Roof issue and no help from factory

wdk450

I'm having the same issue with the roof on a 2015 Heartland Big Country 3950FB. The factory is trying to tell me that the damage was caused by an impact. The camper has never been hit and the dealer is even getting mad at Heatland, because they can tell it's a manufacturing problem and not physical damage. I'd post some photos, but I'm new member so I don't have that option yet.

I would think that a good RV claims adjuster from your insurance company could give you a pretty educated opinion on if this is a manufacturing defect or not. An independent RV servicer of 20 or more years experience might have an opinion that would be respected.

Jarod

Heartland originally said this was caused by physical damage. Now they are saying that it was water damage even though the dealer can't find where the water came from and they are saying that all of the seals are fine. The dealer is saying that the dark spots are the glue and not water damage. Has anyone else had this issue and if so, were you able to get it covered under warranty? This is on a 2015 Heartland Big County 3950FB. The dealership and myself feels like this should be covered under warranty. Heartland is not wanting to pay for it, even after telling the dealership to cut the roof open because they are blaming it on water damage. This happened about 9 months after purchasing it so the unit is still under warranty. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
. IMG_0891.jpg758e3147-ab9e-43d6-84dc-66f82158660f.jpg62b9ba3f-1f43-4561-8b3a-e489358c94df.jpgIMG_1308.JPG

danemayer

Heartland originally said this was caused by physical damage. Now they are saying that it was water damage even though the dealer can't find where the water came from and they are saying that all of the seals are fine. The dealer is saying that the dark spots are the glue and not water damage. Has anyone else had this issue and if so, were you able to get it covered under warranty? This is on a 2015 Heartland Big County 3950FB. The dealership and myself feels like this should be covered under warranty. Heartland is not wanting to pay for it, even after telling the dealership to cut the roof open because they are blaming it on water damage. This happened about 9 months after purchasing it so the unit is still under warranty. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
. View attachment 44962View attachment 44963View attachment 44964View attachment 44965

I can't say I'm an expert on the subject, but if you had posted those pictures without saying anything about the dealer's or Heartland's opinion, I would have said it looks like water damage to me.

Bones

I agree with Dan. I actually think you should go further up the roof where your pipe vents and your roof fan and pull them off. It really looks like water damage. I don't think they glue the roof down.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
It almost looks like water damage that occurred before the roof membrane was laid down. I don't know how that is possible, unless the roof was replaced after manufacture, and maybe it was exposed to water before a new roof could be applied? I'd be curious to talk to Heartland directly, and see if there were any prior repairs done to this coach before you took possession. Something seems fishy from the dealer's explanation.

wdk450

Is water damage excluded from the 1 year warranty? I thought that the roof sealing should be good for a year under the warranty, excluding physical roof damage.

danemayer

Is water damage excluded from the 1 year warranty? I thought that the roof sealing should be good for a year under the warranty, excluding physical roof damage.
As I recall, there's 90 day coverage on caulking and sealants, after which it's the owner's responsibility to follow the maintenance schedule.

Rhyph

Very unfortunate and sad to see that sort of issue as I would also have guessed that it got wet at some point. Is there duct work running below that area? Could be a cold air leak causing condensation to develop? I would imagine it could be possible if the extremes of very high humidity and lots of A/C use were at play if the ductwork were not properly sealed. I've never seen how Heartland does their ductwork though, so I could be way off on the suggestion.

danemayer

On the frame, at the front on the doorside, there's a large white label that has a bunch of information including the date of manufacture. Sometimes trailers sit on dealer lots for a while before they're sold. I doubt that many dealers inspect and maintain the sealants and caulking for trailers on the lot.

2015 models could have been built in early 2014, 2 years ago. I'd check the date of manufacture vs date of purchase. If the rig sat for a year without maintenance, it may be something to discuss with your dealer.

wdk450

I know my rig was a demo that was manufactured in the Fall of 2007, and I bought it in January 2009. I know it was towed to several RV shows in that time, as we toured it at one of them. I guess I can be glad that I live in relatively dry Northern California.

I went over all of the seams with the rubber roof maker Dicor's own roof sealing tape several years ago. The similar Eternabond roof sealing tape has a 15 year warranty. Maybe I'll spend some more money on one of the expensive 30 year roof sealant treatments whenever I get some spare money.
(Like this: http://rv-armor.com/index.html )

shodge

We are having same problem with our 2016 39fl big country roof leak and they are saying seals. It leaked so bad that it came in our front cabinets and soaked my daughter's clothes.