silence, not good, seeing we are dry camping and running the generator for supplemental electric heat in the trailer. I crawled out of bed and looked at the control panel. The switch is flashing 3 times, pause and 3 times. I assume this is code 33? I throw the 50 AMP breaker in the panel off and go outside to the genny. Checked the oil level, again, just to make sure it was still good. Engine compartment was warm, not hot. Pressed the start switch and the generator roared back to life. Felt the transfer switch engage, went back inside and flipped the breaker back on and power was restored. Seems to be running fine, no surging, steady run.
So my question is? Is the code 33 or is this just letting me know something happened and I need to do more to get the code? AND Any thoughts as to what may have happened? Have run it close to 154 hours since I got it back in October 2014 without a hick-up.

Last edited:

hoefler

Re: Onan 5500

Depending on how cold it got to during the night, it could be fuel starved if the propane boil off was slowed due to low ambient temperature.

TX_Clay

First of all, Thanks for the link to the Trouble Shooting codes. I was reading it incorrectly. Have a secondary fault code of 14.
This is what the manual said:
OVERFREQUENCY FAULT—CODE NO. 14
(Engine governor unable to maintain rated frequency)
Corrective Action:
See an authorized Onan dealer.

That is encouraging. Will go ahead and run the generator and see if we get it again. I am thinking I may have had to much running at once if both heaters cycled on at the same time and loaded the genny up. Hopefully it was a fluke. Thanks for the quick replies.

TX_Clay

OK, It wasn't a one an done scenario. Did it 2 more times last night. Sounds like I need to find a place to have it looked at. Last time I was at the dealership, they told me that they were not a certified Onan center, so they couldn't service it or do warranty work. (Hopefully this is warranty) Will do a quick Goole to find one in Fort Worth area, hopefully.

santafedave

Santafedave

Hello TX. I had the same codes thrown on my 5500. I took it to a Cummins dealer and they inspected and repaired mine. Here was my complaint "Repair for genes codes 14." Correction "weak governor spring" the spring cost me $2.18 and the Labor $256.00. They did check everything on my genset and ran it thru there computerized system to check the brushes 33 OHMS no grounds vacuum, etc... Try to find a Cummins dealer in your area they will do your repair and warranty work for you.

TX_Clay

Spoke with a Cummins service department this morning. They confirmed that it should be under warranty (2 years or 1000 hrs). Unfortunately, I scheduled the TV for some body repair work for this week. Will have to take it in next week. Will let everyone know what they find out when I get it in. Thanks again for all of the advice.

TX_Clay

Dropped the Rig off at the Cummins Service Center yesterday. When I spoke to the tech, he mentioned that code 14 was pretty ambiguous code and it could be caused by a number of different things. He was going to run it and see if he could duplicate the shut down. Hope it does it in a few hours and not 20 hours or more. BTW, when I checked my email later that day. I had received an email saying a work order had been opened and would receive progress reports as the tech entered the data. Maybe the dealerships should look into this type of notification system to keep their customers "informed" as to whats going on on their rigs? Just a thought. Will post more as I get information.

TX_Clay

Received an email yesterday evening showing Technicians comments and testing procedures, along with description of failure. Seems the electric fuel pump was failing. He was able to duplicate the issue. All under warranty and TH will be ready for pick up on Friday. Now that is how service should be!