Ripped 7-wire pigtail out of RV

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Installation. Curt wiring harness. Just plug in. No splicing.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgBed connection

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
Re: NEVER Buying Another Heartland

John, all of mine tore out. It was not connected to the truck and no fuses were affected.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

John, if you ever intend to have a sprayed in bed liner...now would be the time. Drill the hole and then have it sprayed now. That way you do not have exposed bare metal after drilling the hole. Or you could get some nail polish from your DW and cover the bare metal with it. I'm not sure if I would shorten the cable too much. You still need the length to make hard right turns. All 3 of my trucks have had the in bed plug and never had it catch on the hitch.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I haven't done it yet but it is on my Mod list.
This is a 7-way cord from my big rigs. So it is a different type of plug, but your half way there. cut both ends off wire one end to your RV and put a RV 7-way mail end on the ether end and your set. Well I guess you still need to put the plug in your bed too.
electrical-cable.jpg

Bones

I haven't done it yet but it is on my Mod list.
This is a 7-way cord from my big rigs. So it is a different type of plug, but your half way there. cut both ends off wire one end to your RV and put a RV 7-way mail end on the ether end and your set. Well I guess you still need to put the plug in your bed too.
View attachment 39748

They make coiled 7 blade plugs too

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Just ordered one. Thanks Bones. I'll put it in my pile of parts to still put on someday soon

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

One thing about this type of cord though is if you don't have a good catch on the plug it will pull itself out and that won't be good. My truck tells me when the pug is disconnected so I would know if it happened, but I think I would still maybe put a piece of rap around Velcro strap on it just to be safe

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

whp4262

Admin note: Excerpted from reply to an unrelated thread.

The day we picked up our trailer, I said that I thought the pigtail wire was way too long and I was afraid that it would catch on something . . . and they said "Nah . . . better to have it too long than too short . . . shouldn't be a problem!"

Well, last night while backing the trailer into the yard, I heard a strange sound and saw sparks . . . turns out the pigtail got caught on the truck's trailer hitch receiver and when I straightened out the truck and trailer, it ripped the pigtail right out of the trailer!

Of course . . . no running lights . . . no brake lights or any trailer brakes!

Great end to a great week of camping, huh.

c827d55f486b6adb8bbdaf3262a7c68f.jpg
16032d3acc97e6bd0ae7e537aad0e439.jpg

I think your truck is the same year as mine and this is what I did. The hardest part is cutting the big hole, the rest is plug and play. Can't remember what I paid but the plug comes with the pig tail and plugs into the OEM harness no splicing required. If you got your truck with the trailer package there might also be a harness taped up near the front of the bed on the left hand side underneath, this harness is for installing a fifth wheel or gooseneck plug near the front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bones

c827d55f486b6adb8bbdaf3262a7c68f.jpg
16032d3acc97e6bd0ae7e537aad0e439.jpg

I think your truck is the same year as mine and this is what I did. The hardest part is cutting the big hole, the rest is plug and play. Can't remember what I paid but the plug comes with the pig tail and plugs into the OEM harness no splicing required. If you got your truck with the trailer package there might also be a harness taped up near the front of the bed on the left hand side underneath, this harness is for installing a fifth wheel or gooseneck plug near the front.

What is the silver plug at the top?

whp4262

What is the silver plug at the top?

Hi Bones, It's where my camera system plugs in. I installed a hard wired camera system on the 5,ver from rearviewsafety.com. I have one on the back above the ramp door and one on each side near the front. It's ok but I'm not all that impressed with the picture quality and especially at night but it's better than nothing.

Bob&Patty

My 4 way plug is for mid ship turn signals that I installed on the Horn. Had to run separate wires for those.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

Question . . . should I disconnect the battery before I splice the pigtail back together?

I was planning on doing it . . . but is it necessary?

whp4262

Question . . . should I disconnect the battery before I splice the pigtail back together?

I was planning on doing it . . . but is it necessary?

I would recommend disconnecting the coach battery. One of the wires in the pigtail is the wire that charges the battery in the coach when hooked to the truck.

Bob&Patty

John, by all means unhook the battery as you could do a lot of arc welding if you don't.