Replacing Batteries

I have owned my RV for exactly one year now, and I need to replace the two deep cycle 12v batteries. All the terminals are corroded. Any ideas why? Where should I look for troubles? Thank you for any and all suggestions.

CoveredWagon

I have owned my RV for exactly one year now, and I need to replace the two deep cycle 12v batteries. All the terminals are corroded. Any ideas why? Where should I look for troubles? Thank you for any and all suggestions.

go to any auto parts store and buy some terminal spray. Exposure to acid and humidity cause the corrosion. We have it on golf carts all the time. Not mine of course.

Apropdoc

Utah Chapter Leaders-retired
The corrosion is a natural event that will occur with lead acid batteries. You should get a terminal brush and a wire 'toothbrush' to keep the terminals cleaned. Cleaning should happen when you check for fluid levels in the batteries (unless they are sealed AGM type). Some people spray stuff all over their batteries, but I prefer to clean with water and baking Soda powder (small amount) and with the brushes. Doing this will also increase the life of each battery.

Gaffer

Dealers install the batteries. Usually not top of the line. Always replace them in pairs.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I use a battery terminal protector !!!!
Use the cleaner first if needed.
I use it on all of my batteries. They will stay clean and corrosion free for years.

This is what I use
0a4c657ea0bc3c19e699b3fff81bb49f.jpg

The beer is for me

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Big-B

How old are your batteries? It may be just the corroded connections making your batteries look bad. Before buying new batteries I would clean all of the connections and try charging them again and see how they look.

Also, I would strongly consider using a pair of 6 volt golf cart batteries hooked up in a series instead of 12 volt batteries. I have been using golf cart batteries for many years and they last longer than the 12 volt ones that I used to use and have more capacity. I just added 4 Trojan T105 golf cart batteries and unhooked the single 12 volt battery by the slide pump. It gives me a fair amount of capacity for while we are dry camping like we have been for the last 6 weeks and will be doing for the next 8 weeks. I hope this helps.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

How old are your batteries? It may be just the corroded connections making your batteries look bad. Before buying new batteries I would clean all of the connections and try charging them again and see how they look.

Also, I would strongly consider using a pair of 6 volt golf cart batteries hooked up in a series instead of 12 volt batteries. I have been using golf cart batteries for many years and they last longer than the 12 volt ones that I used to use and have more capacity. I just added 4 Trojan T105 golf cart batteries and unhooked the single 12 volt battery by the slide pump. It gives me a fair amount of capacity for while we are dry camping like we have been for the last 6 weeks and will be doing for the next 8 weeks. I hope this helps.
I think that 6 volt batteries are really good advice for someone that dry camps. However if you are just your everyday camper going to parks with full hookups I think the "12V maintenance free deep cycle group 27 RV batteries" are a better way to go. You will not have to keep checking the water levels and keep filling them up.
You can just use them hassle free for many years.
Now if your someone that keeps using your batteries up then recharging them often the 6V are a much better option.

This is just my opinion and what I use.

Jerrod

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

pegmikef

Dealers install the batteries. Usually not top of the line. Always replace them in pairs.

My dealer told me the one he used cost $15 and they were a generic no brand battery. I put that one in my son's beater (lasted 4 years) and replaced it with two group 27 deep cycle batteries.

Scottz

A quick way to clean the corrosion is to pour some Coke or other soda on it, it will dissolve right off. The rinse with water, dry and apply the protective spray.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk