Rust spots on kitchen sink

Manke3010

Hello all,

I know I read somewhere on this forum that somebody made mention of this little problem, but can't seem to find it.

Do any of you out there get little rust spots on your kitchen sink? We get them quite often, can't seem to find any type of cleaner to remove them, so I've used super fine, grade #0000 steel wool to rub them off.

It's quite annoying. Are these sinks supposed to be stainless steel or what?

Is there some sort of sealant I can apply to prevent this, or do I need to consider a new sink basin?

SilverRhino

I posted a solution to this problem that I have used over the years with a number of different RVs.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=13164

I know ss is not supposed to rust...but I have seen these types of spots. Not sure what the cause is....but... we clean with Bon Ami and then use the mineral oil to protect when not in use...works for me.

Travel Safe!

lwmcguir

Many types of SS can rust especially when exposed to chlorine or chlorine donors. Be sure not to use any cleaners that contain chlorine. If you choose to do then do the mineral oil and a good rinse before that.

Manke3010

Couldn't find Bon Ami locally, but got some rust removal solution at Lowe's, that along with some 0000 fine brillow pad, got it off, just applied some mineral oil and it looks great.

I can see on our handsoap that way down the list of ingredients it contains Chlorine. The Palmolive dish soap has no ingredients.

Can any of you recommend a good hand and dish soap that doesn't contain any HCl or Muriatic acid?
I don't want to have to do this constantly, so I'd love to avoid the issue with soaps that won't cause this reaction to the sink.

Thanks!

robnmo

SS will rust depending on it's quality. If your going to use steel wool make sure it's fine fine fine, and always rub with the grain to avoid shiny spots that stand out from the rest of the sink. Also for what it's worth you can pick up a blending pad used by fabricators to keep that nice shiny look and take out small imperfections, and like others posted, lightly oil it and wipe it down ocassionally.