RV Cover Recommendations or Not

Redrider007

Hi All,

I'm picking the new rig up soon and have a dilemma with protecting it-I was thinking of a lean to type structure but winds in my area make me concerned. Those of you that have covers do you keep using them or are they too much work? If you do what are some good quality brands?

branson4020

Icantre Member
Used mine exactly once then sold it. I'll bet it's changed hands several times by now:rolleyes:. For a 36' FW, they are truly a PITA.

pegmikef

The two or three people I know that have tried them didn't have much luck here in west Texas as the sun eats them up and the wind eventually shreds them (< two years) so they only tried them once.

Last edited:

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
Hi All,

I'm picking the new rig up soon and have a dilemma with protecting it-I was thinking of a lean to type structure but winds in my area make me concerned. Those of you that have covers do you keep using them or are they too much work? If you do what are some good quality brands?

In Santa Fe between the wind and sun my BBQ cover don't even last a year. I also have three neighbors that have 5th wheels and none of them are covered. When I ask them why they all say the same thing the cover is too hard to put on, hard to take off and none ever last more than a year. One neighbor actually built a barn and that is where his RV now resides. He spent a lot of money on it.

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
Hi All,

For cost I would look at the steel RV carports vs a lean to. You can cover one side (south side to eliminate sun) an with the roof part of the carport minimize snow, rain and direct sun. They are still a few thousand dollars but cheaper than a barn.

View attachment 33982

gvtahoe88

In Santa Fe between the wind and sun my BBQ cover don't even last a year. I also have three neighbors that have 5th wheels and none of them are covered. When I ask them why they all say the same thing the cover is too hard to put on, hard to take off and none ever last more than a year. One neighbor actually built a barn and that is where his RV now resides. He spent a lot of money on it.

Forget the cover spend your money on something else. Great theory to cover your investment but what a pain to put on and take off. And if you fall off the roof???

OEFVET

Can you be a little more specific of the problems with it. It seems to be light weight. I'm definitely listening but would like a little more info on the problems.

jnbhobe

You can't get it tight enough to keep it from rubbing the roof and edges and wearing the roof and paint.

Hippy

Just bought a new/used once only by another person for my Cyclone recently. Used twice. What a pain. Also you have to be real careful taking it off. Mine got caught in one of the slide out toppers. Ripped a little. My wife is going to fix it however I might call it a loss. It's very scary and dangerous climbing on top and unfolding on you knees. It was recommended to really tighten the straps when you unfold. If windy, the cover is sure to rip somewhere around the Rv. To get a better idea, go to a storage yard and look at all the Rv's that are covered. I didn't till after I bought mine.

branson4020

Icantre Member
Can you be a little more specific of the problems with it. It seems to be light weight. I'm definitely listening but would like a little more info on the problems.

They don't seem very light when you're struggling to get it up onto the roof of your trailer and unfolded.

OEFVET

I really appreciate all the feedback. Since my Cyclone is over 40' I was told a custom cover would be necessary. It would have cost me $1200. So you guys just saved me a lot of money. I do wish I could protect it better. I can't put up a port since I need to be able to use the slides and deck where it will be parked.

jeffdee

I really appreciate all the feedback. Since my Cyclone is over 40' I was told a custom cover would be necessary. It would have cost me $1200. So you guys just saved me a lot of money. I do wish I could protect it better. I can't put up a port since I need to be able to use the slides and deck where it will be parked.

You can if you build it big enough!!!!

I've been waiting 4 months for the installers to bring my RV Port. They started today at 10 am and finished at 8 pm. It will be just big enough to open all the slides on my Cyclone and still park my old class c rv on the side. These rv ports are real popular down here in the south for keeping the sun off the rv during storage. It should definitely extend the life of the roof and the graphics on the sides of the Cyclone. This port is 24' x 50' x 14' tall. It is the vertical roof style and at about $8k it is worth the investment for my two rv's.

It was dark when they finished so I have to wait until daylight to take a picture with all the dark brown trim installed. I also need to run a magnet all around to make sure all the screws are retrieved.

port1_zps0g2qypyr.jpg

port2_zpss7snwttr.jpg

port3_zpslxww96ly.jpg

'Lil Guy'

Jeffdee, I like that. Need one up in Jacksonville upon retirement this year. Have to be set up to pull thru. Hate to pay 8K and knock it down backing in.lol Seriously looking to put on outside the fence in my pasture. As far as a cover for that size unit, wow. I have one in the living room I bought for my NT21FBS and it's still in the bag. It's for a 22' rig. Couldn't even imagine hauling anything bigger up on the roof to unfold. Anyone need a 22' 10" cover? Want it out of the house.

happykraut

Don't waste your money on a cover. After one season of using the cover, my dealer could tell that I had been using a cover. Showed wear on the top front cap.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
One of my neighbors bought a cover for his 5th-wheeler last winter . . .

I noticed that he doesn't have it over his trailer this winter!

I'd stop to ask him why, but I already saw last spring that it was all ripped up before he took it off for the summer camping season . . .

Miltp920

Just bought a new/used once only by another person for my Cyclone recently. Used twice. What a pain. Also you have to be real careful taking it off. Mine got caught in one of the slide out toppers. Ripped a little. My wife is going to fix it however I might call it a loss. It's very scary and dangerous climbing on top and unfolding on you knees. It was recommended to really tighten the straps when you unfold. If windy, the cover is sure to rip somewhere around the Rv. To get a better idea, go to a storage yard and look at all the Rv's that are covered. I didn't till after I bought mine.

I echo this post. We bought a 36 foot ADCO cover. It was not fun putting it on or taking it off. The first one ripped by the door but there was nothing sharp around that tear. ADCO replaced the cover. I was impressed. When I was putting the second (replacement) cover on it ripped. I have no idea what it caught on. Plus it was inside out (my fault). So I took it off and repaired the tear with double stick carpet seam tape. Worked GREAT!. Put it back on. It is a pain to protect the drip spouts. I put styrofoam over them, and it worked good last year. This year, the back corner seam ripped out about 12 inches. AND the seam let go in the same spot as the first cover about a 10 inch tear/separation. I can NOT recommend this cover. I may repair it once more, but once it shreds itself, I will not buy another cover. When it gets windy, this cover moves around alot. The wind gets under the cover and all that movement can not be good for the finish.