Roof sticky

hoffhouse51

Hi,
Maybe someone can clue me in. I have a new to me elk ridge E289 5er with a epdm roof. I got up on the roof to clean and noticed before I cleaned, the roof was a little sticky. Sneakers would leave a light impression and kinda sounded like a movie theater floor when I moved around. Not from tree tar or something like that but I’m concerned about what I don’t know. I assume an epdm roof is not naturally sticking, what am I missing? Is there a coating to put on or some upkeep I need to do? After cleaning with mild soap, next day I applied a UV protection specific to epdm. Sooo what do I not know about epdm roofing?
Thanks in advance,
Chris

Last edited:

carl.swoyer

Hi,
Maybe someone can clue me in. I have a new to me elk ridge E289 5er with a epdm roof. I got up on the roof to clean and noticed before I cleaned, the roof was a little sticky. Sneakers would leave a light impression and kinda sounded like a movie theater floor when I moved around. Not from tree tar or something like that but I’m concerned about what I don’t know. I assume an epdm roof is not naturally sticking, what am I missing? Is there a coating to put on or some upkeep I need to do? After cleaning with mild soap, next day I applied a UV protection specific to epdm. Sooo what do I not know about epdm roofing?
Thanks in advance,
Chris
I would have your last six of your Vin and call customer service. They should be able to direct you to the MFG. From there you will probably get some accurate guidance. Possibly a warranty claim with them.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

lynndiwagoner

Unfortunately my '14 was doing the same thing. There was a run of roofing in our year range that did the thing you're describing. I called Dicor and they admit the problem and will offer you a couple of remedies: One is to take a $1000.00 settlement and number Two is they will supply you with all of the new roofing material and you have to pay to have it put on. This is a huge cost....

He explained that the roof itself is not compromised due to the deterioration of the coating on the EPDM rubber (which is black and under the coating) and that if you take the settlement the original warranty on the roof is still in place. I called around about how much it would cost to put on a new roof and it was pretty outrageous so I took the settlement. A new roof would entail taking off all of the AC units and any other item on the roof and installing the new roof. Mine isn't leaking so I will walk carefully when I go up on the roof.

There you go, a hard decision. Call Dicor, they're real nice, and he will want pictures, etc. Good luck.