Replacing Tow Max on our Cyclone

RVDreaming

Looking for suggestions for replacing the Tow Max tires on our Cyclone 4100 King. We've considered Goodyear Marathon and Maxxis. Tire size 235/80/R16. Which is the best for reliability and are there any other options?

Thanks!

Craig & Shanna
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King
2014 F350 Dually

Miltp920

You can read MUCH about replacement ideas if you search this site. I replaced my 2 axle with 12 ply Carlisle RH tires. Most others would recommend the Salin tire or Good Year G614. Best thing you can do is get the Towmax off as soon as you can make it happen.

Lynn1130

Do a search here and you will find volumes about those tires and what some have replaced them with. What tire is like what truck, it produces very long threads with ideas from everywhere.

MagnoliaTom

My tow max were less than 6 months old and less than 1500 miles. I always thought the statement "get them off asap, it's not matter of if, but when" was hyperbole. Now I know it's 100% accurate. Get them off sooner than later. Even with proper inflation and TPMS, they will fail

bobca1

I replaced mine last month. Not a difficult decision after reading the numerous horror stories on here (stranded on side of road and/or thousands in damage). Consensus seems to be if you can afford it get the Goodyears. As others mentioned the other options are Sailun or Carlisle which are about 1/2 the cost. I did my research and went with Sailuns they were $1050 out the door installed (for 5). Goodyears would have been $2000.

Kosanko

Look for the Goodyear G614's and not the Marathons!!!

If you are going to BUY make sure you Buy right!!! the first time especially if you are hauling toys!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim.Allison

Ditto on the G614s for the man that has the money, the 614s is the tire. Anything else is mickey mouse. There are other solutions, but nothing really beats the G614 for price and capability.

RVDreaming

Thanks for the replies. I'm afraid on my triple axle rig I do not have enough clearance between tires for the G614. I currently only have a 2 inch clearance, I do not want to risk the tires rubbing. Also, the load rating on the Maxxis is showing 3420, the load rating on the G614 is showing 3720. Is it really worth that much more money and that much more pressure to gain the load rating difference? If I'm calculating this correctly the Goodyears would give me 22,500 and the Maxxis would be 20,520, both over my rig's GCRW of 18K. I'm leaning towards the Maxxis for price and from what I've read quality. Any thoughts on the clearance issue though, if I decide to invest in the G614?

Dloebrich

For our Cyclone 4000 we went with Goodyear G 614 and are very happy with them.
make sure your wheels are stamped for 110 psi

I replaced my Tow Max tires with the Goodyear G614s. Didn't want to be a statistic. Only been on one trip so far with them. So far so good. Didn't stress about a blow out on the trip. :)

Jim.Allison

The G614 will way out perform that milage figure. Totally different tires.

The G614 warranty is not a mileage based warranty, it is warranted for free replacement during the first 2/32 of tread wear, then prorated after that until the treadwear indicators show or 4 years.

The diameter of the G614 is smaller than the Maxxis 8008 and the tread depth is 3/32 deeper than the Maxxis 8008. There is absolutely no comparison between the tires.

The number one reason that you might not be able to use the G614 is that you rims may not be able to accommodate the G614. Not the diameter of the tire.

As far as the load ratings, the G614 will provide fully 10% more load capability. But you are right the load rating for the Maxxis is adequate. But there is a difference between a full service, continuous duty commercial tire v. a E rated ST tire. There is a reason the G614s cost so much and it aint cause Goodyear is selling tires to chumps. Make up your mind to mind to do one thing and that is to get away from ST tires. It does not matter if you go with a G614, what you need to do is get away from ST and over to LT.

As far as the Maxxis being a good tire, I'm sure it is compared to other ST tires, but it is not a good tire compared to LTs, and is certainly no match for the G614 or the 614 equivalents.

brianlajoie

I replaced mine last month. Not a difficult decision after reading the numerous horror stories on here (stranded on side of road and/or thousands in damage). Consensus seems to be if you can afford it get the Goodyears. As others mentioned the other options are Sailun or Carlisle which are about 1/2 the cost. I did my research and went with Sailuns they were $1050 out the door installed (for 5). Goodyears would have been $2000.

If you look carefully, there are better deals on the Goodyears. My upgrade for the 614's was $1400 for 5 tires. Includes mounting, steel valves and balancing. This may help the pain with the upgrade.

Jim.Allison

If it comes from China, I don't want it, I don't care if Goodyear made it over their. So I will pay a little extra over a lifetime to ride on quality American tires, and keep an American employed, after all the Chinese do not pay into our social security system, we need people to pay into it. I spend more in soda pop and popcorn than what I could have saved by buying foreign tires over my lifetime.

But when it come to RVs, owners do not like buying tires and they do not like buying batteries. They go nuts over choosing wheel bearing grease though. And everyone has their favorites because that is what they bought, and they want you to buy it too. Some people like company that way.

But on the flip side, the Sailun is a 110 psi tire rated at or near the same as the G614. Getting away from the Blowmax E rated ST tire is really what the goal is.

A price is what is asked for a product, but a sale happens when the price of an item equals the buyers idea of value. So if you are trying to get away from Towmax, and not spend any money in the process then the Sailun will probably provide the value you seek.

Lynn1130

And everyone has their favorites because that is what they bought, and they want you to buy it too. Some people like company that way.

And that is pretty much why threads like this are interesting but questionable as to worth in finding what you are looking for. Doing a good job at research is your best process. Then ask the question and see if the majority line up with your research. Factor that in the list of pros and cons and then make a decision. I have bought a few lemons over the years but mostly that was because I fell in love with the item and went against my research decision.

paleclaire

Just pulled the trigger on 17.5 Goodyear tires n rims for my gateway 3500re. Looking forward to worry free towing. Now I just need to sell my old rims and Towmax with less than 1000 miles on them.

Hdputtin

Believe it when they say ASAP. To late for me. I have a 2014 Cyclone 3010 and this past weekend I had a Tow Max 235/80/16 separate on me. Replaced it with the spare and 45miles later one separated on opposite side trashing the side of my trailer. 3 hours on the side of the road and $260 later I limped home on the other 2. I really find it hard to believe that these RV manufactures are still putting these junk tires on there products with all the bad reviews and endangering there customers and anyone else around the crime scene. And by the way, I did not run over anything, tire properly inflated, 65 mph max and barely 2k miles on tires. Good luck with your tire search

Looking for suggestions for replacing the Tow Max tires on our Cyclone 4100 King. We've considered Goodyear Marathon and Maxxis. Tire size 235/80/R16. Which is the best for reliability and are there any other options?

Thanks!

Craig & Shanna
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King
2014 F350 Dually