San Francisco bypass

Flyerone

In Sept. we are heading down hwy 101 to Morro Bay and would like to steer clear of the bay area. What is the best route, along with trying to avoid outrageous tolls?

Mburtsvt

Well if you can rent a boat large enough for the RV and truck to go around San Francisco -you may not have many options. If you look at a map you can see that 101 south over the Golden Gate Bridge is the best option. Picking up 280 south after some boulevard city driving between the bridge and 280 is the only hard part. Pick a good time of day. Early in the morning going south over the bridge is crazy. If you can do this section early on a Sunday morning or late at night you will be good to go. The only toll is on the Golden Gate bridge - at this time there are no longer ANY toll takers on the bridge. They may send you a bill in the future.

Last edited:

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
What about using I-680 east of Oakland and bypass the bay area all together? It looks like you may be able to go from 101 to 37 to I-680 and then pick up 101 south of San Jose.

I don't know what the roads are like but it seems to bypass toll roads and the bay area traffic. And with little additional distance.

bypass.JPG

wdk450

Well, If I wanted to head South from Northwest California and entirely avoid the entire SF Bay area, I would probably divert East on Highway 20 at Ukiah to I-5 at Williams (85 miles), proceed South on I-5 to either: 152 West (at Los Banos) to San Juan Bautista on 101: or Hwy 41/46 West to Paso Robles on 101. Your return West from I-5 to 101 is 50 to 75 miles.

If you can stand SOME of the SF Bay area (but not pull through the city streets of SF itself), I would say drive down 101 to The Richmond Bridge (580) (it is free in the Eastbound direction, about $15 with the trailer in the Westbound direction) merge from 580 to the 880 at the Bay Bridge interchange, stay on 880 down the East side of the bay to 101 in San Jose.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

If you go Saturday or Sunday morning anything before 9am you will be OK
Weekdays after 9pm
And I would take 101 to 580 Richmond San Rafael bridge to 80 down to 880 then jump back on 101 in San Jose

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

jimtoo

Hi joecycle12,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Don't know of any dealers in your area, but some here could order and ship to you. :)

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

wdk450

I would bypass Kalifornia all together LOLOLOLOLOL

You would bypass Mt Shasta, Arcata Bay, Mt. Lassen, Lake Tahoe, YOSEMITE, the Sonoma Coast, the Seqouia National Park, the Monterey Coast, Hearst's Castle, and all of the other natural beauty in California???

Bogie

I live in the bay area and Silverado23 gave you a good route. From Novato take 37 east to Vallejo, then south on 80 for about 4 miles to 780 east. You meet 680 at the Benicia bridge (no toll in the south direction) then 680 south to where it meets 101 in San Jose. 37 is mostly a two lane to Vallejo, but it's a good road. I take it all the time with my rig.

If you go mid day during the week, it should be pretty easy barring any unforeseen traffic condition.

A couple of thing to keep in mind is that 37 passes Sears Point Raceway, so if there is something big going on (especially on weekends), there could be traffic in that area. You can check their schedule here - https://www.infineonraceway.com/schedule/

If you go during the week, you want to hit 101 south in San Jose by 2 pm. Otherwise, you will have heavy traffic from San Jose to Gilroy.