Replacement tires

We have a Big Country 33', 3 slides, 2008, with ST235/80R/16 E tires. I would like to know if I could replace these tires with LT235/85/16 E tires and would it have any adverse effect on the trailer? Weight wise they are compatable, not sure concerning the height and width, will it damage the trailer? Also I was told that I could go down to the LT245/85/16 E tires and it would be as good a ride without any problems.

What I need is USA made tires (listed above) and cant seem to find them in the town.and tires.

Should I stay with the China tires ST235/80R/16 E or change to a different tire size. Still hard to find USA made tires.

Thanks

Bill

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Bill, the only USA made trailer tire is the G614 Goodyear but it's a G rated tire. It will still work on your wheels. I believe your wheels are rated for the heavier load range. Another alternative is a comparable diameter Michelin or BF Goodrich E rated truck tire. Several members are using the Michelins LTX.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Bill, if you have cast aluminum wheels....check on the backside of the wheel. There should be a stamped or cast "110#" on one of the spokes. If it's there, then you can run an E rated tire. I put on the GY G614's. G rated tires are the way to go.

Last edited:

jnbhobe

Bill, if you have cast aluminum wheels....check on the backside of the wheel. There should be a stamped or cast "110#" on one of the spokes. If it's there, then you can run an E rated tire. I put on the GY G614's. E rated tires are the way to go.

I think Bob means G- Rated tires, thats what the Goodyear 614's are.

wazz_zup

I went from Unicorn Express tires to the Goodyear G614's. You should have no problem with the clearance and the ride. I find they actually don't heat up as much as the china bombs when on long trips. Oh, and they were made in the USA. (Stamped right on them). Are your china bombs wearing unevenly? I ran mine for three years with ok results. Just gotta watch them like a hawk and it wouldn't hurt to get a tpms system.

Last edited:

GOTTOYS

Unicorn Express...Hee-hee..Aren't they a major supplier to NASCAR? I could just see one of those Hendrick Motorsports cars all lettered up with "Unicorn Express" all over it getting laughed off the track...Don