Satellite TV Service Question

Aandaar

So as part of our preps for full timing I am ready to pull the trigger on a satellite system.

Here is what I am planning to purchase:

Dish tailgater Pro Premium Antenna
Dish Wally HD Receiver
Dish DVR Extender

My wife says that she was up on one of her RV forums and someone was complaining that when they canceled there Satellite service the service provider want all the equipment turned in like you do when you rent a cable box. Also they stated that they had purchased all the equipment through CW.

Has anyone experience this? I would think since you are buying the stuff you own the stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Re: Service Question

I’m guessing that was someone who was using their home equipment in the RV. If you buy a mobile dish and receiver, it’s yours.

Gary521

I have a Dish Tailgater that I will sell you for next to nothing. As already noted, The equipment is yours on the portable stuff.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders

So as part of our preps for full timing I am ready to pull the trigger on a satellite system.

Here is what I am planning to purchase:

Dish tailgater Pro Premium Antenna
Dish Wally HD Receiver
Dish DVR Extender

My wife says that she was up on one of her RV forums and someone was complaining that when they canceled there Satellite service the service provider want all the equipment turned in like you do when you rent a cable box. Also they stated that they had purchased all the equipment through CW.

Has anyone experience this? I would think since you are buying the stuff you own the stuff.

With Dish Network you can login to your account and look at listed equipment to determine if Dish lists it as purchased (owned) or not.
Dish also has an App that makes it really easy to refresh your authorization to your equipment. Depending on how often you use your equipment this is really handy to have.

esscobra

I you have dish service at home or a friend who does you can just add your receiver for $7

mlpeloquin

With Dish Network you can login to your account and look at listed equipment to determine if Dish lists it as purchased (owned) or not.
Dish also has an App that makes it really easy to refresh your authorization to your equipment. Depending on how often you use your equipment this is really handy to have.

With Direct TV, you can log in and select your equipment. Select the receiver you want to reset and presto it gets reset within a minuet. They say longer, but it is ten seconds and not much longer. So both services are the same that way. Dish is converting more and more channels to high def. So soon they should be all high def. One thing about Dish is if you travel across country, you need two dishes. One for the eastern arc and one for western arc unless you get one that receives both the eastern and western arcs like the Winegard PA-6002 Pathway X2. I went through this last year for my sister. The dish works well, but is bigger and heaver than the single arc dishes.

Gaffer

With Direct TV, you can log in and select your equipment. Select the receiver you want to reset and presto it gets reset within a minuet. They say longer, but it is ten seconds and not much longer. So both services are the same that way. Dish is converting more and more channels to high def. So soon they should be all high def. One thing about Dish is if you travel across country, you need two dishes. One for the eastern arc and one for western arc unless you get one that receives both the eastern and western arcs like the Winegard PA-6002 Pathway X2. I went through this last year for my sister. The dish works well, but is bigger and heaver than the single arc dishes.

Never logged in but I have a question about that. Can you change your current location with the app in order to get local the channels when you move outside the coverage area for the spot beam you last had local channels on?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
While we used it at our site, DISH was pretty good. Following long absences from the rig and taking down the antenna, I had to contact DISH to reconnect to the service sometimes. Ended up mothballing the GM1518 portable antenna and ViP 211k receiver we bought in our basement after the trees around our RV site grew too tall and blocked the signal. Have cable at home, so the equipment doesn't have a use. Wouldn't mind selling for a reasonable offer.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
While we used it at our site, DISH was pretty good. Following long absences from the rig and taking down the antenna, I had to contact DISH to reconnect to the service sometimes. Ended up mothballing the GM1518 portable antenna and ViP 211k receiver we bought in our basement after the trees around our RV site grew too tall and blocked the signal. Have cable at home, so the equipment doesn't have a use. Wouldn't mind selling for a reasonable offer.
The dish app makes it painless to reconnect now. no call needed.

- - - Updated - - -

Never logged in but I have a question about that. Can you change your current location with the app in order to get local the channels when you move outside the coverage area for the spot beam you last had local channels on?

With dish app, yes easy to change address.

Gaffer

The dish app makes it painless to reconnect now. no call needed.

- - - Updated - - -

With dish app, yes easy to change address.

mlpeloquin Brought up the app for Direct so my question about using the app for change of service with the app was in reference to Direct.

mlpeloquin

I have the APP, but have never used it. I actually log in through the world wide web a directv.com/

Just updated it and you cannot reset your equipment using the app. It allows you to record programs on your receiver and watch programs and movies on your phone.

Last edited:

pegmikef

Regarding changing local stations using the app. It is really easy. Make sure your receiver and TV are on, Log in, go to services, scroll done and use "manage local stations" to change your local stations. You don't have to change your location because Dish will find your receiver and give you the appropriate stations. The app will have you press the menu button twice and enter a digital code for the location that appears on the resulting screen. Whole thing takes about a minute.