RESOLVED: Landmark - Missing parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

meagle

I took possession of a new 2014 Landmark Grand Canyon last Friday. During the walk through we found that the dealership had removed some of the parts/components from the unit for others. Missing is the wireless remote system and the touch screen remote, only the data port cable is protruding from the wall, the entertainment system(DVD player/surround sound system) was removed from the cabinet leaving the speaker wires, and the outside "shower system" has been removed. I want to make sure that the items are replaced with genuine OME parts. Would you be kind enough to sent information about the cannibalized items so I can compare what they are installing with what should be there. The service staff have been apologetic and helpful but I have not been too impressed with their customer service from others. It is a trust issue now and want to make sure the coach is in original working condition

olcoon

Re: ATF: Landmark - Missing parts

Possibly your best bet would be to call Heartland directly. They monitor this thread, but it's not a high priority. The phone number for customer service is: 574-262-8030, have your VIN handy, as they'll ask for it. It doesn't surprise me that a dealer would do something like that. Did you ask them about the missing items? I'm curious what kind of lame excuse they used. Welcome to the Heartland family, & forum.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC

Morris,
It was nice to meet you at The Mill when you picked up your Landmark. Glad you made it to the forum! I agree that a phone call directly to Heartland would be the fastest most direct route to your answers. HL does look at this thread. They would respond faster to a phone call.

Enjoy your new RV and have fun getting it organized.

Kristy

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

Had you walked through your new LM before you bought it? Were all the now missing parts in place? Sorry this happened to you but I would have been livid. In fact I would have probably walked away from the deal or at least not signed the papers until it was made whole again. Very good advise about calling HL service. In fact I would MAKE your dealer get all the parts from HL....no ifs....buts or excuses.

BTW, was this a unit you ordered?

sengli

Been to several dealers who routinely use on site stocked units for a parts bin.... they do this because its faster than them trying to order parts from the factory. I wouldnt have signed any papers after I saw this. The louder you are, the quicker this will get fixed. Definetily make the phone call.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired

Morris,

It was awesome meeting you at the Oregon Jamboree. Hopefully Guarantee will do right by you (I am sure they will) and get your coach back to new standards. Like the others said before me, call Heartland, have your VIN ready and they will give you the make and model of all the missing components or parts and then you will know exactly.

Hope to see you down the road and at Rallies in the future. Hopefully we can catch a couple rides along the coast together next year.

Rod Ditrich

meagle

Possibly your best bet would be to call Heartland directly. They monitor this thread, but it's not a high priority. The phone number for customer service is: 574-262-8030, have your VIN handy, as they'll ask for it. It doesn't surprise me that a dealer would do something like that. Did you ask them about the missing items? I'm curious what kind of lame excuse they used. Welcome to the Heartland family, & forum.

Thank you for the information. I will call them today. Although the dealer has reassured me that all of the parts have been ordered I am not confident that of their follow through. It has not been the best so far.

meagle

It was nice meeting you as well. I will work with the dealer closely to get this resolved. Supposedly the parts have been ordered, but I had to go over the order with them a couple of times. They do not seem to know their product. As an example they did not know that this unit comes with a wireless remote system and did not know where it hooks up or what it did. I had to pull the information for them. I have already scheduled a date for the new parts to be installed.

meagle

I did not order the unit but purchased onsite. Before the walk through I went over the Heartland website and the package sheet that came with the unit. During the walk through with the technician he seemed somewhat bewildered that I knew what was supposed to be on the coach more than he did. He went and got their service manager. After reviewing the list of options and what should be in place the parts were ordered. I know that I took a calculated risk by not refusing to take the unit until all was fixed. I have reviewed the parts to be ordered with their parts manager twice now. Again, another person who did not seem to know their products.

meagle

I am looking forward to seeing you and your husband at future rally's. You made us feel welcome and your insight was great.

