Sailun tires.

TedS

I would suggest that the heavier tire has stiffer sidewalls. Less flex generates less heat. A tire flexes to create a contact patch large enough to support the load. The sidewall that does not flex as much to share the load generates less heat.

avvidclif

Somehow the conversation got over to softer ride, less rolling resistance, heat, etc. I am more worried about the lightweight maypops blowing up and causing damage to the rv. When my Sailuns were dropped off I sat on the top of one and told the DW that air was an option with these tires. There so little give it was funny.

SNOKING

Somehow the conversation got over to softer ride, less rolling resistance, heat, etc. I am more worried about the lightweight maypops blowing up and causing damage to the rv. When my Sailuns were dropped off I sat on the top of one and told the DW that air was an option with these tires. There so little give it was funny.

Yep, don't try sitting on a maypop, you will end up on the floor! Chris

RickL

I would suggest that the heavier tire has stiffer sidewalls. Less flex generates less heat. A tire flexes to create a contact patch large enough to support the load. The sidewall that does not flex as much to share the load generates less heat.

Not sure where your information comes from but, a tire flexing does NOT increase the contact patch area. Contact patch is a design of the tire and related to the wheel width. Every tire has recommended mounting width with +/- dimensions. Some tires have a full tread width compared to less expensive tires that save manufacturing costs.

Tires have a designed flex built in and with the proper load and air pressure you minimize the “jounce” ( the flex in the sidewall).

TedS

The load carried by the tire is equal the area of the contact patch times the air pressure.

SNOKING

Not sure where your information comes from but, a tire flexing does NOT increase the contact patch area. Contact patch is a design of the tire and related to the wheel width. Every tire has recommended mounting width with +/- dimensions. Some tires have a full tread width compared to less expensive tires that save manufacturing costs.

Tires have a designed flex built in and with the proper load and air pressure you minimize the “jounce” ( the flex in the sidewall).

Contact patch does not have a single dimension, as in width. Length is also in play. An over inflated tire for the load with have a decreased contact patch, which will decrease braking ability.

Additional I have long believed that the A/S type tread that has been standard fair for most ST maypops contributes to ply separations, as the A/S tread style grips the payment to much in tight maneuvers. You will notice that the XPS Rib, R250, G614 and S637 all have outer ribs without breaks in the ribs.

Dunlop long haul trailer tire.

16" R250 on my SOB 5th wheel.

I ran XPS ribs for 6.5 years and R250's were on the trailer for 4 years when I sold it.

Chris