Ripped 7-wire pigtail out of RV

whp4262

Re: NEVER Buying Another Heartland

I do have a couple of welding projects I need to get done . . .

- - - Updated - - -

How do you do that?

Is there a switch on it?

You should be able to unplug the converter, there is no switch that I'm aware of. But if your not plugged into shore power and the coach battery is disconnected it shouldn't matter. Make sure you take the cable off the battery though because the charge wire from the pigtail should be on the battery side of the big battery disconnect switch if you have one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gary521

If you have the trailer package on your chevy, there will be a wire pigtail available to hook to. Check your owner's manual. The wire pigtail is attached to the driver side frame under the bed. This way you don't have to fool with the rear wiring and makes for a clean install of the in-bed plug. Sometimes reading the owners manual does help.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

Some have the connector at the bumper plug...some are farther back in OEM harness.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

If you have the trailer package on your chevy, there will be a wire pigtail available to hook to. Check your owner's manual. The wire pigtail is attached to the driver side frame under the bed. This way you don't have to fool with the rear wiring and makes for a clean install of the in-bed plug. Sometimes reading the owners manual does help.

I do have the trailer package . . .

whp4262

My truck had this pigtail near the left front of the bed but I opted not to use it because I installed a transfer tank and didn't want one to interfere with the other. So I mounted the bed plug on the left rear corner of the bed.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

On the GMs you'll need to hook up the battery charge wire and install the fuse both located at the fuse box under the hood.
The may have changed that on the new pickups, but I've had to do it on my last 3 on 2003, 2006, 2008,

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

After drilling the hole in the side of the bed, all that was needed was to disconnect the bumper connector, connect the pigtail, and plug it into the back of the bed receptacle. Then secure it to the bed wall. 2009 GMC w/trailer package.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Check the charge wire for 12V I don't think you'll have it until you hook up that wire at the fuse panel

Last edited:

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Hey guys
I ordered that coiled 7 wire bar RV pig tail, from RVupgrades.com. I think it's way to short and stout, and it will pull out or brake the cover off of the female plug every time you make a right turn. I think I'll go back to plan A and make my own from the bigger one. It would probably work nice on a TT if the junction box is close the the hitch.
b24b1112a2ef73a27a442fdee84baa62.jpg
c1f6a1204ac72a113b38a042f4b93cfc.jpg
289713335422b7db4b3544df4901e8b9.jpg

Bones

Did you try pulling on it to see if you can loosen it up?

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Ya its pretty stout. I'm sure I could stretch it a bit, but I don't think it would be enough.
That's not a good feeling when your plug pulls out and you know that you have no brakes, no brake lights, and no blinkers back there.
Like I said my truck tells me when the plug has been disconnected, so I'll know (If I her her) LOL.
But it's all bad !!!!!

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

Thanks for the info on that coiled cord!

I'm going out this morning to rewire my plug.

I'm going to cut about a foot off of it and reconnect it to the junction box.

I will be adding the plug in the bed in the very near future.

I guess the real solution for me is to unplug the pigtail from the truck from now on when backing up and making a tight turn (common sense tells me I should have done that in the first place :p ).

Don't need the trailer brakes and lights for that operation as I had already turned the brakes off at the dashboard before I started backing in.

As for the wiring job, disconnecting the battery, unplugging the electric from the house, and switching off the main breaker inside the trailer . . . should that be enough?

And . . . wire nuts or shrink wrap for splicing the wires?

I have a webinar I have to take for work in about 45 minutes (8 am mountain time), so will be going out there when that is done!

- - - Updated - - -

Like I said my truck tells me when the plug has been disconnected, so I'll know (If I her her) LOL.
But it's all bad !!!!!

Mine does, to . . .

When that wire pulled out of the junction box . . . my dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree!

whp4262

Disconnecting the battery and unplugging from the house should be enough. Wire nuts will work wrapped with a little electrical tape or crimp type butt connectors.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I like the butt connectors with the heat shrink on the ends, they work good look good, and keep the weather out.
I don't think I would get in the habit of unplugged to back in that's not really safe. That's a lot of weight back there, that can pull you in ways you don't want to go. LOL
You can always attach a spring from the Trailer to the cord to keep the slack from hanging down and it will stretch when you turn.
cabcf08738dfdc1b3e5ef480516c4992.jpg

dc13e305ce107757fab5079b2597a847.jpg

Just crimp them on and heat with heat gun or a lighter

danemayer

Thanks for the info on that coiled cord!

I'm going out this morning to rewire my plug.

I'm going to cut about a foot off of it and reconnect it to the junction box.

I will be adding the plug in the bed in the very near future.

The cord is probably a standard length. Shortening it may cause you a problem when you move to the in-bed plug. And it may cause a problem for a future owner.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

His cord was way too long to begin with. He said it got cought on the ball hitch (I think) so a foot shorter might be OK

Bones

Did we have threads get merged or something? I just noticed to different titles.

- - - Updated - - -

I like the butt connectors with the heat shrink on the ends, they work good look good, and keep the weather out.
I don't think I would get in the habit of unplugged to back in that's not really safe. That's a lot of weight back there, that can pull you in ways you don't want to go. LOL
You can always attach a spring from the Trailer to the cord to keep the slack from hanging down and it will stretch when you turn.
cabcf08738dfdc1b3e5ef480516c4992.jpg

dc13e305ce107757fab5079b2597a847.jpg

Just crimp them on and heat with heat gun or a lighter

looks good