Replacing towmax with....

Tundra2084

Well we are finally replacing our towmax which have not been a problem YET with either a maxxis or goodyear marathon but not sure yet which one. For those who have 16 inch rims with only 80 PSI which ones do you have on your rig? We don't want to replace the rims so will stay with a 80psi tire. Any suggestions or experience with either of these tires is welcome.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We liked our first set of 8008 Maxxis put on Aug 2011. We had a tire that showed the beginnings of tread separation (not necessarily a defect, not sure, for details PM me), and the others were showing enough (even) tread wear, our spare had a patch that was not long-term road worthy, so it was time.... In Aug 2013 we replaced them all again (5) with Maxxis. Mainly due to cost, and a known tire is better than an unknown tire. We put a lot of miles on them, I can't recall how many... but East Texas to Wyoming, to Tennessee, then Indiana, Another trip to Indiana, to Colorado 3-4 times, to New Mexico a few times, and numerous shorter trips within Texas.

Jim.Allison

Members have been getting the G614s in the $225 range, probably still expensive but is somewhat better tire as far as capability and durability. My purpose in telling you this is that the price of the G614 sees to have come down quite a bit, perhaps due to the price of oil. - just sayin

Engine5

at Tundra2084. Not sure which rims you have but if you pull one off you should find the PSI rating for that rim stamped on the inside (cant see it with the rim on the trailer), I have the 16 and the rim is rated for 110psi

Jim.Allison

Sorry, I did not see that you had only 80 psi rims. Perhaps you should research LT tires instead of ST. But in the end getting away from Towmax is the goal and almost anything you do is better than relying on Towmax.

mlburst1

We replaced our Blowmaxs with Maxxis M8008's four years ago - we've been to Alaska, Florida four times, New England and lots of other places - total of about 35,000 miles on our Maxxis's without any problems.

Additionally, there is still an amazing amount of tread still on the tires!

Be sure to have them balanced and keep them fully inflated.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
When we had a Bighorn we replaced our Towmax tires with Micheline XPS Ribs.

jeffdee

Well we are finally replacing our towmax which have not been a problem YET with either a maxxis or goodyear marathon but not sure yet which one. For those who have 16 inch rims with only 80 PSI which ones do you have on your rig? We don't want to replace the rims so will stay with a 80psi tire. Any suggestions or experience with either of these tires is welcome.

I replaced my blowmax tires with Hercules Power STR 235/85R16, Load Range F, 12 ply, 95 psi on the rims which are rated for 110 psi.

scottyb

When we had a Bighorn we replaced our Towmax tires with Micheline XPS Ribs.

Same here. I had 17K mi on the Michellins when we traded it, and they looked brand new. Rarely ever had to add air after weeks or months of being parked.

GOTTOYS

Marathons aren't any better, do a search on them. Maxxis or any LT tire in the 235/85/16 load range E would be good choices. I have Michelin Ribs on mine. Trouble free after many thousand miles....Don

campers2

I changed my Marathons out for G614s. The rims were good to 110psi. I had bad luck with 2 sets of Marathons. I run the G614s at 100psi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gaffer

Maxxis for sure over the Marathon. We ran them for years and they were as new when we sold our 3055 this summer. I would do it again. Double check your rims for the weight or psi rating if you think you want to step up to G rated tires.

whp4262

I've had good luck so far with Taskmaster Provider tires sold at Discount Tire. If I were to choose between the Maxxis and the Marathons I would choose Maxxis. Marathon is Goodyear but both are made in China but the Maxxis seems to have better reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tundra2084

Thank you all for the input and suggestions. We bit the bullet and purchased the Maxxix M8008 and having them shipped to the campground we are staying at in Florida. We did not want to upgrade our rims as well and would have had to if we had gone with the G614's as our Rims are rated for 80psi
Had to order the Maxxix online and they should be here later this week. Then the fun will be taking two tires off one side...replacing one with spare and using jack to keep other axle off the ground...having new tires put on rims and replacing them.

ILH

Thank you all for the input and suggestions. We bit the bullet and purchased the Maxxix M8008 and having them shipped to the campground we are staying at in Florida. We did not want to upgrade our rims as well and would have had to if we had gone with the G614's as our Rims are rated for 80psi
Had to order the Maxxix online and they should be here later this week. Then the fun will be taking two tires off one side...replacing one with spare and using jack to keep other axle off the ground...having new tires put on rims and replacing them.

They sound interesting - hope to see them this summer!

jeffdee

Then the fun will be taking two tires off one side...replacing one with spare and using jack to keep other axle off the ground...having new tires put on rims and replacing them.

I picked up this bottlejack/jackstand combo at Tractor Supply. I find it is easier and safer when jacking up under the axle. It doesn't take up much room in the basement.

54eb8584.jpg

Attachments

• spacer.gif
    spacer.gif
    43 bytes · Views: 179

caissiel

Wow it's a great unit.
Can it lift the axle if there is a tire flat. Be nice if it did. On second thought the extension can drop and it looks like a fit.
I have to use my 6 tn when I have a flat. So 3 ton should clear.

ncc1701e

Replaced our ToMax with Maxxis before pulling to SC in November. Tires are great, I think you made the right choice.