Residential Refrigerator Installation - My Experience

jbeletti

Gus - you'll likely want to at least add screeing to the inside of both of those vents. Thanks for sharing your project and ongoing results.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Gus - you'll likely want to at least add screeing to the inside of both of those vents. Thanks for sharing your project and ongoing results.

I'm thinking about sealing off the removable sections and putting screening on the remaining side sections.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boatto5er

Made a short trip to check out the fridge this past weekend. It worked GREAT! Kept the temps steady (even without inverter power) for the two hours we were on the road and no problems with doors coming open. Inverter is due in today. Can't wait to add it to the mix.

MagnoliaTom

Looks great! What will you be using for the inverter? Thinking of replacing our norcold 4 door fridge. We will probably get the same fridge as yours.

boatto5er

I've got a PowerBright 2300 watt Modified Sine Wave inverter coming (should have been here yesterday). It is a compromise of power, cost, and reliability. Most reviews are very positive.

MagnoliaTom

I've got a PowerBright 2300 watt Modified Sine Wave inverter coming (should have been here yesterday). It is a compromise of power, cost, and reliability. Most reviews are very positive.

I'll look into that. Thank you

boatto5er

The inverter and cables for the connection from the battery(s) to the inverter came in today. Unfortunately, my son is moving this weekend and needs my assistance (truck mostly) so I won't be able to do any work on the electrical system unless I get some free time Sunday. It may be Aug 29th before I can actually get the RV back to the house and install the inverter. Will post pics of that step as soon as I can get 'er done.

boatto5er

Here's a few pics of the inverter.

6d35e46349f695f69c742a122146f5d9.jpg
dd3c48d2dbc6db52f3a3e752d0b23827.jpg
9e4ea71401e6db319579bd0a2118265a.jpg

Greengas

Quick question. Is the Samsung 17.5 fridge you purchased the counter depth one? Do you have a specific model number by chance?

boatto5er

It is a counter depth. Don't have the model # handy right now (not at my PC, on iPhone). But if you search the Samsung (or Home Depot) website for counter depth models it should be easy to find. Starts with RF18...

rxbristol

Gus,

I know the depth of your old fridge was 28 inches
Mine (Norcold) is 24 inches
The Samsung is 30.5 inches
Are the wheels on the Samsung far enough back for my difference in depth? How deep is your counter (wall to counter edge)?

Has anyone else replaced the Norcold with a Samsung?

Thanks,

Rex

boatto5er

Rex The RV is at the storage yard so I can't re-measure, but I would say the key is how deep is the compartment your fridge is in. There may be a lot of "blank" space at the back of the compartment. You can tell by removing the lower outside vent. The wheels on my fridge fall in behind the wood front edge of my slide and the adjusting screws sit firmly on the wood piece. You could raise the floor of the compartment with plywood to get the compartment floor level and then "jerry-rig" something to hold the fridge in. If yours is not in a slide-out, it will be different. Hope you can work it out. The difference is like night and day.

boatto5er

Got a couple of free hours today so I did a little more work:

Cleared out space on the cargo bay floor for the inverter.
IMG_0953.JPG

Picked a spot to mount the inverter.
IMG_0954.JPG

Modified the battery cables with bigger lugs to fit my battery posts.
IMG_0955.JPG

Drilled holes from the bay thru to the battery box for the cables.
IMG_0959.JPG

Hooked the battery to the inverter.
IMG_0956.JPG

Tested inverted operation.
IMG_0958.JPG

Ran out of time to do anything else. :mad:

Will try to finish next Saturday.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Wonder if there's a small residential model that would fit where our DM2862 is? Might have to lose the big drawer under it, though. Never know when it might give up the ghost and need replacing (so far it's working OK, though).

boatto5er

Wonder if there's a small residential model that would fit where our DM2862 is? Might have to lose the big drawer under it, though. Never know when it might give up the ghost and need replacing (so far it's working OK, though).

Home Depot had a few single wide counter depth models. You would just have to check the available width primarily. We gave up the big drawer under the old Dometic, but the wife is estatic and you know the old saying, "Happy wife, happy life".

How is this conversion working for you now? I have a 2014 Landmark SA Edition and am seriously considering making the switch, more so now that I've read this thread and your experiences (and the suggestions/recommendations of others).

boatto5er

How is this conversion working for you now? I have a 2014 Landmark SA Edition and am seriously considering making the switch, more so now that I've read this thread and your experiences (and the suggestions/recommendations of others).

Fridge is working great. Inverter keeps it powered all day while on the road. I added a second battery this Spring for additional Ah power, but truck keeps batteries charged at nearly same pace as fridge uses it. I am going to pull it out of the enclosure and build up the base it sits on. It is putting a little too much weight on the wood toe-kick just below the front fridge feet, so I'm raising the base under the fridge. Wife is very happy with it.