Report: 6 months of BIGHORN ownership

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWH

A Little Kindness and Patience PLEASE!!!

Why are some so angry with geeksrus? He posted a legitimate response to a thread about problems someone else is having with their BH. Perhaps his response made them feel like they are not alone. It seems like he has some reasonable complaints and it seems like he has tried all avenues to get resolution. I say it seems because I don't know all the facts. But he isn't attacking me or any of us for that matter. He's disappointed,frustrated and I believe feeling misunderstood.

Heartland is not our little child that we have rush to defend if someone dares to not like him. I believe this forum is great. I've been informed and helped many times and made to laugh not a few. But this forum isn't just a Heartland cheerleader. It"s a place to share our Heartland experiences, good and bad. If someone feels they need to caution others or just to vent, that's not so terrible. Maybe we would to, if we had walked a mile in their shoes. Besides Heartland can gain far more insight from the complaints than from compliments. I believe they do and their products and production are improving.

Now as to the idea, that the vendors and dealers are to blame for most problems and therefore Heartland is absolved of responsibility. This is a curious logic and sounds to me of more rushing in to defend "our little child." They are Heartland's chosen vendors
and dealers. Heartland makes a profit on every vendor supplied item (and rightly so). If one of the vendors goes out of business during the first year is Heartland no longer responsible? If the radio goes in your new car, do you call up Bose or do you call your auto dealer?

I'm not knocking Heartland. It"s their product and if there's a problem they need to step up. It's my personal experience that usually they do. We have owned 2 Heartland 5th wheels, a 2008 BH 3370 and now a 2010 Landmark Grand Canyon. We have had the GC since June. Only very minor issues and we love it. If others have not had the same experience, I feel bad for them. It is after all a large investment.
I wish geekrus nothing but the best and I hope some satisfactory resolutions to their problems.

Doug

We are picking up our brand new 2010 Big Horn 3600RL next week. Hoping to avoid what you encountered I have sent your posting to our sales person at Explore RV in Georgetown, TX. Thanks for sharing.

geeksrus

geeksrus,

I own a 07 3400 RL, with about 13K miles on it. I had some minor problems and I was able to fix everything on my own. The only major problem I had was my shore plug connector came loose causing some electrical problems. This is my 3rd 5th wheel and the 1st two also had problems. I plan on buying another 5th wheel someday and it will be another Heartland product !!
Steve

I am very happy for you that you are satified with your unit.

Eh!

geeksrus

Why are some so angry with geeksrus? He posted a legitimate response to a thread about problems someone else is having with their BH. Perhaps his response made them feel like they are not alone. It seems like he has some reasonable complaints and it seems like he has tried all avenues to get resolution. I say it seems because I don't know all the facts. But he isn't attacking me or any of us for that matter. He's disappointed,frustrated and I believe feeling misunderstood.

Heartland is not our little child that we have rush to defend if someone dares to not like him. I believe this forum is great. I've been informed and helped many times and made to laugh not a few. But this forum isn't just a Heartland cheerleader. It"s a place to share our Heartland experiences, good and bad. If someone feels they need to caution others or just to vent, that's not so terrible. Maybe we would to, if we had walked a mile in their shoes. Besides Heartland can gain far more insight from the complaints than from compliments. I believe they do and their products and production are improving.

Now as to the idea, that the vendors and dealers are to blame for most problems and therefore Heartland is absolved of responsibility. This is a curious logic and sounds to me of more rushing in to defend "our little child." They are Heartland's chosen vendors
and dealers. Heartland makes a profit on every vendor supplied item (and rightly so). If one of the vendors goes out of business during the first year is Heartland no longer responsible? If the radio goes in your new car, do you call up Bose or do you call your auto dealer?

I'm not knocking Heartland. It"s their product and if there's a problem they need to step up. It's my personal experience that usually they do. We have owned 2 Heartland 5th wheels, a 2008 BH 3370 and now a 2010 Landmark Grand Canyon. We have had the GC since June. Only very minor issues and we love it. If others have not had the same experience, I feel bad for them. It is after all a large investment.
I wish geekrus nothing but the best and I hope some satisfactory resolutions to their problems.

Doug

Thanks for your understanding & moral support......:)

Eh!

Rickhansen

DWH, I think you are spot on with all of your points in your post. I fully support geeksrus in their message and delivery, and sympathize with their troubles. I agree that Heartland is accountable for their vendors, and should be listening to their customers as a front line strategy in their design and QC processes. I think that is their intent and Jim Belletti is vested in it, I'm sure.

Every owner has had issues, if they tell you that they have had no issues with the design, manufacturing, or service, they are either lying or have very low standards.

We are very happy and pleased with our rig after 2 full years of full-time use. We have fixed what has broken (so far), and modified it somewhat to suit our needs and tastes.

I'd have to ask everyone, What RV would you possibly buy with comparable features, amenities, and price tag that would be any better than a Heartland?

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
If you want to call it ganging up then that's fine with me. By that logic I would have to say that "someone" is stalking the forum(s) for any negative comment made about a Heartland unit and having to drone on about their own misfortunes. I personally don't mind the here or there rants even from the same person but when a person seems to follow every little, tiny, winy possible negative comment made either here on this forum or on that "other" forum then it becomes very very tiring. It's like they "need to be heard".

