Replaced Floor on dining slide out

2TrakR

Replaced the floor on our dining/couch slide out (the big slide). Of course the floor is 99" inches and change, so a regular 8' sheet of plywood is 3" too short.

Amazed how much water damage was done on the piece we pulled out, don't see how it could have been AC rated plywood, it was mush on the outside and rear edge. We noticed it last year where the trim was falling off the lower rear edge as the wood could no longer hold the screws from deteriorating.

Videos on youtube helped to show how the replacement works in general, though this floor had to go to the inside and then out, instead of just dropping out underneath.
Contacted Heartland to get a replacement part once I determined that we'd have to get a special size and was delighted to find out that we could order it through them. I was then disappointed to hear that it would be 1-2 weeks before they would be able to contact me and determine cost for shipping and then schedule the part to be shipped to me (2-3 week at minimum it sounded). Part was ~$200 but no idea on what shipping would have been. If you can plan your repair, then order the part at least a month ahead of time. We ended up making our own part. We also spent a lot of time with epoxy application on all edges and such to help it last much longer than the original piece.

Disappointed that a 5 year old 5th wheel has that level of structural failure. Not certain how it was getting water into it, other than by design. All of the sealant and seals were in place until the trim popped off (clearly after the damage had set in).

Never did one of these before, so posting this to let others know if they can run a screw gun and have a little patience and a bit of muscle (or help) then it's something they can do themselves as well.

Now on our first trip of the season and first one after the repair. Slide has gone in/out multiple times and nobody has fallen out of the rig yet ;-) Hope that trend continues...

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Got photos and/or instructions? I found a small area of damage in the outside corner of my slide. Although I covered the exposed ends of all slides, the wood behind the fender was still exposed. Only about 6" square, but it's a project to repair it this summer.

caissiel

Good thing you used a local supplied plywood. My 2009 slide floor sheeting is what we called garbage at the Home supply store I worked at.
I have been watching and protecting mine since the unit was new.
I am glad you were able to change it. It gives me hope.

Sent from my B1-710 using Tapatalk

2TrakR

This is the YouTube video I watched to get an idea how it would work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItckXrP8wa0

My floor had to come out through the inside, the floor would not drop out the bottom. This actually made it easier.

Roughly:
Inside - remove shades and valence so you can pull up the couch seat backs. Remove the rest of the seat/furniture.
Outside, remove the lower outside trim on either end. Attach the 2x4 like in the YT video to support it.remove the rest of the screws holding the floor. There are sheet metal screws around the perimeter that screw up into the metal frame on the outside three walls. There are several lag bolts that bolt the sliding frame mechanism to the unit, attaches to the outer wall. Unlike the YT vid, I didn't have to fully retract the slide mechanism, only brought it part way back in. It worked as a floor support that way and allowed me to do all this solo.
Did have to lift the inside of the slide up and block it, so there was no pressure on the floor from the inside portion - the outside was held by the 2x4.

Reverse process to put back in. I put in new screws for most of the ones that were rusted. I also used fancy caulk on a couple spots on the very bottom that I'm thinking now maybe should have used something different. The stuff stays pliable, which isn't working the best since it's being rubbed as the slide goes in/out. Not hurting anything, just a little mess.

carl.swoyer

You can order a replacement for the floor from heartland parts. Its 1" thick and has a vinyl membrane on the exterior surface

Carl & Christine, 2012 Landmark Rushmore, 2005 Silverado crew cab lt 8 foot bed 6.6 lly /Allison -custom dual exhaust-205000 miles !

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
You can order a replacement for the floor from heartland parts. Its 1" thick and has a vinyl membrane on the exterior surface

Carl & Christine, 2012 Landmark Rushmore, 2005 Silverado crew cab lt 8 foot bed 6.6 lly /Allison -custom dual exhaust-205000 miles !

Wonder what shipping costs would be on that. Covering the bottom of these floors isn't really the problem. It's the exposed edges, including the one along the outside length of the wall. There is little to no protection along that length against rain running down the wall behind the fender or road spray getting up in there.

carl.swoyer

It's freight charges mine was around 100$