Ripped 7-wire pigtail out of RV

Bones

Had to go to two different auto parts stores to find the fuse . . . Advance Auto didn't have any . . . Auto Zone had a whole bunch of them!

$5 bucks a piece . . . I only bought one, but all seems to be working good!

Thanks to everyone for the help, and now we have a chronicle of how to fix the pigtail when needed!

I've got to go out and put the cover back on the junction box and all will be complete!
yes 101 post worth. LOL

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Just finished taping up and tucking the wires back into the junction box . . . straightened the junction box out as it got all bent up in the fiasco . . . screwed it back together and taped up the edges to keep the spiders out . . . and all is good!

The pigtail is about 10 inches shorter than it was before . . .

I backed the truck up under the king pin and plugged it in with the tailgate up and it looks like it should still be long enough to cover just about any angle I can throw at it.

I think I might investigate putting a spring on it to keep it from drooping too low to catch on the receiver (which it still could do according to my test today).

The other issue now that it is a little shorter is that if in a real tight turn, the pigtail could slide over the fender by the tail lights.

I'm thinking that if I get a couple of those cargo loops that go in those holes on the top of the rear fenders of the box that they might keep the pigtail from sliding over the side.

I won't be hauling the trailer for a couple of weeks (to the Colorado HOC Rally in Central City), so I'll let you all know if I have any issues!

Again . . . THANKS for all of the help!

- - - Updated - - -

John- you are an.......adventure. All by yourself!

Well . . . it is a rough job . . . but somebody has to do it! :eek:

jimtoo

If you put those cargo hooks on top of the bed in the holes it will cut your safe clearance down between trailer and bed when or if you are in a dip or turn with climb out to get level.

I have always believed and told my customers, If hitch is in the bed ,,, the plug goes in the bed... if it hitch is in bumper,,, plug it in the bumper. Just my thoughts. :)

Jim M

JohnD

If you put those cargo hooks on top of the bed in the holes it will cut your safe clearance down between trailer and bed when or if you are in a dip or turn with climb out to get level.

I have always believed and told my customers, If hitch is in the bed ,,, the plug goes in the bed... if it hitch is in bumper,,, plug it in the bumper. Just my thoughts. :)

Jim M

I know . . . the clearance was an issue I was looking at with those cargo hooks . . .

I still think that I will just unhook the pigtail when I am backing the trailer into my yard as this is about the only time I find myself with a deep turning angle.

Of course, the plug in the bed is coming soon, which should fix this problem once and for all.

JohnD

I know . . . the clearance was an issue I was looking at with those cargo hooks . . .

I still think that I will just unhook the pigtail when I am backing the trailer into my yard as this is about the only time I find myself with a deep turning angle.

Of course, the plug in the bed is coming soon, which should fix this problem once and for all.

I saw a set of cargo hooks at Advanced Auto today that have eye bolts in the top, but fit flush when not in use.

What I was thinking with those was to run a bungee cord between the two sides and put the pigtail under the bungee cord, which would only raise the eyebolt about a 1/2 inch over the top of the bed side fenders.

And the bungee cord would keep the pigtail from going past the cargo hooks at best.

I may pick up a pair of those tomorrow just to see how they work!

I could use them anywayz for non-hauling-the-RV applications!

- - - Updated - - -

See . . . this thread ain't dead, yet!

Oh yeah . . . GO BRONCOS!

Kbvols

Re: NEVER Buying Another Heartland

This is the Seinfeld thread.....much ado about nothing....lol...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JohnD

I don't know . . .

Seems that I am not the only one that has yanked their pigtail out of the trailer!

At least I'm willing to admit it publically . . .

Attachments

• ProwlerPigtailDamage-P1000734.jpg
    ProwlerPigtailDamage-P1000734.jpg
    670.5 KB · Views: 28
  • ProwlerPigtailDamage-P1000736.jpg
    ProwlerPigtailDamage-P1000736.jpg
    745.8 KB · Views: 30
  • ProwlerPigtailJuctBox-P1000744.jpg
    ProwlerPigtailJuctBox-P1000744.jpg
    698.1 KB · Views: 30

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

This is the truck cord I plan on modifying to make it a RV cord.
15823201668e887826db4d2cd948f9d2.jpg

d8f4fe739f5b55396441b8d71ffeeb8c.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

JohnD

That green cord looks pretty awesome . . . let us know how it works out!

I might just want to use that in the future.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Will do
It has a 15 foot stretch so I'm thinking it will stay tight but not be pulling on the plug in the bed to much and hopefully not pull out. I'll let you know when I get to it.

Bones

Seinfeld was awesome :)

- - - Updated - - -

This is the truck cord I plan on modifying to make it a RV cord.
15823201668e887826db4d2cd948f9d2.jpg

d8f4fe739f5b55396441b8d71ffeeb8c.jpg

Looks good. Keep us posted

- - - Updated - - -

JohnD We should take the color ID's from my notes and yours and put them together for others to use in case some one else rips out their wiring.

Kbvols

I don't know . . .

Seems that I am not the only one that has yanked their pigtail out of the trailer!

At least I'm willing to admit it publically . . .

John...I was just teasing. I know it's a relevant topic. The thread it's self has just seemed to take on a "life" of its own for some reason for a straight forward type issue. Actually there is some very good info in the thread.

Thanks for posting. I have a similar truck and plug my cord into the bumper plug and never ever thought about it catching and ripping out. Now I will pay attention.

Kenneths

John, I had the cord on my last RV catch on the hitch of my 08 Chevy DRW, actually the same color as yours, but It did not pull the cord out. I was lucky. After that I would just put 1 twist in the cord before I plugged it in to form a sort of loop and that kept it far from the hitch. Be careful to twist it so it wants to position the wire away from your tailgate and not onto your tailgate because as it moves when you are driving it will rub on your tailgate and leave a mark. Ask how I figured that out, LOL.

MTPockets

John, I had the cord on my last RV catch on the hitch of my 08 Chevy DRW, actually the same color as yours, but It did not pull the cord out. I was lucky. After that I would just put 1 twist in the cord before I plugged it in to form a sort of loop and that kept it far from the hitch. Be careful to twist it so it wants to position the wire away from your tailgate and not onto your tailgate because as it moves when you are driving it will rub on your tailgate and leave a mark. Ask how I figured that out, LOL.
John, this issue just may be happening on red trucks.. Looks like a pattern.

JohnD

John, this issue just may be happening on red trucks.. Looks like a pattern.

Terry . . . I think you might just be on to something! :cool:

Might just have to get my truck painted to match the Prowler . . . :eek:

whp4262

You need to do something else now John so we can start a new thread on how to fix it.