Room Slide Ram Adjustment

Garypowell

Just looking things over yesterday before we left Charleston I noticed something I am not sure I ever looked at before. I noticed the end of the ram for both main room slides (3010RE).

On each ram there were 3 nuts. 2 where jammed together such as you would do to "lock" them in place and the other nut was some distance away on the threaded shaft. Between them was the "tab" (for lack of a better term) that was actually welded to the frame of the room.

What surprised me was that there was a matter of inches between these nuts. You can see the pictures below.

Off Door Ram Adjustment.jpgDoor side Ram adjustment.jpg

The left picture is the Off Door Side and the right picture is the Door side slide ram. Both slides are out. When the slides are in the single nut is up against the tab.

I looked at the Lippert manual on line and it seemed to indicate that the "tab" was supposed to be trapped by the nuts....mine are obviously not trapping the tab. The wording in the 1 page manual is not very clear.....to me at least. The diagram shows the nuts apart....but the wording seems to indicate they want the nuts trapping the tab.

But then I reasoned that this spacing (of the nuts on the rod) allowed for the travel of the Ram being a standard distance while every slide is going to need to be moved a specific distance in and out to seal because of the unique dimensions of that given slide. So this space between the nuts allows for that difference. Another way to say this...is this is the "adjustment".

I also reasoned that with the shaft being so rusty and the slides working perfectly for 1.5 years (sealing)....this must be normal.

And then I reasoned....that sometimes I am wrong....and thought I would put it out on the forum. Certainly I would be interested in any theoretical discussion.....but I would really like for several of you to examine the end of your slide ram.....do they show this nut spacing or do the nuts trap the tab?

Thank You!

caissiel

You are right.
Double nut inside for faster adjustment in longer threads while outside single nylon lock nut with less thread travel.
Allows cylinder end to end travel without tearing the slides.
My assumption.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y300-0151 using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Your adjuster looks like every other one that I have seen.
Including both Bighorns that we have owned.

Peace
Dave

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Check u-tube, I have seen a video by Lippert on how to adjust them. Can't find it at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garypowell

Thanks all. Just needed to hear it was normal. And I will sea h out video on u-tube.

In conjunction with this inspection AND waxing the rig this weekend I also noticed the kitchen slide has either moved forward or the outside seal has moved aft..... It is no longer touching the slide at the top. Still looking for what could have happen.....can't find anything out of square or not where it should be.

I have seen seen how to adjust it...but as my dad used to say it would take to men and a small boy to move it aft.

but again all other spacing is OK.