RV "Newby" concerned after looking at several Used RV's

Wife & I spent our entire Saturday (5 hours+) looking at New and Used RV's at the Camping World in Richmond, IN.
We were told by one of the salespeople that their site has over 60 acres of RV's and our legs are FEELIN' it today!

Our concern is: We think 8 out of 10 of the Used RV's we went in were in b-a-d shape.
They had obvious water damage, smelled very musty and dank, had stains in the carpet, warped wood, peeling seals around the showers,
faded graphics on the exterior, etc.

It has kind of scared us away from buying a Used RV for sure, but causes us to question whether or not this is really a good investment
even buying New.

Thought we'd come to you all for the Truth and hopefully some encouragement and support.

How difficult is it to keep a New RV maintained?
Is it even possible to prevent water damage over time?

We were worn out and feeling a bit low after our long day of climbing in and out of probably over 100 RV's yesterday.

Not ready to give up on our dream of hittin' the road,
but looking for a little pick-me-ups and inspiration.

Thanks, all!

Russellmky just outside of Cincinnati OH

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Buying used can be a crap shoot to say the least. It is not difficult to maintain a new rv you just need to keep on top of certain maintenance items regularly. If you can buy new and you plan to use your rig you will get to know it and what needs to be done.

Sent from my PU-36 Explosive Space Modulator.

agpopp

Glad to hear you are thinking about joining the club and equally glad you came to the heartland forum. With that said, I fix and sell campers and rv's on the side and will tell you straight up, there are 2 kinds of campers, brand new ones and ones that leak. All campers I have ever looked at are leaking on some level.
If you cant find a clean used one by searching local private owners (I suggest using "garage kept" or "barn" in the search terms) I would be surprised.
Rv and car dealers are all the same, trying to make a 5 grand profit on a vehicle that they know isn't perfect, and even worse, at an rv dealer, the salesman generally have no interest in owning a camper.
And if you choose to go new, don't settle for less than 30 percent off of MSRP.
Good luck in the search!
AP

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

brianlajoie

From a financial perspective - a trailer decreases in value every day. Not the definition of a good investment.
From a well being, fun, discover america, etc... - priceless.

I like to believe that all the maintenance is helping keep the trailer in good shape. It is not difficult if you stay on top of it. A lot of it is: inspect, tighten, lube etc...

I am on the roof of my trailer several times a year, I put covers over the air conditioners, the awning is covered (just recently started doing this). I wash and spread rubber roof protectorant on my hands and knees. I visually inspect the rubber roof and caulking.

We looked at hundreds of trailers just trying to find the right one. I would say look for the right model first then look for that model new or used. If you buy used (dealer or private) consider using a certified rv inspector. Make sure no matter what you buy the you have and use a pre-deliver inspection (DPI) list. Also when you find the model that speaks to you, look at the market using tools like rvt or rvtrader on the web. There is also a large rv cosigner in Texas call ppl motorhomes. You can use that source to see what used rv's are going for or perusing rv models on the market.

I think you are on a good path and the pain you feel well turn to enjoyment and satisfaction when you find the right trailer for you.

Happy rving!!!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
It certainly is not an investment to preserve your money but as has been said you buy a trailer for having fun.
My trailer is going on six years old, does not leak and is well maintained. It's a part time job but a very satisfying job.
I am in the middle of my maintenance right now, repacking the wheel bearings and installing new brake pads. Certainly a job but I enjoy it.
Just curious as the what the age of campers were that you looked at? I have the opportunity to go into pretty many trailers and none of them have smelled musty. Well none that people maintain and take pride in ownership.
Good luck on your quest.
You might want take a look our "Items For Sale" forum, you might some used trailers that interest you.

Peace
Dave

DaveTyler

Hello Russellmky, Good to hear you are in the market. Seems you done lots of looking. If you buy a new one you will still have to keep your eyes open and the one thing is you will have a 1 year warranty or 2 year, depending on what you purchase. The one thing about "Heartland" is the customer service is really great. A few guys up there actually make you feel like they want to help you try their best. This is not everywhere. Also depending on where you are located, Heartland allows you to fix yourself or have a mobile tech come to you and at times additional travel fee but you do not have to take somewhere. This forum is the best place to get help and free advice and when you go to the rallies and meet great people, the investment is cheap. I wish you luck in whatever you do and post on the forum if you need help or with any questions. Good luck!!

