Replacing Chairs

Trap

Good Luck with your auction and your new adventure. While it may be tough to leave all that stuff I'm sure the new adventure(s) will more than make up for it.None

Trap

jbeletti

New La-Z-Boy Chairs are in the Mt. Rushmore

Our La-Z-Boy Reclina-Way chairs arrived in 6 weeks vs. the 10 quoted. They look great too. Picked them up Tuesday and put them in the trailer last night (Friday). Love 'em so far. We did find ourselves trying to turn in them a couple times. The original recliners were swivel/rocker units.

Below is my quick review of them:

Coloring:
I have the Martha's Vineyard interior. I think it was 1 of the 3 original interior choices. The sofa has a lot of rust coloring. The window valances have tan, green and rust coloring. The dinette chairs have the rust coloring. As such, we ordered the new recliners with a rust orange coloring. The original recliners were green. We like the change. Brightens it up in there too.

Operation:
The Reclina-Way feature is nice. Put these units 3" from the rear wall and you can fully recline. With the blinds being mounted on the surface of the wall, I am using the recliners 4" from the rear wall to keep my head off the blinds when pulled down.

The chair can be used in a couple of recline modes. The first mode is a partial recline where the seat glides forward and the back goes back slightly.

Another mode is fully reclined where the seat glides fully forward and the back goes back a bit farther (about 3" to 4" total).

Finally, pull the handle and the full-chaise foot rest/area extends.

Placement:
With the original recliners, to fully recline in them, we needed to pull them out of the slide room about a foot. With the new chairs, in order to fully recline, I need only pull it forward until the front edge of the seat cushion is even with the front edge of the slide room carpet. I'd say that we have recovered about 1 foot of additional walk-around space in the livingroom area. For me, this is significant.

Comparison/Conclusion:
We like them - a lot :D Time will tell how they will hold up. Maybe I am hard on furniture (I'm sure I am) but the original Flexsteel units began to have issues. Okay, the first issue was for sure my fault. Early on, I tried using the small end table between the chairs. Due to the size of the chairs, when I swiveled around, my chair knocked a glass of wine off the table, staining the back of the chair and the floor. So that was my fault for sure. After a year of quite a bit of use, I noticed the rear-top corner of one chair, pulling apart a bit. I could see staples where the fabric was stapled to the chair back frame but was pulling away. On the other chair, a tear developed in the material in the fabric flap that covers the rear mechanism and Velcros to the bottom unit. It looked like a wear sort of tear. Maybe the flap was pulled down too tight, then Velcroed. Could be my fault - not sure if I ever adjusted it.

One of the biggest difference is the shear size and weight difference. These replacement chairs are narrower and without the swivel/rocker mechanism, are much lighter.

When we slide the room in we no longer have to turn the chairs. And those Flexsteel chairs were heavy to manuever into place (at each end of each trip).

In conclusion, while I admit that the Flexsteel chairs were more comfortable due to their wider seat width and over stuffing, we have no regrets for making the change. I just hope they hold up both in fabric wear and in overall construction

Jim

Attachments

• chair_fully_upright_3_inches_from_wall_sm.jpg
    chair_fully_upright_3_inches_from_wall_sm.jpg
    476.8 KB · Views: 74
  • chair_reclined_chaise_down_sm.jpg
    chair_reclined_chaise_down_sm.jpg
    468.3 KB · Views: 59
  • chair_fully_reclined_sm.jpg
    chair_fully_reclined_sm.jpg
    437.8 KB · Views: 70

jpmorgan37

Jim;
For what it's worth. I bought a Lazy Boy for our house five years ago and it didn't swivel, just rocked and reclined. I asked the salesman if they had a swivel rocker, recliner and he said "we have the swivels for that one" and $50 later I had my swivel too. It was about a 10 minute installation. I took off four screws, removed the old base and installed the new base with the same four screws. You might want to ask your salesman.
Good luck.

Paul & Nan

Jim-your chairs look very much like the ones we bought, except we got the leather ones, did not have to order, they had them in the store. Have not gotten to use them yet, rig is at the dealers for some minor work. They ere very comfortable in the store. We have seen that no moving at all should be needed, and agree, very light weight. Nancy

jbeletti

Hi John,

I think because we have the Reclina-Way base, that it will not accept a swivel base. But I will give our local store a call just to verify. It would be nice to know for certain - just in case we want to upgrade the base features. Thanks.

Hi Nancy,

That's neat. I'd like to see them next time we see each other. I didn't make it inside your trailer at the rally. I'll have 11 months (less winter) use on my new chairs by then and can report better on how they are doing and how we are feeling about them.

Jim

Niles

Another option that we went with is rocker gliders, they rotate around, recline and rock. We bought them after we tried the euro chairs that heartland has, just didn't work for us. They are built by amish Lambwright Alu, in Shipshewana, IN. We love them, I had a lazy-boy in the house, but really prefer my Glider. Just another option.

jimtoo

The euro chairs are comfortable, but, it seems like every time you go to get up and move, the foot stool is in your way, floor space is precious in our trailers, and to us, we could never find a place to put the foot stool out of the way. We went with Lazyboy swivel, rocker recliners this time.