Retrofitting new latches

Pulltab

I think Moryde is the actual manufacturer of the door. Noticed on once of the units here at the rally, Kathy showed me where one of the doors was doing the same thing.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Well I guess I will keep my doors with the matching keys. If I change keys and someone really wants my lego blocks, polish, flag, jack, cranks, hoses, battery, generator, I guess they will get it and not tear up my trailer.

Yep it is suppose to keep the honest people honest but I guess we will let the Lord keep track of their discretions.
BC

Niles

I am convinced that locks, padlocks and the biggest dog in the world keep honest people honest and give crooks a little inconvenience. This does come from experience, front door unlocked, so they kicked in the back door.:(

hillsonwheels

Hey Niles........

Do you think an 800 lb. gorilla would've prevented the door kick in? :rolleyes::rolleyes: Sure was great running around with you and Deb. Be safe!

Dick & Reta

skyguy

I have the slam doors. Love them. However had problems with one when we picked it up from the dealer on day one. Have had the new door in a month or so, guess what, it is starting to do the same thing, coming apart. I think this time i will put 2 pop rivets thru the door on the top to fix the problem. anybody else having the same problem?

Which door? What is the problem?? I'll take a closer look at mine this PM.

Al S.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
It is the DS cargo door which lifts upwards on pistons...some earlier units has a door that swings outward, which is not affected.

The problem is the top door edge rubs against the frame of the door because the door itself is coming apart near the hinges. I have run into quite a few owners who have had the exact same problem, and have seen it on new units sitting in dealer lots....at least half dozen or more, so far!

Kind of glad our plans changed and we didn't have them installed...Mor Ryde needs to go back to the drawing board and get this right before I'll invest in having them installed...JMHO!:(

jbeletti

On Monday, Terry and Carol H and I went over to Mor/ryde to check them out - having never been there before. We also wanted to see if any Heartlanders were there.

We saw Tom W's coach getting a replacement RE system on it and Ray L's coach getting IS put on it.

We also asked to speak to whomever about the slam latch doors they are supplying to Heartland. The night prior, we have given a critical review of the doors on 2 of the show coaches at the rally.

We met with a couple of engineers and they took a genuine interest. The biggest thing we learned was that they have moved from a lamination process of building up the door layers to a welded process and with that, they feel the problems are behind them now.

I think what was happening is that outer skin of the door was delaminating from the other half of the inner door, near the center and it was bowing outward. That bowed location is what was rubbing on the top edge frame when the door was opened all the way up.

Jon H got slam latch doors installed as a retro-fit to his BH later on Monday. He seems pleased so far. He did say that Heartland's current wall design accommodates the slam latch doors whereas in a retro-fit, the doors have to be manufactured a little different to accommodate the older wall style. I think they had to remake his 3 times on-site that day but finally got it right. Don't think they made any money on Jon but I know they took a lot of measurements and pictures and they learned a lot for next time.

Jim

jbeletti

To the original poster, you can not just change those latches, you would have to upgrade to the complete door assembly. Not exactly sure but I have heard it is about a $1000 charge to update the doors to get the new motorhome type latches.

Hi Tab,

Actually, I have seen latches that are somewhat similar, retrofitted to standard baggage doors.

When RV America builds the Americana brand 5th wheels, using some other OEM supplied 5th wheel shell, they cut a chunk out of the OEM baggage door and install the latch style handle/lockset.

Looks odd on the inside but very nice on the outside. Not sure how stable they are but I suppose they are as strong as any standard baggage door lock. Nothing a small pry-bar won't open :eek:

If anyone is interested in the latch style latch/locks and want to know more about the cost of retrofitting that piece only, contact:

Ron Green
574-264-9621
rv_america_inc@yahoo.com
3933 Lexington Park Drive
Elkhart IN 46514

If I recall correctly, they cut out both turn latches and install 2 new latches per door and the cost was in the $100-$125 per door range.

Jim

On edit: I dug up a couple of pictures (attached). Sorry that i don't have a better shot of the door closed.

Attachments

• latch1.jpg
    latch1.jpg
    438.6 KB · Views: 49
  • latch2.jpg
    latch2.jpg
    517.7 KB · Views: 42