RV tires

jstarwal

I have a 2016, 35 ft tt with 15", 5 ply Westlake tires. I think I need to get rid of them and get some real tires. I should always go to the highest ply rating in my size. All 15" tires are made overseas. Best brands in 15" are Maxxis, Goodyear and Sailun.
Any suggestions.

Jack & Lynette

Jim.Allison

What is your GVWR?

I have a 2016, 35 ft tt with 15", 5 ply Westlake tires. I think I need to get rid of them and get some real tires. I should always go to the highest ply rating in my size. All 15" tires are made overseas. Best brands in 15" are Maxxis, Goodyear and Sailun.
Any suggestions.

Jack & Lynette

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Stay away from the Goodyear Marathon's . . .

I don't think that Sailun's come in 15" tires.

I replaced my BlowMaxes with Hi Run ST's . . . 4000 miles and counting with no issues whatsoever!

Last edited by a moderator:

jstarwal

The funny thing is that I have over 10,0000 miles on my Westlake with no problems. I heard that they weren't any good, so I though I would replace then.

Jack & Lynette

JohnD

Johnd. What brand are your "hi run ST's

Hi Run is the brand name.

I actually bought them as a set of five including wheels from a utility trailer builder here in Denver when we had them replace both axles and all of the springs on our previous Heartland Trail Runner.

One week after we got the trailer back while we were at a Colorado HOC campout about 15 miles from home we traded in that trailer for our new Prowler and I had them swap out the Hi Runs for the TowMax (AKA - BlowMax) tires that came from the factory on the Prowler.

We've been on nine campouts so far, including a trip to Tucson, AZ (HOC Rodeo Rally), and will be leaving day after tomorrow for the Colorado HOC Rally in Colorado Springs, CO, and then in three weeks we'll be heading out to the Vegas Rally!

They are 225/75/15 load range D or E (I'll have to double check the load range but are the same as the tires that came on it from the factory), but after roughly 4000 miles they still look like new.

SNOKING

The Carlisle Radial Trail RH seems to be one of the better ST tires. It was a new construction item three years or so ago. They included a Nylon overlay in the construction when it came out. I have not seen reports of failures. The blowmax got the Nylon overlay about the same time and still is a blowmax.

Your most reliable route would be to install 16" rims and one of the smaller LT tires.

There are LT225/75R16's and LT215/85R16's in LRE. Both are rated to 2680. 29.4" dia and 30.4" dia.

Chris

JohnD

While I said in a post above that the Goodyear Marathon's are the same tire as the BlowMax tires, it was edited as my statement wasn't completely factual.

What I should have said was when I looked the the BlowMax and Marathon tires side by side . . . the tread pattern was identical.

Which is why I advised against them.

Jim.Allison

I bought a set of 15 load range E, 2800 lbs, 81 MPH, 80 PSI for my utility trailer appears to be constructed well.
The Carlisle Radial Trail RH seems to be one of the better ST tires. It was a new construction item three years or so ago. They included a Nylon overlay in the construction when it came out. I have not seen reports of failures. The blowmax got the Nylon overlay about the same time and still is a blowmax.

Your most reliable route would be to install 16" rims and one of the smaller LT tires.

There are LT225/75R16's and LT215/85R16's in LRE. Both are rated to 2680. 29.4" dia and 30.4" dia.

Chris