roof protection

phils51

I have 3270 BH. owners manual says applying UV protection to roof unnecessary, however, I know many of you do. Does anyone have an opinion on this? many thanks

GK2018

I do a yearly roof UV protection on ours mostly because it's brand new and sits out in the hot Oklahoma sun but our last camper was a 2004 and I'd bet it had never had anything done to the roof before we bought it and we didn't mess with it after we bought it and there were never any issues with it. Cosmetically it wasnt as pretty as our new one but that's probably just an age thing. So I'm not really sure if it is or isnt worth it maybe someone else can give us both a better answer lol.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Dawnnira

New Jersey Chapter Leaders-Retired
Do yourself a favor and sit thru the Dicor presentation in Goshen. They will educate you and give you sound advise. Very, very knowledgeable people

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk

brianlajoie

I get on my hands and knees and scrub the roof in the spring when I pull the trailer out of storage. I then apply the protectent from Dicor. This allows me to inspect the roof including the caulking in the process. I ended up applying some caulk last year as a precaution in a couple areas. In my opinion, you can never be too cautious about making sure your roof is good to go.

phils51

I get on my hands and knees and scrub the roof in the spring when I pull the trailer out of storage. I then apply the protectent from Dicor. This allows me to inspect the roof including the caulking in the process. I ended up applying some caulk last year as a precaution in a couple areas. In my opinion, you can never be too cautious about making sure your roof is good to go.

Thanks, I purchased my 3270 in 2015 and have been applying Dicor annually since. A friend purchased a 2018 3270 last year and says he wasn't planning on doing anything other than periodically washing, no conditione, per hiw owners manual. Just got me to thinking whether I was wasting my time. It is somewhat of a pain, and at 70, I don't like being on the roof that much!

wdk450

To all of you doing all of this roof preventative work in the hot sun West, have you though of getting an application of a RV rubber roof paint-on sealant/coating? I am considering this, and the specialized tech I called said that it made the roof so much cooler that you could walk on it barefoot in the sun. Heat gain through the roof where I live is a major concern. I believe that these paint-on coatings need no further caulking or UV protection maintenance. I was up on the roof on an 80 degree day last week working with the air conditioner, and was amazed that the white rubber roof was hot enough to keep me from putting my bare hands on it while crawling around (fortunately I had a rag with me that I could use to insulate).

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
To all of you doing all of this roof preventative work in the hot sun West, have you though of getting an application of a RV rubber roof paint-on sealant/coating? I am considering this, and the specialized tech I called said that it made the roof so much cooler that you could walk on it barefoot in the sun. Heat gain through the roof where I live is a major concern. I believe that these paint-on coatings need no further caulking or UV protection maintenance. I was up on the roof on an 80 degree day last week working with the air conditioner, and was amazed that the white rubber roof was hot enough to keep me from putting my bare hands on it while crawling around (fortunately I had a rag with me that I could use to insulate).

Interesting. I watched the video on the Dicor site about applying their sealant. Looks like it would be an all day job, including taping plastic sheeting to protect the sides from the cleaner/activator run-off. Best to check the weather forecasts for rain (at least in my area), too. With my rig being 10 years old, it may be something to do. I've already covered all roof seams with Eternabond tape and other than the spotting, the membrane appears intact.