While we're at it, since EH! wants to play, we never did hear what was done to try to make things right, what wasn't acceptable and the tone during the entire ordeal.

You are right DWH, we don't know the whole story and that includes Heartland's side. So the ganging up that you speak of so quickly, you may want to look for all the posts by geeksrus here and on that "other" forum to see just what I mean. He lurks in the shadows just waiting to get an opportunity to "tell his story". And as for coming to help the little child, I think it is more like fight fire with fire or the showdown at the OK corral, you fling that neg. comment and I'll shoot back with a positive. The cool thing here is that the good guys will win!

For those tiring of this tennis match I do apologize. Please stay tuned for an important message from the network. This is not a test. The problem is not in your set. And that's the way the cookie crumbles.

You know who.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired

Doug

Doug....maybe you should read ALL HIS posts....after awhile it gets really old. When one's life is bitter and one try's to make everyone elses bitter to match , there is a problem. This is suppose to be a forum where we help each other , when one seeks help but some help has no meaning. ....Kenny

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Everyone one of us at times has had issues with out Heartlands. Some of us much more than others. I just about guarantee that our's are probably some of the the worst any owner's have encountered, including GeeksRus.

However, the difference in the way we've handled those issues is why we've all pretty much had it with GeeksRus, and the way he handles his problems.

Yes...the forum is for voicing both the good and the bad about our units. As long as it's to constructively solve the problem or to obtain the answers needed, to solve a problem. What none of us needs it to repeatedly, and at every single opportunity, listen to someone simply complain that they are not happy with their unit! Both on this forum and any other forum where someone asks about Heartland products...what does that do to help his issue? Nothing! It's just complaining and bashing, pure and simple.

If he has unresolved issues with Heartland, he needs to take it up with Heartland in private...maybe they'd be more inclined to listen to him. As others have stated, if you want to know his real agenda, just look at his previous posts, here and on other forums... then you'll understand what we're getting at.

tmcran

I agree with Mark's post 100%. Your unit is a 2010 and in warranty, i see no reason Heartland won't take care of your items. Most of the time the dealer is the problem, maybe they can steer you towards a good dealer.
Bill

What do you mean the dealer is the problem???

Issues

As a potential Sundance to be customer I am concerned what I read here. As a long time RV er and owner of several different units I have experienced some of the same. Where I believe the disconnect is in the industry is at the dealer warranty level. Seems to me dealers only fix what the want, when they want and don't care about the customers. Some do a great job but as I read on many other forums some are terrible after the unit leaves the lot. I belive it is time for the mfg to stand up to the dealers and make sure they follow up and repair the units of these issues. We as a buyer pay for warranty when we purchase. It is always worked into the cost of any item. I think that when the profits start getting eaten up by warrantys the dealers start backing off. If the dealers are doing too much of it then it is time to deal with that at the qc level and if it is supplier related then the mfg should be dealing with it before hand.
There is way too much of this warranty stuff going on. Time to focus on the saying of quality and not quantity and start doing it right the first time. I work retail and know how the mfg that builds the most usually has the most returns and faults and the guy who builds them slower but right the first time seldom has warranty problems. If there is a problem the dealer is our contact and is obligated to step up to the plate as a liason between customer and mfg.

arisce

Thought I was on another site

Hi all,
One of the main reasons I bought my BH is this forum. Informative, friendly and very helpful. However when I read this thread I thought that I was on another site. That I had press the wrong button and somehow was at a forum that I quit some time ago because it got to be too "ugly". I do not want this to happen here. It is much too precious. Let's all take a deep breath and get back to what makes this forum great. It would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

2010augusta

Hi all,
One of the main reasons I bought my BH is this forum. Informative, friendly and very helpful. However when I read this thread I thought that I was on another site. That I had press the wrong button and somehow was at a forum that I quit some time ago because it got to be too "ugly". I do not want this to happen here. It is much too precious. Let's all take a deep breath and get back to what makes this forum great. It would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Thank you for a nice word of reason. I too feel this has become too much of a rant and flame among differing opinions that are not changing anytime soon. It is al most like "the Hatfields and McCoys":rolleyes:

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
You know, when you stop and think about how many units are being sold, the numbers of major problems are very low. Not taking anything away from those with issues with their trailer, and mine is starting to show some areas that need work, but between the dealers and Heartland, they are working very hard to keep us happy.

SilverRhino

Second This Idea

Hi all,
Thanks

I have to agree......there has been more than one forum that were ruined by "ugly" bickering and constant "mud slinging"....we all have problems....how we deal with them is where we differ.

Please keep this the constructive and informative forum that it set out to be!

jbeletti

Hi Ted and Lori,

Thank you for your 6-month report. I am closing this thread and invite you to update us in a new thread after you have had your warranty work performed.

To everyone else that weighed in on this thread - thank you as well.

Some think this forum is for cheerleaders only. Those who have been around here any length of time and spent a week reading the forum know better.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.