-Sailun S637 (Trailer), ST235/85R-16

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
The larger one is a ST235/85R16G. Which was the original one. Then the ST235/80R16G came out. Our 2017 BH3575 came with the 85's.

Both my OEM and new are 85s on my Big Country, GVWR 16k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SLO

If your 2016 was like our 2016 the OEMs were LT tires. Same size as ST with less weight rating. The LT was exactly 20% less than the ST weight rating. Curious uh?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

danemayer

If your 2016 was like our 2016 the OEMs were LT tires. Same size as ST with less weight rating. The LT was exactly 20% less than the ST weight rating. Curious uh?

I think the LT certification requires a safety margin that is not required on ST tires. The actual load capacity may not be any different.

SLO

That was my thought. I wonder if the only difference in the tires is the markings on the tires. I know STs are suppose to have stiffer side walls but both tires seemed identical when I replaced them.

wdk450

That was my thought. I wonder if the only difference in the tires is the markings on the tires. I know STs are suppose to have stiffer side walls but both tires seemed identical when I replaced them.

How do the tire weights on the 2 different types of tires compare???

Flick

Ok. I’m reading all this thinking that I want to chime in.
Sailun makes a lot of different tires for different uses but only makes one type of S637 tire but they make it in 2 sizes as mentioned, the 85r and 80r. The only difference is the size, specifically how tall they are. The 85 has more tread depth and comes in to carry heavier loads. You have to be careful when upgrading to be sure you have enough room to fit them in your wheel well.
Both carry the same psi rating but the 85 can carry more weight due to increased air volume supposedly.
This tire, the S637, does not come in a LT. LT is specifically meant for light trucks which can include up to a 1 ton. The ST stands for special tire, hence it is used as a special vehicle tire and in this instance, an rv. A ST tire can’t and shouldn’t be used on a truck.
I don’t know the actual weight difference between the 2 sizes but I’m sure it’s available. My guess would be only 10% more. I’m sure that info is available.

TravelTiger

Ok. I’m reading all this thinking that I want to chime in.
Sailun makes a lot of different tires for different uses but only makes one type of S637 tire but they make it in 2 sizes as mentioned, the 85r and 80r. The only difference is the size, specifically how tall they are. The 85 has more tread depth and comes in to carry heavier loads. You have to be careful when upgrading to be sure you have enough room to fit them in your wheel well.
Both carry the same psi rating but the 85 can carry more weight due to increased air volume supposedly.
This tire, the S637, does not come in a LT. LT is specifically meant for light trucks which can include up to a 1 ton. The ST stands for special tire, hence it is used as a special vehicle tire and in this instance, an rv. A ST tire can’t and shouldn’t be used on a truck.
I don’t know the actual weight difference between the 2 sizes but I’m sure it’s available. My guess would be only 10% more. I’m sure that info is available.

Actually there are two 85r S637...

5f1618d7ad8c15b9eec2e1063a73d3cf.png

SNOKING

"stiffer side walls" Old wives tail!

- - - Updated - - -

In this printout, one’s an 80. Is there something else I’m missing?

I think I pointed that out earlier. Chris

SLO

This tire, the S637, does not come in a LT. LT is specifically meant for light trucks which can include up to a 1 ton. The ST stands for special tire, hence it is used as a special vehicle tire and in this instance, an rv.

My 2016 Bighorn came with S637 LT tires. Sailun may not make S637 tires in LT anymore but they did in 2016. See pictures below. I thought ST stood for Special Trailer.

d43d8be0befdf68c00a803225890aa7f.jpg

fed61fdd0eb53ab9cbb469061c83584e.jpg

7a88d860803f293c017aa561621b7e7c.jpg

Flick

My 2016 Bighorn came with S637 LT tires. Sailun may not make S637 tires in LT anymore but they did in 2016. See pictures below. I thought ST stood for Special Trailer.

d43d8be0befdf68c00a803225890aa7f.jpg

fed61fdd0eb53ab9cbb469061c83584e.jpg

7a88d860803f293c017aa561621b7e7c.jpg

You can’t argue with the pictures as proof. I wonder if those perhaps were truck tires also. I also wonder if they started to make the ST tire which has a stiffer sidewall to get more into the trailer tire business. It sure seems to have worked for them.

wdk450

How do the tire weights on the 2 different types of tires compare???

I finally did a Google search on the two types of Sailun tire followed by the word "weight'. The answer both times came up as 51 lbs.

Makes you wonder if there is any substantial difference between the ST and LT versions.

Flick

I finally did a Google search on the two types of Sailun tire followed by the word "weight'. The answer both times came up as 51 lbs.

Makes you wonder if there is any substantial difference between the ST and LT versions.

Amazon shipping weight:

Sailun S637-235-85r-16—-61.3#
235-80r-16—-55#

RVFun4Us

Just ordered five Sailun S637, ST235/85R-16 tires from Simple Tire. Chatted online with a representative about getting tires that had a recent build date and mentioned the tires aging out at around five years. He said the tires could be as old as 4 years but more likely within the last two years. Don't like that answer, losing years right from the get go is not my idea of a good deal. Will see what I get, check the dates, and return them if they are too old. Anyone else have an experience like this?

NHCelt

Just ordered five Sailun S637, ST235/85R-16 tires from Simple Tire. Chatted online with a representative about getting tires that had a recent build date and mentioned the tires aging out at around five years. He said the tires could be as old as 4 years but more likely within the last two years. Don't like that answer, losing years right from the get go is not my idea of a good deal. Will see what I get, check the dates, and return them if they are too old. Anyone else have an experience like this?

I suspect that you will be fine, but that is the exact reason that I bought mine from Walmart. Simple tire had no good answer. Shipped direct to me but easy returns. They were only a couple of months old. I've never heard of anyone getting old Sailuns...unlike Goodyear.

The latest position of many tire manufacturers is that the time starts when you put them on the vehicle. Very little degredation in controlled environment warehouses..Makes some sense, but who knows.

TravelTiger

We bought from SimpleTire in November 2020, mfg date was August 2020.

danemayer

Simple Tire needs to invest in better reps. This one sounds like he's sharing his 3 months of expertise with you. If they were actually sitting on tire inventory for 3-4 years, they'd be out of business.

RVFun4Us

When I get the news tires, I will post the dates of manufacture on this board for everyone's information.

JohnU

We bought from SimpleTire in November 2020, mfg date was August 2020.

I purchased a set of 4 Sailuns from SimpleTire on 1Feb2021, Two tires were 4720, and two were 4820. Basically two months old after shipping from Vietnam to the US, being warehoused, and shipped to me. I was pretty impressed with that, to be honest.

RVFun4Us

Just received my five Sailun tires today from Simple Tire. Week and year of manufacture were all either 5020 or 5120. So that is great. Happy I did not get older tires. Now to get them mounted.