RVLock

Pizzaguy

I believe when my dealer ordered the rvlock for me thru Heartland, the parts dept. must list each component seperately instead of a complete system like you would get by ordering directly from JT Guardian. Dealer ordered just the lock and the number pad and did not order the remote. I hope this explains my earlier post and why I did not get the remotes.

Peteandsharon

Great job on the video, Rex. Very informative. It raises a couple of questions though. Not sure what to make of the "temperamental" nature of the remote/keypad. Did you get a sense for how close you have to be to use the remote? And can you define temperamental? How often did it refuse to work? Finally you did not speak about installing the keypad. I'm assuming that the lock was simply take out the old and replace it with the new. But what is involved in installing the keypad?

Thanks,

Pete

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Sorry Pete, but I was limited with the recording operation of my phone. I wanted to video the whole thing but about 2 min is all I can do.

Temperament of the lock is not as bad as I thought. DW has used it a 3 or 4 times now and just told me that she loves it and it has never give her any problems. So may just be that I was getting ahead of myself and needed to slow down. So I think that it was more me than anything. I have not got out to test the range yet but I do know that it will do at least 20 feet.

Installation was easy. Do not over-tighten because it will crush in your door and cause it to bind up. In the start of the process lay out the pieces on a towel and install 4 AA batteries. The towel keeps the parts from getting scratched up and helps hold things still. Then you have to program the units. Fairly easy to do, the instructions are short but cover everything. The only tool I used was a magnetic, cross tip screwdriver. One last thing - I'm going back this morning with blue locktite thread lock.

Peteandsharon

Sounds good, Rex. I think I may take the plunge on this. Not sure I will go with the keypad. That's still a little iffy. But the lock and remote looks good. I'll probably get a second remote though. Unfortunately, I'm going to go in for back surgery in two days so it will be awhile before I can get the rig back out of storage to do the install. This is the second summer in a row where I had spinal surgery and it boogers up the summer camping. Maybe we'll get back out in late summer or early fall put the new lock on and get it out for the fall color change. Thanks for the info buddy.

Porkchop

Is this something we can do on ANY rv? Like a Cyclone?

It's easy to install yourself (I think the answer was yes)?

The keypad portion... How does that get installed. Is it for 2 doors?

Thanks!

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
It's only one keypad per door. Easy to install and program. I'm really liking ours.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

alaska dodge

I just had mine installed by heartland and it didn't come with any instructions. Does antone know how to change the key pad code. Also did they come with two keys because mine only came with one

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
I just had mine installed by heartland and it didn't come with any instructions. Does antone know how to change the key pad code. Also did they come with two keys because mine only came with one

They only come with one. P.M. me your email address and I will scan the instructions and send them to you.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Rex,

I know this was on your Sundance and you know have a BigHorn. But do you recall any issues with you stair assist handle, when folded flat, hitting the new RV Lock?

We have encountered this today, after finally getting the lockset installed. The stair assist handle won't lay flat to secure in the "travel" position. (hits RV lock, or the other way, hits the awning support).

I'm not sure what our solution is going to be yet. Moving the handle (up or down) to avoid interference would end up exposing 4 huge holes where the handle was previously. (ugly!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

Hi Erika,

Looking at catalog pics, the grab handles aren't all shaped the same, but maybe the mounts are all at the same distance so they can be used with existing holes. Maybe if you take the existing handle (or it's measurements) to a Camping World or to a dealer with a large parts dep't you might find something that fits.

TravelTiger

We solved our dilemma. Here's the thread.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=33167

The attachment screws are offset, so turning the handle over would have meant new holes, and weren't sure there was backer to attach to if we tried it. And It still would have hit the lock to some extent.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Rex,

I know this was on your Sundance and you know have a BigHorn. But do you recall any issues with you stair assist handle, when folded flat, hitting the new RV Lock?

We have encountered this today, after finally getting the lockset installed. The stair assist handle won't lay flat to secure in the "travel" position. (hits RV lock, or the other way, hits the awning support).

I'm not sure what our solution is going to be yet. Moving the handle (up or down) to avoid interference would end up exposing 4 huge holes where the handle was previously. (ugly!)

Sorry to take so long getting back, been on the road. I took the handle off and put wood spacer that I cut with my band saw. This let the handle go all the way and lock.

TravelTiger

Well, we had our first trip with the new RV Lock. And I, like Hastey think it's temperamental. Sometimes taking three and four times punching in the code to get the lock to respond.

Ours came with one keyfob remote and the keypad. I like the idea of not needing keys to get in, but if I have to have the remote or a key as backup in case I can't get the keypad to work, well, that's not really the solution I had in mind.

It is well made and seems more secure.
Will see if it can train me to hold my mouth just right. ;)

Erika

TravelTiger

I'm assuming that the lock was simply take out the old and replace it with the new. But what is involved in installing the keypad?

Thanks,

Pete

The keypad has a skinny layer of foam and an adhesive backing on it. Peel and stick. Rex put his on the door, we put ours vertically in line with the RVIA sticker just beside the door.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Just remember folks. Keep a spare key in your vehicle just in case. The RVLock folks told me that it's a chore for a locksmith to get you in.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We had something weird happen with our remote lock recently. Back in March, our dealer replaced the Southco lock with an automotive-style remote with only one fob, which I gave to my wife. I programmed the garage door opener in the truck to lock and unlock the trailer door but while here in Creede Colorado for the summer, we found ourselves locked out a couple of times when we knew we hadn't locked the door. We had key with us, so it was all good, except for being puzzling. We finally found that the front gate to the park, which also has a remote, was locking the trailer door. We were inside twice when the door clicked and locked while someone was entering the gate, using the remote to activate. We are more careful now about having a key with s, but problem solved!

Peteandsharon

Just remember folks. Keep a spare key in your vehicle just in case. The RVLock folks told me that it's a chore for a locksmith to get you in.

OK, so while it may be a chore for the locksmith to get you in, it apparently is not a chore for thieves to let themselves in. Yeah we just had our second break in to the Bighorn while in storage. First happened about two years ago where they broke the window on the door to let themselves in. This time they did something to the lock on the latch. I got a notification from the dealer where I store it to come and take a look. When I did I found the door closed but completely unlocked. Thankfully, since we don't keep anything of value in there over winter nothing was damaged or missing except for the fact that the lock on the door latch is now kaput. Can't even get the key in there so it will need to be replaced.

So..... in my frustration let me just free associate a little bit here. I'm guessing that this would not have been any different even with a better lock like the one this thread addresses. I'm guessing also that in some ways the only thing you are really going to do by making it tougher to get in is that they will cause more damage as they do get in. The harder they have to work the more I'm going to have to pay to fix it. Maybe I just leave it open and put up a sign: "Free entry - No TV - Please close the door on your way out". Maybe I leave Buttons in there over the winter and come by every once in a while and thaw the little guy out and feed him. Sharon would probably want me to stay in there instead, though. He's cuter.

I dunno. I guess this is my impetus to go ahead and put a better lock on the unit. It would look nicer and be more convenient.... until they break it. Maybe I need to find some good Navy Seals or some Delta operators to help me wire it up to give the intruders a rude welcome if they do go in. I think Buttons would be happier if I went that route.