wolfrat1

My Landmark Key Largo was missing parts before we bought it as well. The thermostat and kitchen vent fan controls were missing. Wires were loose behind the television and we had to unplug one set to make the television work. We bought this trailer in May and we are still waiting for the replacement thermostat control after the one that was put failed.. Dealership says it is a factory issue because they don't have the parts. This is the second Heartland we have had issues with and I am quite sure it will be the last. I find it very hard to accept that the factory would not have parts for their vehicles. This trailer was roughly a year old before we bought. Heartland, we are very disappointed with your units. Of course one doesn't find these things out until you are over a hundred miles away and no authorized dealers are close.

danemayer

My Landmark Key Largo was missing parts before we bought it as well. The thermostat and kitchen vent fan controls were missing. Wires were loose behind the television and we had to unplug one set to make the television work. We bought this trailer in May and we are still waiting for the replacement thermostat control after the one that was put failed.. Dealership says it is a factory issue because they don't have the parts. This is the second Heartland we have had issues with and I am quite sure it will be the last. I find it very hard to accept that the factory would not have parts for their vehicles. This trailer was roughly a year old before we bought. Heartland, we are very disappointed with your units. Of course one doesn't find these things out until you are over a hundred miles away and no authorized dealers are close.

Hi wolfrat1,

It's possible that over the course of the year on the dealer lot that the techs used the your rig as a parts bin and never got around to restoring it to its original condition.

Have you called Heartland to discuss? They can tell you when the parts you're waiting for were ordered and the outlook for their arrival. Call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. have your VIN # ready.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Bob&Patty

Do as Dan said. Call HL...have your VIN# handy. They can tell you if and when any parts were ordered and when they were shipped. While you have them on the phone...have them find you an independent service center close to you for needed repairs. You dont have to drive back to your dealer this way. I would bet that your dealer was using parts off your LM. Shame on them. BTW, the thermostats in RV's are the same ones used in sticks and bricks. Lowes and HD have lots of them.

olcoon

I agree with everyone else, I'm 99.9% certain that when Heartland shipped the rig it had everything it was supposed to. Once a rig leaves the factory Heartland doesn't have much control over the rig. Sounds like you've got a bad dealership. No matter who's fault that there are missing parts, the dealer should have caught this & replaced the missing items before it left his lot. Also I wouldn't believe him that he is waiting for the parts, I'd call Heartland to hear their story.

meagle

Thank you for your response. Supposedly the parts will be shipped to me after August 6th. Hopefully the issues will be resolved then. I am keeping my fingers crossed! I've called Heartland and arranged for a local Heartland dealer (they do not sale the Landmark) approximately 60 miles from my home to take care of future warranty issues. The local dealer agreed to handle the warranty work as well. Personally I think that it is poor customer service to remove parts from one unit to repair others, but not have a system in place to have cannibalized RV whole before it is sold. I do have to take some responsibility for taking passion on a promise that they would take care of everything. We'll see if they keep their promise.

wolfrat1

Thanks everybody. Just like meagle, I have to take some responsibly for taking possession of this trailer. I just assumed (yep, shame on me) that a higher end Landmark would be much better than this. Should have listened to that little nagging thought that said look at another trailer. This really is crappy customer service to strip out a trailer. Why not simply get new parts from the factory to fix the original trailer that was broken. Maybe I just don't understand the business world. This has really put me off buying a trailer from anyone for a while. Don't know who I'll go with next time. I will call with my VIN and see what's up with this rig.

Last edited:

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

Thanks everybody. Just meagle, I have to take some responsibly for taking possession of this trailer. I just assumed (yep, shame on me) that a higher end Landmark would be much better than this. Should have listened to that little nagging thought that said look at another trailer. This really is crappy customer service to strip out a trailer. Why not simply get new parts from the factory to fix the original trailer that was broken. Maybe I just don't understand the business world. This has really put me off buying a trailer from anyone for a while. Don't know who I'll go with next time. I will call with my VIN and see what's up with this rig.

