Retirement

snuffy

I retired on April 1, 2007 at 62. I use a count down clock on my office computer for he last 6 months.

Glad I retired when I did. My company was bought out and changed. My fellow employees are not happy and want to retire or quit.

Sounds like the outfit I work for. Bought out by a San Antonio based group of nerds and it's been all downhill for the last two years.

Delaine and Lindy

I retired in 1993 and stayed retired about 60 days. And went to work again, and had two other jobs and then started a Landscape business (made lots of $$$$) until Jan 1 2005 and retired for good. However I don't know how I ever had time to work. But having a budget is hard to get use to (Diesel :mad:). Life is Good. Wish I had retired full time before 2005? We live every day if its the first and last day of our life. GBY....

I retired in May '05 when we had to move to Dallas, Tx for my hubbie's job. He retired, unexpectedly due to disability Sept '07. We bought our Cyclone, put our house on the market, put our stuff in storage and sold most of what we own and started our fulltiming in Dec '07. We had big plans but couldn't do much until the disability kicked in and the house sold. Needless to say, the house is finally about to close next month and the deisel is starting to go back down so we're gearing up to start traveling. Oh, the VA and MetLife still hasn't been approved after a year of "pulling teeth" to get them to do their jobs. Once we get our extra car sold, then we can start doing some traveling. We're staying in Bandera, Tx and bored out of our minds. We've seen all there is to see and need something to keep us busy. Maybe I should do something out of the RV. Any suggestions? I have a bad back so cannot just go out and get a job for a few weeks. We do admit that it is great to not be on any schedule or worry about the time. So........retirement at 49 and 50 is good.

bsummit

Arkansas Chapter Leader-Retired
Well that day finally arrived. Retired 2 weeks ago. Having so much fun not having to get up, meet any deadlines, and putting up with a perfectionist for a boss.
Left home 5 days after retirement, don't want to go home but will have to after Nov. the 10th. I can get use to this really fast.

Bill

cjbearden

Visitor
Enjoy retirement, Bill, you deserve it! I found out pretty quick in 2005, when I retired that I wasn't as indispensible as I thought. :( Work buddies stayed in touch for a while via email but even that has gone by the wayside now. Honestly, I am so happy that my old job is now someone else's headache. Full-timing is the way to go (as long as no one messes with Arkansas' State Employees' retirement fund).

Travel safe and God Bless.

C.J.

seamo

Bob and Christina Seaman
Congrats on your retirement. We met in Fredricksburg, Texas--now you can come to our Rallies....Love Christina

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
I retired in May '05 when we had to move to Dallas, Tx for my hubbie's job. He retired, unexpectedly due to disability Sept '07. We bought our Cyclone, put our house on the market, put our stuff in storage and sold most of what we own and started our fulltiming in Dec '07. We had big plans but couldn't do much until the disability kicked in and the house sold. Needless to say, the house is finally about to close next month and the deisel is starting to go back down so we're gearing up to start traveling. Oh, the VA and MetLife still hasn't been approved after a year of "pulling teeth" to get them to do their jobs. Once we get our extra car sold, then we can start doing some traveling. We're staying in Bandera, Tx and bored out of our minds. We've seen all there is to see and need something to keep us busy. Maybe I should do something out of the RV. Any suggestions? I have a bad back so cannot just go out and get a job for a few weeks. We do admit that it is great to not be on any schedule or worry about the time. So........retirement at 49 and 50 is good.

The VA will come across later than sooner. Also, remember you can file for SSDI through SS. If you can't work because of illness and injury try for SS. I have a friend with MS and he filed and was turned down by SS 3 times. He got an attorney and all was approved quickly. He recommended that I not mess around with SS without and attorney. I got one and was approved by SS on the initial application. Over 50% of applicants are turned down on their first try, so you can see how hard it can be.

Email me if you have any questions.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Thanks C.J. The stress is gone and it sure feels good.

Man, you got no idea...it only gets better as long as you have the $$$ to support yourself. I got a heckuva a settlement from the VA...pooped 1/2 of it off replacing the things wifey took on her way out...and giving my kids the best Christmas either one ever had...and I didn't stress about spending the cash...and that was a first.

I got a 300%+ disability rating from the VA...payable at the 100% rate. And the disability from the SS. So, life is good.

Paid cash for my 3055. Now, I'm saving the $$ to buy a tow vehicle. I'm stuck here in Norfolk, until I get this blasted bionic leg working right and learn how to walk on it. Im giving full timer a whole new meaning.Then it's off to west texas 5 acres and a well...I'm gonna sit there and shoot coyotes all day.

Biggest worry I got is remembering what days the VA and SS pay...and remembering to renew my vehicle insurance.None

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
Well that day finally arrived. Retired 2 weeks ago. Having so much fun not having to get up, meet any deadlines, and putting up with a perfectionist for a boss.
Left home 5 days after retirement, don't want to go home but will have to after Nov. the 10th. I can get use to this really fast.

Bill

CONGRATS!!!!!!

Now ya have to change yer status from "senior member" to Senior Citizen"None:D:p

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
VA took 19 MONTHS to get me in for evaluation and finish my claim when I was mediacally retired :mad:

They'll get er dun eventually.

Thanks Lefty for the SSDI info. Actually, he did that and was approved on the intitial application like you so that helps. PM, he's been waiting on the VA for over 10 yrs on one big claim and a year now on the final. I guess we'll just hang in there a little longer. What can you do? I think we'll just have a bottle of champagne this evening to celebrate being broke. Ha Ha. The weather is really cooling off here in Bandera so that's when we start to really enjoy the outside. We're wimps with the hot Texas weather. We're headed to Del Rio, Tx for a month in November to do some dove and deer hunting and enjoy Thanksgiving with my family and then on to Rockport, Tx for December and January to some fishing so I guess we're reaping some of the benefits of retirement. Yall enjoy. Life is too short and you gotta live it or lose it.

fmurray3

I Retired on April 1, 2007 and have been enjoying it every since. No one to tell me what to do or when to do it Except DW of course. She is now doing her countdown and retiring from teaching - 106 days, 2 hrs, 27 min and 15 sec. we want to try fulltiming next year but will have to see what the economy brings.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
I retired unexpectedly four years ago due to a combo of several disabilities, and as an A personality didn't expect how wonderful it truly has become. I spent last week finally reapplying for more disability comp from the San Diego VA, and I was lucky to have my original DD214 which showed my 19 months in Vietnam. I am trying to increase my 10% to much higher and have the purple heart society repping me. I am so happy we chose an RV over remodeling our kitchen, cabinets, and carpeting. We have traveled over 8000 miles this year and 11 states and my DW and I have seen alot of this country, but most of all we have met a new set of Heartland friends and alot of depression has lifted. Who would think they have to retire at 52 with 3 stents, hand surgeries due to agent orange, and that darn PTSD. This RV traveling have really eased the melodrama and everyone has really been helpful. Enjoy your retirement, life can change on a dime.

mcmartin

retired u s army
I will be retired for good on November 8, 2008. I retired from the army in 1994 and decided to quite for good will be full time in about a month.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
72 more days until retirement.

Congratulations! There's nothing like it. I got to retire in early 2002 at the ripe old age of 53. Just don't let the one-eyed monster (TV set) capture you. Stay busy, stay active, stay healthy.

nscaler2

two weeks ago

Well, I did it two weeks ago. I am still trying to sleep later than 4:30AM. Old habits are hard to break. The only boss to answer to now is the DW. Wahoooooooo!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D