Running fridge on propane

raemoore

I have a brand new Northtrail. I can not get it anywhere where I can plug it in before heading out. Someone suggested Running the gridge on propane in the storage yard and while we were moving it. I have always heard Never to do either. Any opinions

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Raemoore and welcome to the forum.
A long as your rig is parked outside I see no reason why you cannot run your refer on propane. Just be certain that you have enough gas.
I run ours while we travel.
You will get differing opinions.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

bighorn3370

Raemoore, the only problem with it running in your storage yard will be your battery. The circuit board in the fridge needs 12 volts. Your battery will only last a one or two days. Ernie

lduguay

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Welcome to the Heartlland forum......a lifesaver and tons of "sage" wisdom.

Our BC is in storage too......I drive by on my way to work the day we are heading out and turn on the fidge, propane and battery, (making sure nothing else is on), that way she is nice and cool when I hook up a few hours later. Yes, we travel with it running on propane. Just be aware of any tunnel restrictions wherever you are traveling.

ILH

I do the same as Lance - I stop by my rig one or two days before departure and connect the battery and turn on the fridge. I also run the fridge while travelling. As stated, the battery will only last a few days (about 6 days for me on a full charge) when not plugged in.

raemoore

Thank you everyone for the great advice. Also thanks for figuring out what I meant. I just saw the typo this morning. We just bought this rig a week ago. I have had many different older pulls or motor homes with my ex. But this is our first and never had a new one, especially one with everything electric like the awning and such. Maiden voyage this weekend for sons birthday. Should be interesting.

Thanks
Rae

donr827

I do the same as Lance - I stop by my rig one or two days before departure and connect the battery and turn on the fridge. I also run the fridge while travelling. As stated, the battery will only last a few days (about 6 days for me on a full charge) when not plugged in.

Same for us
Don

wdk450

A good idea is to add a 2nd battery to give you more battery run time. My dealer did this before delivery.
Right now, since I moved to RV storage without reliable AC power, I am looking at spending a couple of hundred dollars on a small solar system to keep the batteries up. I now have 4 group 24 deep cycle batteries.

ILH

I've wanted to add a solar panel to keep the battery/ies charged just for refrigerator use - but my diy skills end at having to mount it on the roof.

dbbls59

One thing no one has mentioned yet, make sure your unit is reasonably level. Running a fridge off level can ruin the cooling system.

JAG

The better option would be to pair up a couple 6 volts in series. Way long life.
Monitor fluid levels and bring in the winter to be charged then kept warm. Unconnected from charger.
They also fume a bit more.

lwmcguir

We use Gel Batteries. Don't have time to waste topping off cells. You younger folks have more time on your hands.

ghosst666

you still have to have a good battery when you run on propane ,,it needs the electrical to run the fridge also ..keep an eye on the charge ..