Rhino Liner, thoughts and input?

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
We had a rhino lined bed in our service truck at a John Deere dealer I use to work at. It seems to be pretty weak compared to most other brands. It chipped and ripped pretty badly in my opinion. Rhino seems to fad much quicker then the rest of the brands.

My last pickup had Extreme Liner. It was hard and did not offer a very good grip but better then a painted surface. Pickup before that had Superliner with PPG color matched paint in it. It was by far the best liner I had. Held up extremely well with very little fading. It never turned ashy colored.

Now what's in my current Ford. I have no clue but it is similar to the Extreme or Super liner. Haven't had it in there long enough to form an opinion.

But I will never use Rhino or any other similar style of bed liner. I believe them to be the worst on the market.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

TheLindsays

George is in love with Line-X.. we have it on the roof of our golf cart that is plastic because before it used to get scraped etc when we take it on and off... he also made us a new table for the dining area and had it covered with it too.. its now grandson proof ..its also in the bed of our F250... I think he would coat himself..lol... we saw a full sized Hummer that had the hood and other parts done in Line-X there.. was really nice... can be done in any color ... different textures... on anything... it can be a little pricey I guess but if you look at durability and you are keeping what you put it on then its worth it.

ParkIt

Line-X and Rhino are getting into the game so to speak, thanks for the links and input, I like the finished look of the roof from the Excel RV site is what I'm after. I figured there has to be a better cover on the roof than EPDM, they are too fragile IMO.
Monstaliner is my choice over Rhino though it does look like they are using a similar formula. The selling point for me is Monstaliner has to bend back on itself to chip or crack, it has that much elasticity but I've had a few years with it on our Jeeps and extreme Jeeping where they paint everything with ML, it gets put through some serious paces regarding flex and the only time I've seen it crack is when someone left their doors on...and rocked it. Hard.

Talked to their factory tech, he's had quite a few people call to order for the roof of their RV/TH units. What they've found as the best bond to the roof and side edging is to strip it down to the wood, put a good coat of varathane over it, scuff slightly with 600 grit and roll or spray it on. As long as the surface is scuffed it will adhere to it so I'm going to try the bedroom slideout first...smaller and cheaper to fix if it doesn't adhere very well. Since its as thick as EPDM there shouldn't be any problem clearing the seals. When talking about colors it was interesting - black would be a better color to use than white, it reflects more heat because of the polymers though a dark gray would look better to match the rest of the coach exterior colors.
Cost with Eternabond and bead caulk will run about 1K which isn't bad considering I can be as picky with it as I want, it won't look sloppy like the self leveling "goo" (dicor) and last years longer without having to check it every month or worry when a branch rakes the top.

We'll see, its an August project since that is the best weather to do it where I'll be staying at.

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
Had a bed done once, salt ocean area and it rusted from the bottom up. Next one we did we had it top and bottom.....works great!

Westwind

I watched 4 guys put a new TPO roof on a 34' 1999 Cardinal FW in a campground we were staying in. It cost the owner $3K to $4K and they really did a great job, what surprised me was how easy it was to peal the old roof off and the number of screws that had to be removed (Tons). He got a partial insurance payout since the original damage was due to a tree limb and he reported it immediately to his insurance company and took pictures. He didn't want a new trailer and now this is good for a long time.
My neighbor got a quote on a new roof that is installed by a guy south of Jacksonville, Florida that is very similiar to the new roof product that Rhino & Linex are now marketing and the cost of $6K! Almost double the rubber or TPO roof. Don't know if it is worth it.

ParkIt

6k is a lot of dough but you would balance that with how long you would keep your unit and if it gets in parks with low hanging trees.
Monstaliner is a DYI though you can have a shop do it and pay them the labor, prep work is something I'd do myself which lowers the cost by quite a bit. Just the labor is pricey to take off any roof and put a new one on no matter what material is used, my guess is the shops would say you can't do the prep with this 'new' material, if it isn't done right it isn't going to adhere to the surface.
Kind of 6 of one, half dozen of the other.

mobilcastle

Good luck with your project
Line-X and Rhino are getting into the game so to speak, thanks for the links and input, I like the finished look of the roof from the Excel RV site is what I'm after. I figured there has to be a better cover on the roof than EPDM, they are too fragile IMO.
Monstaliner is my choice over Rhino though it does look like they are using a similar formula. The selling point for me is Monstaliner has to bend back on itself to chip or crack, it has that much elasticity but I've had a few years with it on our Jeeps and extreme Jeeping where they paint everything with ML, it gets put through some serious paces regarding flex and the only time I've seen it crack is when someone left their doors on...and rocked it. Hard.

Talked to their factory tech, he's had quite a few people call to order for the roof of their RV/TH units. What they've found as the best bond to the roof and side edging is to strip it down to the wood, put a good coat of varathane over it, scuff slightly with 600 grit and roll or spray it on. As long as the surface is scuffed it will adhere to it so I'm going to try the bedroom slideout first...smaller and cheaper to fix if it doesn't adhere very well. Since its as thick as EPDM there shouldn't be any problem clearing the seals. When talking about colors it was interesting - black would be a better color to use than white, it reflects more heat because of the polymers though a dark gray would look better to match the rest of the coach exterior colors.
Cost with Eternabond and bead caulk will run about 1K which isn't bad considering I can be as picky with it as I want, it won't look sloppy like the self leveling "goo" (dicor) and last years longer without having to check it every month or worry when a branch rakes the top.

We'll see, its an August project since that is the best weather to do it where I'll be staying at.

ParkIt

Good luck with your project
I'll be taking pictures, it will be interesting to see how long it will take to do the bedroom slide roof. Will have to subtract some time as I'll be re-caulking the corners on a good DYI post below (forgot how to insert link on VB). Might as well do it all at once and hope we aren't still in the triple digits then.
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/39763-Preventitive-Maintenance-Caulking