Replacing "smoked" windows

DruidZ

So I have this problem (see photo) on a few of my windows. I have been calling around to see what my options are. Some people tell me that they can be repaired but most tell me that they have to be replaced.

I called the dealer that the unit was originally purchased from. I have a 2010 but they say that they can only get parts going back to 2011.

WTF?!! That can't be right. Isn't it the older units that need replacement parts?

Any suggestions? Is there someone (preferably in Canada) that can sell 2010 windows.

Attachments

• 20180629_2956.jpg
    20180629_2956.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 101

jbeletti

I assume your windows are dual pane? Looks like the seal is blown.

I've only heard of a couple places in Florida that can fix this (remove windows, disassemble them, clean glass, reassemble with new/improved seals and reinstall.

Over the years, I've seen pics like this. In some cases, the windows were exposed to extreme sunlight for prolonged periods. In some cases, they had reflective material on the inside of the windows and that helps to super heat the air between the panes, accelerating the seal issue. Sort of hard to not expose windows to sunlight (other than exterior shading).

Is your glass Hehr or Kinro? Consider giving Lippert a call to discuss replacement windows - 866-524-7821

jbeletti

Thanks. I requested a quote from them. Not sure how long to wait for a reply. Sounds like what I want although I am not normally in Florida. Does anyone have any ideas about similar services in AZ, TX or LA? I expect to be passing through those states this winter.

I did a Google search and came up with several matches. Look at this one in AZ: http://www.autoglassboss.com/

carl.swoyer

I assume your windows are dual pane? Looks like the seal is blown.

I've only heard of a couple places in Florida that can fix this (remove windows, disassemble them, clean glass, reassemble with new/improved seals and reinstall.

Over the years, I've seen pics like this. In some cases, the windows were exposed to extreme sunlight for prolonged periods. In some cases, they had reflective material on the inside of the windows and that helps to super heat the air between the panes, accelerating the seal issue. Sort of hard to not expose windows to sunlight (other than exterior shading).

Is your glass Hehr or Kinro? Consider giving Lippert a call to discuss replacement windows - 866-524-7821
There's a place in Hudson FL that reseals thermopane windows. Very expensive!. All of mine are cloudy. I do have two new windows in my garage just have to r n r them.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

dave10a

As a past dual pane owner that will never get them again, I have determined that they are a very bad investement... RVs that travel are not a good platform for dual pane. The flexing and twisting an RV experiences is most likely the cause of the leaks. It is much better to shade standard windows than invest in the expensive dual pane option that is destine for expensive repair....

danemayer

As a past dual pane owner that will never get them again, I have determined that they are a very bad investement... RVs that travel are not a good platform for dual pane. The flexing and twisting an RV experiences is most likely the cause of the leaks. It is much better to shade standard windows than invest in the expensive dual pane option that is destine for expensive repair....
Our 2011 LM has close to 60,000 miles on it and no problems with the dual pane windows. Maybe the problem on yours isn't going to happen to every trailer.

DruidZ

There's a place in Hudson FL that reseals thermopane windows. Very expensive!. All of mine are cloudy.

I checked out Auto Glass Boss in AZ. They will come to your location (within reason I assume) and work on them on site. They claim $100 per "section" which, as far as I can tell, means per pane.

Since our winter plans this year include AZ we will put up with the fog for now and deal with it in October. I was only going to do the three worst ones but at that price I might do more.

carl.swoyer

My 07 Cedar Creek had thermopane windows. Not one had any issues with the smoky and cloudy glass
I believe that the real problem is with how they are made.

carl.swoyer

When Suncoast replaced ours it was $300 which included new glass.
Where is Suncoast. And how many sections of the window did they do? By sections I mean my dining table window has three sections, the upper stationary and the two lower crank outs. The quoted me $250.00 for each section. I thought that was outrageous.

MTPockets

We were full time over four years and travelled from FL to WA, CA, AZ, OH and in between many times.. dual panes were perfect all the time. I believe any problems are small percentage compared to the total units out there.