Residential refrigerator

Possum51

Wow thanks for replying to my post? After we left Goshen we traveled 186 miles and we shut off the truck the batteries and fridge died in about 5 minutes if that long. Where did you get your rig fixed? Do you remember your service writers name? Maybe we can call them. I'm getting pretty desperate here!

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
It almost sounds like the truck is not supplying power to keep the batteries charged. Has your 7 pin connector been checked for output voltage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scottyb

It almost sounds like the truck is not supplying power to keep the batteries charged. Has your 7 pin connector been checked for output voltage?

I agree. The truck should keep the battery charged even with the fridge running.

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
Wow thanks for replying to my post? After we left Goshen we traveled 186 miles and we shut off the truck the batteries and fridge died in about 5 minutes if that long. Where did you get your rig fixed? Do you remember your service writers name? Maybe we can call them. I'm getting pretty desperate here!

Are your batteries charging off of shore power? There is a small breaker in the battery area next to the buss bar that has a very small rest button on it. We had the exact same issue two weeks ago for the batteries were not being charged by the shore power charger and the truck can only keep the inverter working if the batteries are dead. Truck will not produce enough electrical power to run inverter and charge batteries at the same time. Check to see if your batteries are charging off of shore power. If they are not check to see if you need to reset this small breaker off the buss bar. When we reset the breaker and gave the batteries 24 hours to charge everything was fine.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Pat,

Which repair facility did you take it to? There is obviously some problem with either your truck not charging your batteries or the fridge drawing too much power from the batteries. We, like others that posted here, initially had to get our inverter reprogrammed to keep it from shutting off, but that does not seem to be your problem as your batteries are dying. I am sure if you had tech's looking at it that they checked the obvious things like the circuit breakers and fuses which are directly responsible for the charging system? The bus bar has a breaker with a small reset button on it under the red rubber cover and if it trips, the small button just needs to be pushed to reset the breaker. Or its even possible that the breaker is bad altogether. But like I said, I am sure that the techs that looked at it checked the simple things like that. I wish I had more to suggest.

Rod

Thanks for replying Rod. We just left the Goshen rally and our next stop is your rally in
Washington. I just don't see how we can make that long trip with this thing shutting off all the time! We traveled 186 miles after we left yesterday now the batteries are dead again and the fridge is off. Don't know what to do since the techs just throw up their hands with it. I am going to call Tom Montaque at Heartland this morning and see if he will help me. Guess we will turn around and go back today if he will. I intend to show him all these replies from people who are traveling a lot more than 150 miles. I had one of the techs tell me I could buy one of those 12 volt ice chests and put my food in it when the fridge dies. I almost exploded when he said that! This coach is 6 months old and we paid $80,000 for it!!! And you want me to use an ice chest!! Its a wonder I could hold it together yesterday!

rdufek

It does sound like the batteries are not charging while traveling down the road. I have a BH 3750FL. We traveled from New York to Florida and back taking 2 days each way and stopping at a Walmart overnight to sleep at each way without every hooking up to shore power. Inverter and refrigerator ran the entire time without issue.

Bob and Valerie

Possum51

Yep! Took the truck to the dealer last Friday while we were in Goshen. Eby ford said the truck connections were fine.

danemayer

Pat,

A lot of these comments are touching on the general question of why the batteries are dead, which may or may not be related to the refrigerator. The service tech should be measuring the current drain with the refrigerator both ON and OFF to figure out how many amps are being pulled from the batteries.

If you can find the Kill-a-Watt device, try plugging the refrigerator transfer switch into it to find out how much power the refrigerator is pulling.

apc427

We love our residential in our 4200. Our previous Motorhome had a small fridge and I won't go back.