Right way to change tire?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
klindgren and Gzopete, read my post on the previous page, read creepers post and please read the Lippert manual. If you don't heed the printed instructions and have tire failure or wear from a bent axle or spring failure who's fault will it be? Crummy Chinese tires, poor axle or spring material or could it be the fault of the person that improperly changed a tire? I personally want to avoid problems, not try and create them. Just my thoughts.
Peace
Dave

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
If you have a Mor-ryde IS system the tire aid or the board method will not work. The independent suspension will keep the other tire on the ground while the one is elevated on the board or tire aid. It may be more trouble but the bottle jack is the recommended method. Incidently, for the short time you have the tire overloaded by elevating the one should not cause any problem. After all you should not be leaving it elevated for any great length of time.

nscaler2

Have you done it?

If you have a Mor-ryde IS system the tire aid or the board method will not work. The independent suspension will keep the other tire on the ground while the one is elevated on the board or tire aid. It may be more trouble but the bottle jack is the recommended method. Incidently, for the short time you have the tire overloaded by elevating the one should not cause any problem. After all you should not be leaving it elevated for any great length of time.
We too have the Mor-ryde IS system, but have not had to change a tire yet. Have you actually changed a tire. If so where did you lift from with the bottle jack? Did you use the trailer's frame or did you lift from nearer the wheel? TIA for the advise. ;);)

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
The problem with this, is that you severly overload the remaining tire. You can damage it and have a failure shortly afterwards. One tire is not designed to carry the whole weight of one side. The tires and axles are pretty much maxed out as they are, adding even more to one tire is a recipe for disaster.

I DON'T THINK CHANGING A FLAT ON ONE TIRE WILL DAMAGE THE STUDS ON THE OTHER TIRE. IF YOU DROVE IT DOWN THE ROAD A WHILE, MAYBE YES. THE TIRE CHANGING TOOL FROM CAMPING WORLD IS THE SAME AS USING THE 2 X 8 BOARDS SO I FIGURE THESE PEOPLE WOULD HAVE ALREADY BEEN SUED OUT OF BUSINESS IF IT DAMAGED ONLY ONE TIRE IN OUR SUE HAPPY WORLD. JUST MY 2 CENTS WORTH.

jmgratz

Yes, I have had to change a tire with the IS system. I lifted from the Trailer frame just like Mor-ryde recommends. I you lift it on the IS you could damage it. I did have to use a 4x4 block to be able to get it up high enough.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Holding cell phone in left hand, fingers extened and joined, dial 800 number for Good Sams Emergency Road Service.

Truck arrives, changes tire.

Works for me.

jmgratz

Lefty,
That is what I have done 3 times. But one time I was about to leave my driveway and decided to change it myself rather than wait on them. BTW every time Good Sam ERS has come out to change my flat they did not know where to put the jack and did not have a jack heavy enough to lift the trailer. They borrowed my bottle jack. I had to show them where to put the jack to prevent damage. Also when I had Discount tire change tires I had to show them where to put the jack. They are supposed to know. (But of high school kids working at Discount tire)

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Gall Darn Lefty. Why didn't I think of that. Just pick up the cell and call. Now I don't need the "tire aide" or a bottle jack or nuttin but my cell phone. Thanks Lefty...you da man:D

Bobby A

Good post/thread guys, I think this needs address from time to time for the new RVers and people new to these forums. There was one thing I read on another forum that I didn't see adressed hear, and it sure did make me think when I read it. Lifting from the frame is the way to go, however it is putting alot of stress and weight on the front legs/ landing gear, so to avoid a possible hazzard I have read where people have there tow vehicle hooked up while jacking from the frame to change a tire.
Bob

creeper

I Incidently, for the short time you have the tire overloaded by elevating the one should not cause any problem. After all you should not be leaving it elevated for any great length of time.

It takes a split second to damage a tire. Just when that split second will happen is anyones guess.

If you just had a flat the other tire is already stressed, now you're going to stress it again.

You can in no way say or guarantee that overloading the tire , while changing a flat will not damage it. Why take the chance.

I have used a small ramp with an indentation on the top for a tire to sit in. I just pull up the good tire onto it, and it lifts the bad one off the ground enough to replace the tire. I don't trust jacks. I have had to do this twice, and it works great.
Richard of Idaho

traveler44

I wonder how many of you have even jacked your 5th whl.s up. You can jack the frame or run your tire up on the ramp but if you don't jack the axle up a little too your tire ain't coming off the ground. Maybe lippert would like to see people putting that kind of strain in the middle of the frame, jacking the frame up in the middle about a foot. But I'm going to use better common sense than that. I'll take some of the weight off the axle and then jack the slack out. Tom M.

caissiel

I have done it both ways, frame and Axle. I have a feeling that jacking by the axle could be the dangerous way, because the jack could slip on the round axle.
When I had the tire off I placed extra support if the jack would slip of the round axle.

By the frame the truck has to be connected to the 5th wheel in order that the trailer be lift one side only. It does feel much safer to me having the jack on the frame. It does not have to be lifter very high to lift the wheels of the ground, but a small jack under the axle to be worked on can surely help things along.

I use a 6 ton jack and it takes the full lift available by the jack.

jcarnevale

Below is a link to another thread on this topic.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.ph...ig-Horn-3185RL?p=127000&viewfull=1#post127000

JC

irvin56

In all the trailer I have owned, I have alway jacked on frame. never had any problems. hooked up or in storage yard.
I block other side tires and used the stabilizers for extra stability, if windy, working underneath or traffic passing. I use a 8 ton bottle jack.
I am not about to lay down on ground to put a jack under axle and have someone drive over my legs. besides 14 tires and low frame on my North trail, a bottle jack will not fit under.