I'm sorry you're having issues, it sounds like a poor service department! Reminds me of the first year with our North Trail. We took it in for a microwave not working. I waited a month, and called to find out they said the microwave manufacturer wanted them to send it in for testing before they would replace it. I said, ok, and waited another two weeks. Called back to find out they hadn't shipped it yet, because they didn't have anything to pack it in. WTF?! After another two weeks, they told me the manufacturer had authorized replacement, and they were waiting on the new unit. We finally went to pick up the unit so we could use it, while waiting for the parts. When we arrived, the service manager said our rep had quit, and they had no records of what was going on with our unit. Boy, did I go crazy! Finally, I told them to go pull a unit from another coach and put it in, so we could leave. I was done dealing with their nonsense. They did just that -- 30 min later, we were on our way with a new microwave.

Mind you, this was before I knew of the forum and that I could call HL direct.

So I can see how canibalization is caused by a confused and poorly run Service Dept.

Bob&Patty

Wolfrat1, its too bad you had a bad dealer. But I don't think it's HL's fault that your dealer stole parts off it. This stuff happens even at car/truck dealers....but not so much anymore. Reason, most of the parts like radios wont work in another vehicle. They are programmed to only work with the VIN# of the vehicle they are in. The reason for this is many, many things, so I wont go into it here. I personally would not take delivery of anything that had missing parts. If I want this certain vehicle. I would tell the dealer you have 1 week to fix it or I dont want it....period. Would you take a new car/truck off the dealers lot with parts missing? Probably not. Not trying to put anyone down, but "it is what it is". JMHO

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired

Have either of you gotten the missing parts replaced and had your dealers do right by you yet? If not, you really should be the proverbial "squeaky wheel" and stay on them about it to get that replaced. Unfortunately it is not a warranty claim or something that Heartland would probably help out with, since it was in no way Heartland's fault. Fingers crossed for you both. Give us updates.

Rod

Thanks everybody. Just like meagle, I have to take some responsibly for taking possession of this trailer. I just assumed (yep, shame on me) that a higher end Landmark would be much better than this. Should have listened to that little nagging thought that said look at another trailer. This really is crappy customer service to strip out a trailer. Why not simply get new parts from the factory to fix the original trailer that was broken. Maybe I just don't understand the business world. This has really put me off buying a trailer from anyone for a while. Don't know who I'll go with next time. I will call with my VIN and see what's up with this rig.

Thank you for your response. Supposedly the parts will be shipped to me after August 6th. Hopefully the issues will be resolved then. I am keeping my fingers crossed! I've called Heartland and arranged for a local Heartland dealer (they do not sale the Landmark) approximately 60 miles from my home to take care of future warranty issues. The local dealer agreed to handle the warranty work as well. Personally I think that it is poor customer service to remove parts from one unit to repair others, but not have a system in place to have cannibalized RV whole before it is sold. I do have to take some responsibility for taking passion on a promise that they would take care of everything. We'll see if they keep their promise.

johnpsz

I did not order the unit but purchased onsite. Before the walk through I went over the Heartland website and the package sheet that came with the unit. During the walk through with the technician he seemed somewhat bewildered that I knew what was supposed to be on the coach more than he did. He went and got their service manager. After reviewing the list of options and what should be in place the parts were ordered. I know that I took a calculated risk by not refusing to take the unit until all was fixed. I have reviewed the parts to be ordered with their parts manager twice now. Again, another person who did not seem to know their products.
According to what Rod posted above it looks like you went with Guaranty RV, that's where I got mine too, and similar things happened to me where items were there when I looked at the unit 4 days before buying it, but weren't there when I went for the walk through. Some things were scavenged from other coaches on the lot (like out outside shower) while other pieces had to be ordered (like the rear window screen). They were very helpful, but I did refuse the unit and they fixed what they could and delivered it to me, and said they other parts could take up to 4-6 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.