Ripped 7-wire pigtail out of RV

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Re: NEVER Buying Another Heartland

Guess I've got to print out the wiring diagram . . .

There are some other wires under there that have two colors and a couple that just have a crimp wire nut on them that were just hanging loose that I can't figure out where they are supposed to be hooked up.

Anyone have a link to that?

Bones

Guess I've got to print out the wiring diagram . . .

There are some other wires under there that have two colors and a couple that just have a crimp wire nut on them that were just hanging loose that I can't figure out where they are supposed to be hooked up.

Anyone have a link to that?
82. If I can find an older post I posted the wire colors which should help you

Bones

Good News I found it. Hope this helps. #83 now How long is it now?

Good news. It might be a little late and it was on my trailer but could carry over to yours. I finally found my paper with my notes.

(Pig Tail) - Trailer
(Solid White) - white
(Solid Black) - white with black stripe
(Solid Blue) - Solid blue
(Solid Green) - Green with white stripe
(Solid Red) - Solid red
(Solid Brown) - Red w Black Stripe
(Solid yellow) - Nothing Sometimes this is used as a back up circuit.

If this holds true for a couple of trailers maybe this can be saved for other people to use. I hooked mine up to a 7-pole junction box and got rid of the wire nuts.

JohnD

Good News I found it. Hope this helps. #83 now How long is it now?

Good news. It might be a little late and it was on my trailer but could carry over to yours. I finally found my paper with my notes.

(Pig Tail) - Trailer
(Solid White) - white
(Solid Black) - white with black stripe
(Solid Blue) - Solid blue
(Solid Green) - Green with white stripe
(Solid Red) - Solid red
(Solid Brown) - Red w Black Stripe
(Solid yellow) - Nothing Sometimes this is used as a back up circuit.

If this holds true for a couple of trailers maybe this can be saved for other people to use. I hooked mine up to a 7-pole junction box and got rid of the wire nuts.

Cool . . . and thanks!

Here are the rouge wires:

ProwlerPigtailJuctBox-P1000743.jpg ProwlerPigtailJuctBox-P1000744.jpg ProwlerPigtailJuctBox-P1000745.jpg

The yellow wire in the pigtail is the wire that seems to have a crimped wire nut on that doesn't look like anything else was connected to it.

Bones

Cool . . . and thanks!

Here are the rouge wires:

View attachment 39808 View attachment 39807 View attachment 39806

The yellow wire in the pigtail is the wire that seems to have a crimped wire nut on that doesn't look like anything else was connected to it.
OK your critical wires are going to be Blue- Brakes(14 Gauge min), White- Ground(10Ga min), Red-Positive(10Ga min) Double check the red to ensure it is positive. The other wires are going to be brake lights and turn signals and running lights.

- - - Updated - - -

You should have two black wires too going to your brake away switch. You do not need polarity on that. Take one wire to your constant positive feed from the Coach. Take the other black to your brakes which should be blue.

whp4262

John I'm guessing the yellow wire is for Back Up lights so it won't be connected to anything. You could verify this with a volt-ohm meter.

Bones

John I'm guessing the yellow wire is for Back Up lights so it won't be connected to anything. You could verify this with a volt-ohm meter.

yes yellow is not used on most of our coaches

- - - Updated - - -

To check your positive wire you will need to hook your battery back up on the RV and test the wires at the junction. Use a 12volt light hooked to ground and find the positive that way.

JohnD

It just started raining, so I'm on hold for a few minutes . . . other than I'm in the garage trimming the pigtail.

Looks like about a foot will have to be trimmed, although I don't think I should have an issue with it being too short as it just won't dangle on the floor of the bed anymore.

However, I should probably keep any eye on it possibly going over the side of the box (over the tail lights) in a tight turn.

Will be looking at the plug for inside the bed soon!

whp4262

Looked at my truck plug wiring.

Running lights - Green
Left Stop & Turn - Red
Common Ground - White
Yellow - Auxiliary
Electric Brake - Blue
Right Stop & Turn - Brown
Battery Charge - Black

The yellow wire should be the center pin in the plug.

JohnD

One more question . . .

Which wire on the pigtail do I connect the solid black wire that runs out to the break-away switch?

It has it's own wire nut on it . . .

It already has another black wire still hooked to the red and white wire in the trailer and the solid black wire from the pigtail . . .

whp4262

One more question . . .

Which wire on the pigtail do I connect the solid black wire that runs out to the break-away switch?

It has it's own wire nut on it . . .

One wire from the break-away switch should splice into the electric brake wire in the trailer. The other wire from the break-away switch will splice into the the charge wire going to the coach battery and the battery hot or charge from your truck.

It already has another black wire still hooked to the red and white wire in the trailer and the solid black wire from the pigtail . . .

One wire from the break-away switch will splice into the trailer brake wire and the other wire from the break-away switch will splice into the battery charge wire.

whp4262

0bfd57cdb1fe155700a356497e4fe512.jpg

This might help too. This is if you were looking at the pigtail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

OK . . . got it all wired back up!

Gotta go out and hook the battery back up and then plug it into the truck to see if it works!

ProwlerPigtailJuctBox-P1000746.jpg

JohnD

OK . . . got trailer brakes and left turn signal . . . nothing else works.

No running lights or left turn signal and truck is showing that the trailer is connected.

whp4262

OK . . . got trailer brakes and left turn signal . . . nothing else works.

No running lights or left turn signal and truck is showing that the trailer is connected.

Check the fuses in the fuse box under the hood on the drivers side. The trailer wiring has its own fuses.

jnbhobe

Take your test light and check the power at the plug on the truck, there may be fuses blown.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
OK . . . got it all wired back up!

Gotta go out and hook the battery back up and then plug it into the truck to see if it works!

View attachment 39809

John

Now that you have all the connections made, go get some automotive connectors to replace those household wire nuts.
I had a similar situation without any damage other than a crooked junction box. After we finished our trip last year I replaced the wire nuts with what I think are the proper connectors.
27d4b09323d38b5490eecd25b5f25a54.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

Found four blown fuses under the hood of the truck . . .

Replaced three of them and now have all lights working.

I have to run up to Advanced Auto in a few minutes and get the fourth fuse, which is the trailer battery fuse (charge line?) as it is a funky pink 30-amp square fuse that I don't have.

I'm going to get several of them so I have them handy if needed.

I will get the shrink wrap wire connectors as well if they have them, otherwise it will have to wait for another day!

JohnD

Had to go to two different auto parts stores to find the fuse . . . Advance Auto didn't have any . . . Auto Zone had a whole bunch of them!

$5 bucks a piece . . . I only bought one, but all seems to be working good!

Thanks to everyone for the help, and now we have a chronicle of how to fix the pigtail when needed!

I've got to go out and put the cover back on the junction box and all will be complete!