Rig movement while parked

happycampernc

Anyone have any suggestions on how to minimize the movement when someone walks across the floor or rolls over in a 5ver? If you are laying down you really can feel the rig moving back and forth as someone moves.

iawoody2

We added the JT Strongarm system, it's a totally different camper now. Just follow the instructions about preloading the bars.

MTPockets

May spring for JT's some day, but for now have had success placing a jack stand under frame just in front of the wheels. We also have rear stabilizers, but when jack stands are placed it's really solid.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
You got to remember that all campers are sitting on rubber tires which unless you block the camper up off the tires will have some movement. JT Strong Arms help with the side to side movement but wont take all of the movement out. We had installed the Strong Arms on 2 of our campers which help but ......

Tallyrver

I installed the JT'S strong arm system on our Gateway last week, took 90% or more of the movement out.

Wayne

Miltp920

Anyone use JTStrong arms with 6 point leveling system? We thought the 6 point would take care of camper movement, but it doesnt get rid of all of it.

StarryNight

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
we use tire-locking chocks (they go between the tires) as well as the "strong arm" stabilizers...but there will always be some movement :( cuz of the tires touching the ground.

Westwind

How about it moves because the chassis is on springs! Our Bighorn will move but we have wheel chocks and a tripod in front and it really isn't bad, I don't feel the need for any additional systems, but that's me.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I'm sure glad I kept my old jack stands from our old trailer!

Once I put those down (and the slide out jacks), or trailer is rock solid!

Those bolted-on scissor jacks are junk . . . what a waste!

You can see those jack stands in these two shots:

CamperJacks-IMG_0507.jpg CamperJacksGulch-IMG_1575.jpg

JanAndBill

When we set up, I put the fore/aft level just slightly high in the back. Then I run the rear stabilizers down tight. Go back and lift the front up to level. Chock the wheels and we are done. We've been in some pretty heavy wind and never had any noticible movement.

hriker

After leveling the trailer I install x-chokes between the tires. We have never had any movement in the trailer.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

dbbls59

When I park for the winter I put jacks just behind the wheels and snug up to the frame. This is the most stable I have ever gotten it. Hardly any noticeable movement. I suspect the 6 point leveling system would also make it very stable but I don't have it on my unit.

TXTiger

Be careful lifting the front up after lowering the rear stabilizers. If you lift too high in the front and the rear are already in place you can bend the rear jacks and do severe damage to them. I always level front to rear first and then lower my rear jacks. If I have to adjust the front I always retract the rear before doing so.

When we set up, I put the fore/aft level just slightly high in the back. Then I run the rear stabilizers down tight. Go back and lift the front up to level. Chock the wheels and we are done. We've been in some pretty heavy wind and never had any noticible movement.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
When we set up, I put the fore/aft level just slightly high in the back.

Thats what I've always done and still do.

I lower the front so the rear is a little high . . . place the jacks under the rear, then raise the front to level, then raise the front a couple of turns . . . put the jacks under it, then lower down on the front jacks.

This puts all of the weight on the jack stands and also raises the whole trailer up so that the trailer is not resting on the tires or suspension.

No bounce . . .

I then put the scissor jacks down . . . mostly for looks since that is really all they are good for.

May spring for JT's some day, but for now have had success placing a jack stand under frame just in front of the wheels. We also have rear stabilizers, but when jack stands are placed it's really solid.

I'll second the jacks near the wheels. It took out 90% of the movement even with someone sleeping on the sofa.

JanAndBill

Be careful lifting the front up after lowering the rear stabilizers. If you lift too high in the front and the rear are already in place you can bend the rear jacks and do severe damage to them. I always level front to rear first and then lower my rear jacks. If I have to adjust the front I always retract the rear before doing so.

I don't go crazy with overloading them, but the electric drive on the rear is no where near strong enough to load the stabilizers.

Lynn1130

What Twotoes said. I bent the supports on one side because I raised it too high in the front with the rear down. It does not take much.

BobX2

The way I feel is this. It's a camper, a temporary weekend home on wheels. There is going to be some movement in there. To me, so what? No big deal. Now if I was full timing it, I would probably have a little different view of things. :)