Richmond, VA and north via I-95

phix

Does anyone have any suggestions for just a night or 2 off I-95 around Richmond, VA or north? We have a place to stay in the DC area and are looking for a quieter place before getting to such a congested area. We are traveling early December when so many places are closed. Thanks!!!!

szewczyk_john

Just north of Richmond(i think one exit north of where the 295 and 95 meet) there is a Bass Pro Shop that I have seen other spent a night at. I have never spent the night there but this place is like a museum and you can spent a few hours just looking around. Another 45 minutes north and there will be a Cracker Barrel that I have spent a night at and then enjoyed a hearty breakfast. THe Bass Pro would be the easier of the two to find.

Rrloren

There is a KOA , pretty nice but a little pricey on the East side of I-95 and another campground called Kosmo on the West side. I have stayed at both and for a 1 nite stay I prefer Kosno, off the highway and much more reasonably priced.
The Bass Pro has a decent restaurant called the Islamorada Fish House.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Bass Pro Shop and the two Campgrounds Rich mentioned (Kosmo and the Ashland KOA [used to be a Trav-L-Park]) are off Exit 89. KOA is closest to I-95, but restaurants, etc, are over on US 1, closer to Kosmo. Have never stayed at Kosmo, have stayed a couple of times at the KOA and liked it. There is also a very large RV dealer at that exit (McGeorges Rolling Hills RV - they are a Heartland dealer) if you need parts or anything.

TomSt

Past New Jersey Chapter Leader
I will second the Ashland KOA we have been going there for years. the redo by KOA has been wonderfull. Also fuel as you get on/off at the truck stop.

boatto5er

Interestingly, they are not listed on the KOA website right now. Their website is under the Americamps trade name, but the brochure on the site has the KOA logo on it. Not sure if they are still KOA, part KOA, or in transition again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

boatto5er

I confirmed that the Americamps just off I-95 (exit 89) is no longer affiliated with KOA. They are still (in my opinion) a great place to stop in overnight. We were actually going there this weekend, but a family emergency has curtailed our plans.