Replace the couch in the slide

CMueller

I would like to replace the couch in my slide with a small table and chairs. Is there any reason not to do this? I've heard of people doing the opposite and having issues with the slide due to increase in weight. My table and chairs are much lighter. The couch is a full size reclining sofa.
Thank you,

sengli

Your going the right way, removing something heavy, and replacing it with something lighter. Be careful when you screw the tables base down to the floor, not to use screws too long and penetrate the floors exterior.

thewanderingeight

I would agree with sengli. I also second not using screws that are too long as they will scratch the floor when you move the slide. I may have found that out the hard way :rolleyes:.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I'll add my 2 cents, my table hasn't been screwed to the floor since it came from the dealer 11 years ago.
So you might not need to screw it to the floor. It's nice to have the option of moving it.

Peace
Dave

david-steph2018

We removed 2 sections of our 5-section couch and replaced it with a desk/chair. We didn't secure the desk to the floor on our install.

MTPockets

FYI if anyone ever needs to bolt down a new chair, etc in the slide. I used a couple Stainless Steel Elevator Bolts. These have a flat head that don't stick out after installed, and worked great for me to secure a couple LazyBoy recliners to replace the sofa. With the slide open, mark the exact position, keeping in mind chair position and clearances when the slide is moved in. In the appropriate place, Drill a through hole, insert the bolt from outside, then secure inside with a washer and nut. The threaded end of the Elevator Bolt is ready for insertion into your chair frame and secured with s second washer and nut. N my case, I didn't need the second nut. I just drilled a hole in the chair frame and lifted the chair onto the bolt. That always kept the chairs from moving when traveling, which we did full time for five years.
1645633664430.jpeg