Replacing Chairs

jbeletti

Ken,

My La-Z-Boy model is their Recline-A-Way style. I am told that you cannot add the swivel/rocker base to the Recline-A-Way. We got this style so we can keep them 3-4" from the wall and still fully recline. A few more weeks to go before ours come in. The standard fabric for our model was a light to medium blue. I like the color blue but it sure would clash in my trailler.

Waiting......

Jim

K

Ken Washington

Jim,
I am waiting for pictures of your new chairs. Hope they get to you soon!
Ken

BluegrassMan

Hey Guy's:

Not far from MY house is a "Customizer" that does Vans, Tow-Rigs, Pickups etc. He has a sign out front that says: Order RV & Marine furniture here. There may be a place in your area as well to check out. FYI

Midastouch

What chairs ... exactly?

With all this talk about chair replacement ... I was wondering what chairs everyone seems to be replacing. I have my GC on order and have chosen to go with the Ultra leather recliners as an option ... Have I made a mistake and wished I had not spent the extra money. They seem to be nice and comfy ... weight is not a factor here as I will not be on the road as much but will be fulltiming in my unit for awhile.

I'm not sure now what the unit comes with ... are the Bighorn standard chairs different from the Landmark chairs or what? Help me out with my confusion about chairs please! :confused: Anyone!
I'd like to see some pics of what you all have or what I might change in my order before it's too late.

jbeletti

Lynne,

In the 2005 Landmark, the standard chairs were cloth. Leather was an available upgrade. Not sure what is standard now.

Mine are what I would call over-stuffed FlexSteel swivel, rocker, recliners. When used in the rear cap, we had no issue with them. We like to use the chairs to watch television in and prefer to sit across from the TV so we keep the chairs in the dinette slide and the sofa in the rear cap.

With the chairs we have, in order to fully recline, you have to pull them well out into the room. And they are heavy to pull out then put back for travel.

So we went with slightly narrower La-Z-Boy chairs that use the Reclina-Way base that allows them to recline fully but require being only 3-4" from the back wall. We give up the swivel/rocker features however.

Did you make a bad choice? Only you can answer that based on your own needs.

Bet of luck.

Jim

Midastouch

I guess I was just concerned about everyone replacing the chairs that I am paying extra for .... (ultra leather recliners) I did not want cloth recliners and didn't know that is what you were replacing. I think I made the right choice but wanted to be sure I understand what all the chair changes were about!

Thanks! How about someone letting me know what they think about their "Ultra leather recliner" option?

K

Ken Washington

Lynne,
I do not think you have made a mistake. We changed ours because they were cheap cloth and were not holding up to wear. The couch had the same problem. Had we ordered, we would have got the Euro Chairs which would not take up as much space. If you think the Euro Chairs would be better, change your order.
Ken

Midastouch

I think I will like the leather recliners ... I had thought about the euro chairs but don't like their light color ... the recliners definately look more "home like" and that is what I want.

Thanks for the input....just wanted to be sure!;)

BluegrassMan

Hi All:
I just thought I'd interject something in the mix of posts on this subject. When I ordered our 05' GC, the factory rep at the RV show & the RV dealer kept touting the benefits of the "Ultra" leather option. I said Naw, I'll just go with the cloth as the "Ultra" option is NOT leather. They looked at me like I were NUTS.
In REALITY Ultra Leather is actually a VERY HIGH GRADE of vinyl made to LOOK like leather, FEEL like SOFT leather, but doesn't smell of leather. I get around many HIGH-END Streetrods with Ultra Leather interiors. They look great, feel great, just not leather. I couldn't go the EXTRA $$$ for the 2005 version of Naugahide. Tell me exactly how many "Naugas" have to die to make it. Tee-hee.
The recliners in my last 5ver, SeaBreeze(National RV), were a slightly smaller scale, and were a wall hugger style. Just my 2 cents worth.

Midastouch

I hear ya on the "real leather" issue ... was just quoting what the upgrade was referred to! I saw and sat in some and thought they were fairly nice looking "faux" leather, or whatever you want to call them. I guess since I was given a choice ... I chose to pay extra to get rid of the cloth recliners!:D Is anything really real anymore?????:rolleyes:
I appreciate all the input!

jpmorgan37

Hi Lynne;
We bought the ultra leather recliners because they were so comfortable. Well, one of them was and the other had the head rest stuffed so full that you couldn't lean your head back. We moved them into the slide and moved the sofa into the back. Now you could eat at the dinette if you were skinny. Long story short, we bought a wonderful love seat and took out the sleeper sofa and one of the ultra leather recliners. I built a small desk in the rear corner and will keep one of the recliners back there and the love seat is in the slide which now give us room to eat way too much if we are so inclined. I am also going to move the dining table several inches so that anyone sitting next to the window won't have to squeeze in to their seat. You are going to be living in yours, and the recliners are "big" and heavy. Think about it. If I had it to do over again, I would have ordered it without furniture.

Midastouch

I like your idea of one recliner and a small desk ... it will be just me most of the time and I will probably put the sofa in the back ... would there be room behind the sofa if I wanted to put a "buffet type" table back there under the window for plants, etc... just curious .... I have two in the house and would like to utilize one of them for that purpose. The table top would be about 12", maybe ... I guess I'll just have to wait until I get the GC home and "decorate and re-organize".

K

Ken Washington

Lynne, John said it best! I did not know that you were going to live in your trailer. If I were going full time, I would buy my own chairs and couch. The couch that Heartland put in our trailer was not worth $100.00 and the chairs took up too much room!
Ken

Midastouch

:( Well ..... I guess I need to decide what to do pretty soon! I would consider just getting one of the optional chairs instead of two .... :confused:

jbeletti

Not sure what the delete credit would be on the standard furniture. If it's like trying to delete a bundled monitor when ordering a Dell computer, it won't be much. May be better off taking the standard furniture, then donating it to someone in need, if you elect to replace it with something that works better for you.

We have donated our chairs to family.

Jim

Midastouch

Jim ... that is what I was thinking too! I still like the idea of the optional "ultra vinyl" chair .... maybe taking one of them out when I get home and giving it to my son for the house. :)

jpmorgan37

I don't know, but a phone call to Butch will answer the question for you. I'm selling mine at auction so I'll be glad to get $100 for the couch. The sofa bed isn't bad but the fabric is very poor quality. Other than being heavy, the one chair that we are keeping is very comfortable. Hope that I can get half of what we paid but thats life. I've got it pretty good. Wanna come to my auction? Check out the auction bill. There are two listings, one for the real estate and one for the personal property. It's on the left side of the page on August 19th. We're commited to going fulltime. http://www.midwestauctions.com/north%20country/_private/index.html

John

phranc

John ..Looked at the auction site and listings.. Holy Cow.. That had to be a tough decision to sell..

jpmorgan37

Hi phranc,
Yes and no. We talked about it all winter and were ready to do it until we got home in Mid April. We looked around and DW said "I'm not sure":confused: so we waited. We left again for a month and when we got home the end of June, we both were ready. Now, do we store it or sell it, so you see our decision. There will be four auctioneers working at least two rings to get it all done in one day. We have way too much stuff, so better to do it now while we can rather than wait and our kids have to dispose of it. So, when we get too old to do it in another 10 to 20 years,;) we'll get a town house or condo and let somebody else take care of it.:D We are very comfortable with our decision at this point in time.