Roof cleaning, protecting and maintenance

We have a 2014 NT 28BRS TT.
I have not cleaned or inspected the roof yet, but just purchased a telescoping ladder to carry with us.
On a recent trip, a fellow TT with a similar unit discussed his maintenance routine (lube slide gaskets, clean and protect roof with 303)???

Can I walk on top of this roof? 190#
I want to start cleaning, UV protect and check all caulk more regular.

Also, someone told me to inspect and clean the AC coil??? Familiar with equipment coils, but what would you use to clean this one and not damage the roof materials?

Thank in Advance,
Jim

Domi

Jim,

We have a 2011 NT 28RLS. I called HL Customer Service and they confirmed that you can walk on the roof (at least mine). Don't plan on jumping or partying but walking and inspection is okay. I was on my last week. Not something I want to do often but doable.

If you have a telescoping ladder you might want to put something on the rubber (old socks work well) before you put it against the trailer. I have little black smudges that I need to get up and clean at some point due to the ladder leaning against it while I caulked the back end.

Good luck and enjoy your trailer.

John

rhodies1

We have a 2014 NT 28BRS TT.
I have not cleaned or inspected the roof yet, but just purchased a telescoping ladder to carry with us.
On a recent trip, a fellow TT with a similar unit discussed his maintenance routine (lube slide gaskets, clean and protect roof with 303)???

Can I walk on top of this roof? 190#
I want to start cleaning, UV protect and check all caulk more regular.

Also, someone told me to inspect and clean the AC coil??? Familiar with equipment coils, but what would you use to clean this one and not damage the roof materials?

Thank in Advance,
Jim

always remember to take your boots/sneakers off before climbing onto the roof.The rubber membrane is very thin and will tear easily,Also do not use an abrasive brush or harsh chemicals on the membrane.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
always remember to take your boots/sneakers off before climbing onto the roof.The rubber membrane is very thin and will tear easily,Also do not use an abrasive brush or harsh chemicals on the membrane.

??? We've never taken shoes off to get on the roof. I've cleared 13" of snow off of it in snow boots!

Hubby will clean it with a automotive long handled cleaning brush, and wear his Crocs to have some traction on the wet roof.

Not had any problems. I guess we are careful enough.

danemayer

The Dicor roof is pretty strong stuff. I've also walked on it many times in hiking shoes and in boots. I've used a push brook with relatively soft bristles to clean snow off for 6 winters running in Breckenridge, CO.

Now if you want to talk about fragile, vent covers and A/C shrouds are nowhere near as tough as that rubber roof.

Birchwood

I DISAGREE never go on a roof without non slip soles and certainly not barefoot or socks only.The rubber roof is not thin and it doesn't tear easily but you are correct in saying no harsh chemicals or abrasive brushes.

Rollin_Free

OK so maybe someone can answer if it is safe to get up on the roof with below freezing temps without fear of cracking the rubber roof. I've always used a ladder to the side and soft bristle push broom to remove snow. I did see the response regarding getting on the roof with snow boots so maybe this has already been answered but I just want to make sure. When I do go up there I do wear soft sole tennis shoes to prevent slipping and not damage the roof material.

NHCelt

Been shoveling these roofs for years in northern NH. Every couple weeks we have to do it and never an issue. Use a plastic shovel and be sensible. Plastic stuff up there is a bit more fragile. ELDM or TPO is tough stuff.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Rollin_Free

Yes saw those but wasn't sure if sub freezing temps were a problem for the roof material. Thanks for the information.

danemayer

OK so maybe someone can answer if it is safe to get up on the roof with below freezing temps without fear of cracking the rubber roof. I've always used a ladder to the side and soft bristle push broom to remove snow. I did see the response regarding getting on the roof with snow boots so maybe this has already been answered but I just want to make sure. When I do go up there I do wear soft sole tennis shoes to prevent slipping and not damage the roof material.
I've been on the roof in weather way, way below freezing. The rubber roof is not fragile. I'm sure I've been on the roof in temps around 0 (F), possibly lower.

You do have to be extremely careful standing up on the roof when it's wet or snow-covered. It can get very slippery. Shoes/boots that provide excellent traction are really important. And even with good shoes, often I'll have to crawl around on hands and knees to stay safe.

The danger is to you, not to the roof.

Rollin_Free

The OP asked about UV protection and cleaning the rubber with 303. What is that and how much cleaning is actually needed to maintain the roof?

jbeletti

The OP asked about UV protection and cleaning the rubber with 303. What is that and how much cleaning is actually needed to maintain the roof?

Here's a link to the product. An annual cleaning is a good idea. Most use liquid Dawn to scrub the roof with. Some clean more often due to their environmentals.

RVFun4Us

I noticed in my owner's manual that Heartland recommends a liquid detergent such as the "Dawn" that Jim Beletti just referred. On my previous RV (3055 Bighorn), I used Protect-All Rubber Roof Cleaner and Rubber Roof Treatment. A lot of work to put it on so I think I will try the liquid detergent to clean my new rig. If Heartland recommends liquid detergent, then that should be sufficient. And I do clean the roof about 3-4 times a year.

Bogie

I bought my Sundance used and cleaned and protected the roof with this the first time. It's a two step cleaner and protectant. The second step has a UV inhibitor. It worked quite well. Just need to be careful because the second step makes the roof a bit slippery. Since then, I just wash the roof with Dawn and a soft brush. No problems so far.

Rollin_Free

I have a full sized conversion van with extended top so I bought one of those extend soft brushes that you attach to a hose and put soap in it to wash/rinse a vehicle. Ironically I have been using Dawn for that purpose as well. It also works great to wash the sidewalls of the rig so going up on top just makes sense. I can't believe I never thought about using Dawn on the roof of the RV. Thanks

Just received new telescoping ladder and checked on roof. Pretty well built and in great shape considering its in full sun since the day she left the factory 3 years ago this month. Mild soap to clean...got it. Checked all caulk and in good shape.
No need to use a UV protector for a rubber roof??? Just keep in clean???

Many thanks for the input.