Westwind

Go slow and do not be in a rush, personally I would stay away from Camping World. You might be able to get a good deal on a new one but the followup and service is questionable. I bought both my TT and FW from a small privately owned dealers the first in Massachusetts and the second in Maine 4 hours away and was very pleased with the both sales. I have been fortunate and never had to take either trailer back to the dealer I was able to repair everything myself.
You will be able to buy more trailer if you purchase used and maybe end up with one that was taken care of - don't be afraid to look in the private sale arena. You will be able to find trailers that have been taken care of, but once purchased tires, wheel, axle components, wheel bearings, and brakes will need to be inspected and replaced depending on age and wear. Be sure to inspect the roof yourself, look for evidence of caulking around the seams and edges of roof, vents, antenna and vent pipes. Also
the caulking on all slideouts and sides of the trailer. If everything is up to snuff and the inside is clean and well cared for seriously think about it. Maybe the price is higher but it might be worth it. I would try to get the owner to have as much connected and running so you can check it out.
I bought new because my wife wouldn't consider anything used but believe me when I say I know better now, my 2012 Fifthwheel cost $**k, 4 years later it is now worth $34 maybe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bgthomas

I bought lightly used too, and got a third off new msrp. I like and used rv trader.com, but there are others. I do NOT use dealers when I can avoid it. It has already been said that patience is key. Be ready to walk away before you ever see a rig. I cruised rv trader for months before settling on a group of rig plans, then watched for prospects. Beware rigs advertised with few pictures. Also watch for ads that point out flaws openly. Consider these if you can live with the flaws.

Aandaar

RV "Newby" concerned after looking at several Used RV's

I echo all the other posts. We started our research while we still owned a MH. That was almost five years ago. We went every year to the RV show and looked and looked and finally purchased in December. It is a process and having the advice from people on this forum was and still is a tremendous resource. Good luck in your search and welcome to the family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chuck, Victoria, and Miss Callie

tjspencer

Wisconsin Chapter Leader
Wife & I spent our entire Saturday (5 hours+) looking at New and Used RV's at the Camping World in Richmond, IN.
We were told by one of the salespeople that their site has over 60 acres of RV's and our legs are FEELIN' it today!

Our concern is: We think 8 out of 10 of the Used RV's we went in were in b-a-d shape.
They had obvious water damage, smelled very musty and dank, had stains in the carpet, warped wood, peeling seals around the showers,
faded graphics on the exterior, etc.

It has kind of scared us away from buying a Used RV for sure, but causes us to question whether or not this is really a good investment
even buying New.

Thought we'd come to you all for the Truth and hopefully some encouragement and support.

How difficult is it to keep a New RV maintained?
Is it even possible to prevent water damage over time?

We were worn out and feeling a bit low after our long day of climbing in and out of probably over 100 RV's yesterday.

Not ready to give up on our dream of hittin' the road,
but looking for a little pick-me-ups and inspiration.

Thanks, all!

Russellmky just outside of Cincinnati OH

Our camper is 6 years old and it is in good a shape as the day we bought it. Reason why I'm sure is we maintain and keep our coach clean inside and out. We made an investment 6 years ago and we still feel it was a good one yet today. Take your time and look around. Usually people who buy the "upper line" of coaches realize the investment they have made and take care of their coach. That's important. You will find the right coach that you can live with and enjoy for many years to come. They, used RV's are not all bad.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I bought my 2008 Bighorn and still live fulltime in it. I have made a number of changes to it and have kept it in good condition. It was my thought the other day when I will have to hang up the keys and want to sell my trailer, will anyone want to buy it due to it's age. I would tell them to look it over and tell them all the changes I have made to upgrade it, such as those shown in my signature. When I do sell it, it will be in good shape and a good buy for those that want it. However just like a new one, things do go wrong and you have to stay on top of it and make the repairs right away.

So not all old ones are bad if you look closely into them.

