satellite

kblasdel

OK forum readers, I need help. DH and I want to use our satellite system when we travel. We have dish network, but a friend gave us a direct TV satellite antenna. I'm not sure it is compatible with our network. We want to try it before we go buy another antenna. I know DH would never want to ask for help, but I'm not too proud. How do we hook the thing up to test it? We saw a Winegard antenna at Camping World that includes the levelers so we would not need a tripod. It was $119. Didn't think that was too bad, but then again, what do I know. It did say that one is compatible with Dish.:confused:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
The easiest thing to do would be to use one of your existing Dish Network receivers and connect the Direct TV antenna to it. Determine your co-ordinates, mount the antenna and see if it works. You probably wont get your local channels. A lot will depend on the number of LNB's and a few other things but you should be able to test it at home before spending any money at all.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Was in your spot a few months ago... I bought a new dish/with head unit on Ebay for $50, bought a used reciever for $25 and you will need a $12 inline signal meter to aim the dish, and some cable wire. Make sure you buy the same reciever model and use your SmartCard from your home reciever. We mounted the Dish on top near the ladder, no need for "Levelers".

kblasdel

Thanks for the advise guys. Hey Westxsrt10, what part of West Texas are you from. I assume you are somewhere off I-10. Anywhere near Midland? I was born in Midland and moved to New mexico when I was 13 but as long as I live (and that has been quite a while) I will always be a Texan. Anyway, is switching out the smart card easier than just taking the receiver to the camper when we go away?

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Thanks for the advise guys. Hey Westxsrt10, what part of West Texas are you from. I assume you are somewhere off I-10. Anywhere near Midland? I was born in Midland and moved to New mexico when I was 13 but as long as I live (and that has been quite a while) I will always be a Texan. Anyway, is switching out the smart card easier than just taking the receiver to the camper when we go away?

You can use your home receiver, ours is sort of hard to remove.

I consider myself from Orange County So.Cal....moved to Canyon Tx 2.5 years ago so this is still another world to us.

kblasdel

I bet moving to Texas was a bit of culture shock coming from California. I have a niece who moved to Midland from Lakeland Florida and she is still in shock.

Anyway thanks for the information. We'll try the dish we have first to see if it works. Hope so; it will save some bucks.

waccajs

Texian
Smart card

The smart card in the receiver will only work with that receiver. They are married to one another is what the person at dish network told me. I added a new (e bay receiver/smart card) on to our house account for an additional $5 a month and put it permanently in our BH. All the same channels except the local news if we are too far out of range. Dish Network is aware that its in the BH and were OK with it. Good luck.

kblasdel

Thanks waccajs, I think I will try using the receiver from my bedroom tv since for the time being we will use that tv in the bedroom. If it becomes too much of a hassle, then I will get another receiver. You said the additional one is just $5? that's really not bad at all.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Thanks waccajs, I think I will try using the receiver from my bedroom tv since for the time being we will use that tv in the bedroom. If it becomes too much of a hassle, then I will get another receiver. You said the additional one is just $5? that's really not bad at all.[/quote

Update to my post....Wifey informed me we only get charged on the third (RV) reciever when we use it.