Ripped 7-wire pigtail out of RV

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Re: NEVER Buying Another Heartland

The cord is probably a standard length. Shortening it may cause you a problem when you move to the in-bed plug. And it may cause a problem for a future owner.

I plan on replacing it in the future . . . but right now it does have a lot of slack!

Here is a shot of how much extra is in the bed when hooked up:

ProwlerPigtail-P1000462.jpg

whp4262

I plan on replacing it in the future . . . but right now it does have a lot of slack!

Here is a shot of how much extra is in the bed when hooked up:

View attachment 39797
That looks like how much cable I have, once you install that plug in the bed you shouldn't have anymore problems. Also noticed how nice and shiny your bed is, mine doesn't look near that nice anymore.

JohnD

His cord was way too long to begin with. He said it got cought on the ball hitch (I think) so a foot shorter might be OK

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Yes . . . I didn't have a ball in the receiver, but it just got caught on the wrong side of the receiver and then when the truck and trailer straighted out . . . POOF!

Here are the shots of the wire again:

ProwlerPigtail-P1000462.jpg ProwlerPigtail-P1000474.jpg ProwlerPigtailDamage-P1000736.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

That looks like how much cable I have, once you install that plug in the bed you shouldn't have anymore problems. Also noticed how nice and shiny your bed is, mine doesn't look near that nice anymore.

Before we got the 5th-wheel, I had a topper on the back of the truck and a fitted rubber mat on the floor and (still) on the tailgate.

Now without the topper, the bed is starting to get scratched up.

When I take the hitch out for the winter I'm going to cut out the rubber mat so it fits over the mounting rails and eventually get it Rhinolined.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

John. I would not take too much out of the cord. I have never had an issue with 3 GM trucks with the in bed plug. If you make it too short you will be back where you started. Fix what you have and be done with it. Unplug the shore power and battery negative cable and go to work fixing the cable. Everybody is making a mountain out a mole hill. Just some sage advice from an old guy.

BTW, when all this happened...make sure the brake and charging fuses did not blow. They in the underhood fuse box.

Gary521

While your at it, I would replace the break away cable with a coiled version too. That long cable get snagged too.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Found mine at Tractor supply... Works great I'm in the prosses of making a swing out bar that is mounted to the tool box to attach it to up and out of the way of all my fire wood.
Right now I've been hooking it to the hitch which won't do any good if the whole hitch fell out.
7c45805b325dba1bf34024d34b6b75d2.jpg

Bones

JohnD,
Go for the rhino liner I love mine. You can even roll it yourself if you want to.

- - - Updated - - -

Found mine at Tractor supply... Works great I'm in the prosses of making a swing out bar that is mounted to the tool box to attach it to up and out of the way of all my fire wood.
Right now I've been hooking it to the hitch which won't do any good if the whole hitch fell out.
7c45805b325dba1bf34024d34b6b75d2.jpg

Nice pinbox. and I like the coiled break away. I was looking at those. I wouldn't worry about hooking the cable to the hitch because if you loose your hitch you've got bigger problems than any simple breakaway switch will solve

Last edited:

jnbhobe

I think everybody is taking this way too far all you have to do is re hook the cable it's definitely not too long everyones is the same I never have a problem unless I have too much junk in the bed

JohnD

How likely is a 5th-wheel hitch going to fall out, though?

I would think that there would be a very serious problem that we should notice when hitching up the trailer if the hitch was likely to come loose while on the road.

danemayer

I think if I printed this thread, it would be 5 times longer than the actual cable.

- - - Updated - - -

How likely is a 5th-wheel hitch going to fall out, though?

Operator error = trailer coming off the hitch. It happens.

JohnD

I think if I printed this thread, it would be 5 times longer than the actual cable?

I was talking about the brakaway cable being hooked to the trailer hitch . . .

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

That's for sure. Stuff happens....
And the longer thread the more we learn..
Sometimes... LOL

Bones

I think if I printed this thread, it would be 5 times longer than the actual cable.

- - - Updated - - -

Haaaa Funny about the thread. My comment was directed at the hitch coming out of the bed. If the hitch comes out of the bed of a truck there are more pressing matters happening at that moment. I have seen a trailer come uncoupled from a hitch though but the break away cable hooked to the hitch would still work.

Last edited:

Bones

Holly cow we have 75 post in this thread. make that 76 now

JohnD

77 I guess they want us to stop and move on to something else.

I'm out working on the project now . . .

Pulled the cover off of the junction box and removed the electrical tape and half of the wire nuts fell off and on the ground.

Also, when I removed the battery cover, the battery cables were not tightened down, but just spun on not even finger tight to hold them down on the battery posts.

More in a few minutes!