BC

Diamondjim

Good advise all.
We looked for 4 months before our purchase of a used 5th wheel.
We decided after several weeks that it was going to be a 5th wheel, as we have a home in FL and will be staying summers in Ohio and Mass. near our 2 kids and grandkids. What did we need in the way of room for 4 1/2 months on the road?
We found a consignment rig (one partner had passed away) in fantastic shape, with many upgrades and fully equipped with all the hoses, pads etc.
It so happened to be with a dealer we had worked with for 40 some years, at a new second location. Done deal.
It can be daunting, the search. The dealer had 88 used 5th wheels on his lot on a hot (80°) day. He took us through 10 that fit our criteria. We kept looking, and are happy we did.
Good luck to you in your search. This forum is a wonderful asset to us all.

Lance & Jo

I bought my 2008 Bighorn and still live fulltime in it. I have made a number of changes to it and have kept it in good condition. It was my thought the other day when I will have to hang up the keys and want to sell my trailer, will anyone want to buy it due to it's age. I would tell them to look it over and tell them all the changes I have made to upgrade it, such as those shown in my signature. When I do sell it, it will be in good shape and a good buy for those that want it. However just like a new one, things do go wrong and you have to stay on top of it and make the repairs right away.

So not all old ones are bad if you look closely into them.

BC

Same thoughts as Bob except we bought ours used and became "Part Timers" again last year when we bought a house. We have put a lot of miles on our rig and sure have had some problems but I read from others with bought new trailers who have had same issues so...... With all the varieties of RV's available it's easy to become overwhelmed in your search. I would suggest you guys set down and figure out what is important in terms of design, then settle on 1 or 2 floor plans. Use the computer to shop for both new and used, save all the driving and looking until you have narrowed your search. Remember that all brands are not created equal and a couple hours searching forums should give you an idea of what kind of problems you might expect and what customer support is available. For instance we had frame flex problems (which is somewhat common in older Heartland trailers) and even though we are second owners and the trailer was out of warranty Heartland took care of all the repairs. Good luck in you search.

wdk450

Many used vehicle buyers in the know look to buying these vehicles from the dry western areas (Arizona, Nevada, Southern California) for more chances of minimal rust and water intrusion damage. E-Bay Motors has RV listings.

Tombstonejim

You did not give your location. But, if you are anywhere near the gulf coast and south east you may be seeing hurricane damage.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I from the school of 'find the RV you like and buy it' . . . whether or not if it is used or new.

Of course, if used, you must check out the condition of it first.

We are on our third trailer in 17 years . . . first was an old used one, second and third were both purchased brand new.

Westwind

Another Hint, Once you settle on one or two brands/models check to see if they have a owner's website/forum like the Heartland one you are one and do some reading to see what owners are dealing with. Just don't let the info scare you away. I've come to the conclusion that no matter what brand you are dealing with there will be things to fix and upkeep. Some folks feel because they paid 30-40K or more for something they aren't going to have problems. Wrong product, it's the nature of the beast.

teasac69

The absolute #1 enemy of any RV is sitting idle. I can't quote the actual % because I haven't done the studies but I'd be willing to bet that 75% or more of RV owners use them less than 3-4 times per year. sitting idle is the worst thing you can do for an RV.

The 2nd worst enemy of any RV is little or no maintenance. Like anything else if you don't take care of the little maintenance on a routine basis, you will be faced with large maintenance issues. The fact is with all the bouncing and bumping on the road, RVs take a pretty serious beating and therefore joints and caulking and roof material breakdown and start to leak. If they are kept under a cover when stored they will have a longer life.

I can suggest to you if you are looking for a good used one, ask for maintenance records (if available), ask about their maintenance practices (self or dealer); periodic or only as needed, etc. The leaking is almost always roof seams and caulking related but I am finding that many of the units I see with delaminating and water pockets are around openings on the side. I'm amazed at the number of units I've seen with delaminating taking place around the refrigerator vents on the non residential type units.

Also, do your homework and find those few well made coaches out there that are in fact warranted for full time use. That usually means they are made from better quality materials and built to withstand constant use. The lower end (price) units are down there for a reason and tend to be subject to premature failures and breakdowns early.

You have already learned to use your very best tool for used RV shopping. YOUR NOSE, if it is normal in function it will tell you if there are water issues, pet soiling, poor housekeeping, lots of dust and dirt in every crack and crevice. If you walk up to see one that has been OPEN for some time, beware. You are much better off shopping for units that have not
been open for air and venting which will often camouflage the odors that are so telling.

Good luck, don't be afraid to buy used, just make sure you can prove they are pre-owned not worn out or abused.