rim questions

marcusweeks

I have an 09 cyclone 3850, bought it last summer. It has tow max tires on it currently, probably replaced by the previous owners due to the depth of the tread. They are load range E. I'm going to replace these tires just to be on the safe side. will there be any issue with putting load range G tires on the factory rims? I read somewhere that rims with 8 lugs are only safe up to 100 psi, not sure how much truth is there though to that. just wondering if anyone has done it. Thanks

branson4020

Icantre Member
Every rim is stamped with a capacity rating for weight and maximum air pressure. Probably on the back side of your rims.

marcusweeks

3042 lbs. I'm not looking to increase that, I was just hoping to buy a better quality tire, built stronger. g rated tires go to 110 lbs

danemayer

3042 lbs. I'm not looking to increase that, I was just hoping to buy a better quality tire, built stronger. g rated tires go to 110 lbs
Goodyear G614 load range G tires, and comparable competitors, are stamped to set cold pressure at 110 psi. That supports 3750 lbs. Wheels that are rated for 3042 lbs have a max pressure around 80 psi.

Some day, someone will read the tire info, inflate the tire to a higher pressure than the wheel can take, and there could be a serious problem - like personal injury.

caissiel

Any LR E tires will be OK for that rim. And no more. But I think that 8 bolts trailer rims are usually good for 110#. If not that's where the danger lies.

marcusweeks

Thanks for the info, that's what I was looking for. So my next question are there any good e rated tires that won't cost me $2400?

marcusweeks

tires came in today. I ended up buying Michelin rib XPS. 245 75 16's. what a difference in quality over the towmax tires that are on it. American made, and weighing almost 20 pounds more a piece. They cost almost $1,900, but I'm thinking that's money well spent. Thanks for the info

Attachments

• 20150211_130704.jpg
    20150211_130704.jpg
    840.7 KB · Views: 31

Jim.Allison

Do not EVER inflate a tire on a rim to 110 psi unless the rim states that specification on it somewhere. The bead will not hold and will cause death. When inflating to 110 lbs we should have a long hose with a clip-on chuck so that you can stand back 10 feet or so while inflating it. Search exploding tire on "youTube" then you will get a healthy respect for the engineering involved with your tires.

TireHobby

tires came in today. I ended up buying Michelin rib XPS. 245 75 16's. what a difference in quality over the towmax tires that are on it. American made, and weighing almost 20 pounds more a piece. They cost almost $1,900, but I'm thinking that's money well spent. Thanks for the info
The minimum rim width for those tires is 6 and and 1/2". TireHobby