Residential Fridge and battery power

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
Keep in mind that battery life is greatly decreased if the battery charge goes below 50-80% charge. Starter batteries life is significantly decreased while deep cycle batteries can withstand many more discharge cycles. Starter batteries should be recharged at 80% and deep cycle should be recharged at 50% to assure the longest life. Deep discharge of either type is a no-no.
Nothing to dispute in your comments. I've never run our ships batteries down to the point where the fridge inverter kicks off so I don't know if there's enough left in the batteries to start the generator. I just carry the Jump Starter for that "Aww S***" situation. (I'm sure there's not enough in my Jump Starter to start the Cummins.)

CoveredWagon

You are correct in that some vehicles are wired differently. 12V is present at the plug at all times on our 2012 Ram.

We carry a JUMP STARTER in case it's needed to start the generator which could in turn help with starting the truck once the ships batteries have recovered.

Just checked my 2017 Chevy 2500hd. The 7 pin plug 12volt terminal is hot all the time. I do have two large batteries but I still wouldn’t leave the Rv connected if the engine weren’t running.

dave10a

Will the auto-level work without low battery notification after a days travel. It seems to me there will not be enough battery power to auto-level and run the slide out for trailer like mine after a days travel with a residential refrigerator running. Hooking up to shore power before auto-level may help because of the extra power the converter will supply. But what do you do if you are not able to hook up to shore power.

danemayer

Will the auto-level work without low battery notification after a days travel. It seems to me there will not be enough battery power to auto-level and run the slide out for trailer like mine after a days travel with a residential refrigerator running. Hooking up to shore power before auto-level may help because of the extra power the converter will supply. But what do you do if you are not able to hook up to shore power.
If your batteries are in good condition, and you start the day with a full charge, you should have enough left to run the leveling and slide outs. That's pretty routine. And you should have enough to run the refrigerator overnight without shore power.

And after towing the 2nd day, you should have enough power to run the leveling and slide outs. But eventually you need to either connect to shore power, run a generator, or charge via solar panels.