Scared!! To Tow now!

Chris, Make sure you upgrade your wheels if you intend to increase the weight and pressure on them. Just like your trailer wheels, the wheels on your truck are only rated for so much weight and pressure. Your truck will only be as strong as the weakest link.

Speedy,

I didn't upgrade the tires to carry more weight. I upgraded them so that I have stronger tires with the same load. :)

Chris

Chris,
Thanks! You're right about "ecobeast". I have the Screw as well but 2x4. Regular towing package. Ford's tow chart says 9800#s towing, 15300 GVWR. The 32buds is just under 9000 at max for TT. Like i said, i ran the numbers over and over. I just don't want to be "surprised" on the road.
James

Chris,
Thanks! You're right about "ecobeast". I have the Screw as well but 2x4. Regular towing package. Ford's tow chart says 9800#s towing, 15300 GVWR. The 32buds is just under 9000 at max for TT. Like i said, i ran the numbers over and over. I just don't want to be "surprised" on the road.
James

James,

Here is my trip report! First of all the truck handled great! The addition of Light truck tires made a significant improvement in my opinion. (Plus they made feel better) It was bouncy when hitting big bumps in the road, but other than that no issue. Make sure your WDH is set correctly, and makes sure your brake controller is adjusted correctly. In our experience 55mph worked best! 60MPH felt a little loose. only other thing I noticed...Stopping distance is much much greater! Oh and she is thirsty when towing! I averaged 9.5MPG pulling about 6800 pounds, plus 2 adults, 3 kids, & 1 English Mastiff in the TV. We went to Gettysburg, so a lot of up/down hill action.

Plus if it makes you feel better...While we were at the campground we saw an F150 similar to ours pulling a 5th wheel and he didn't seem to be having any trouble. :) ( Well it made me feel better. )

Chris

priorguy

I pull a North Trail 28 BRS with a 5.0L s.crew 4X4 short bed with 3:73 gears. I was getting 14mpg in mild hills and the truck was barely working. It didn't sound or tack much higher then no trailer. I thought the Eco boost with toe package was good for 11,300 lbs towing. Mine is only good for 9,300lbs as equipped.

The guy behind me pulls a large multi-slide SOB fiver with a platinum Eco-boost and says no problem. Some weekends I'd see a cummins ram there, not sure if it was his too.

I see half tons bringing fivers at my CG every weekend and they do fine but like you said. Load in 3 kids, DW, a mastiff, yourself, gear, and a tank of gas and she's really loaded once the tongue weight is put on it.

If your WD hitch is setup correctly the truck and trailer should both sit level. You shouldn't need air bags or helpers with a WD hitch. Every one I've set up had that in the manual. If it doesn't sit right, it's not setup right. Any dolphin or bucking is from an improper setup. A slight adjustment to the ball angle can increase or decrease this. Same with the number of chain links showing. Changing TV or TT contents may require another adjustment.

Good luck and keep it greasy side (or corroplast) down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
Total=1580 which leaves 5# till I hit GVRW. Sticker on door says not to exceed 1408#

So if I load my truck to 7200 that leaves me with 8300# for the TT. The Dealer said everything was fine. Am I up the creek? I was initially look at airbag and helper spring threads when I started seeing info that made it seem like I made the wrong purchase. I have towed it and had no problems but, first trip is approaching on Friday and now I am scared to tow it for 3 hours.
Did I make the wrong purchase? Or better question Do I now have to trade my 8 month old F-150 in for a F-250?

Chris

If it helps, the GVWR assumes 150lbs for a driver. So you can deduct that. Also, the twin turbo v6 under the hood will out pull any v8 (with the exception of the Raptor) that Ford puts in their half ton.

If stopping is a issue. You can upgrade the trailers brakes to EOH Disc brakes. If you do that you will stop quicker with that trailer behind you vs the pickup empty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

jlb27537

Pulling a 5th wheel with a F150. Yea, I know I am close to the limits. Got me a diesel, will pull anything, bought the SRW. Just go slow, you SHOULD be OK. Put air bags on to level it up. (ie:yes I am overloaded, but it's level now)

What happened to making sure you had the correct tow vehicle? for the job?

ILH

The problem with good sounding advice like "be sure to keep lots of space around you" is that it is only half of the equation. You need to be prepared for emergency stops, cars swerving into your lane, etc. So, in addition to lots of space, you need sufficient weight handling and braking power. As the more experienced guys will tell you (not me) - its not how well you can tow, its how well you can stop.

priorguy

Pulling a 5th wheel with a F150. Yea, I know I am close to the limits. Got me a diesel, will pull anything, bought the SRW. Just go slow, you SHOULD be OK. Put air bags on to level it up. (ie:yes I am overloaded, but it's level now)

What happened to making sure you had the correct tow vehicle? for the job?

Absolutely right, no matter what somebody has for a TV they will undoubtedly overload it at some point. A friend of mines dad used to haul tandem trailers from Montreal to Michigan and he was routinely over weight. Not by a few hundred pounds but by thousands of pounds. Back then all the axels didn't fit on the scales so he'd squeak by.

It's all fun and games until somebody gets hurt.

Then it's a sport and you can end up in court.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

donr827

The problem with good sounding advice like "be sure to keep lots of space around you" is that it is only half of the equation. You need to be prepared for emergency stops, cars swerving into your lane, etc. So, in addition to lots of space, you need sufficient weight handling and braking power. As the more experienced guys will tell you (not me) - its not how well you can tow, its how well you can stop.

X2
Don

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
It is like I have always said even a Toyota Tundra will to a Space Shuttle but how will it stop it. A Ford Ranger will tow a 747 aircraft. It just can't stop it safely. Have you ever had a traffic light change to red as you approach it and try to stop and can't. That should tell you something.

jnbhobe

It is like I have always said even a Toyota Tundra will to a Space Shuttle but how will it stop it. A Ford Ranger will tow a 747 aircraft. It just can't stop it safely. Have you ever had a traffic light change to red as you approach it and try to stop and can't. That should tell you something.

That's why I have disc brakes, my trailer will stop both the trailer and the truck.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
That's why I have disc brakes, my trailer will stop both the trailer and the truck.

We had disc brakes on the previous Landmark and loved it. We plan on changing out these on this Landmark as soon as we get the dollars together.

dave10a

My truck is at its combined limit and well in spec on carrying/axle limit pulling my loaded trailer according to the CAT scales. I hardly know it is back there driving coast to coast and it handles just fine. I do keep the fresh water less than 1/3 full and black and grey tanks empty or near empty. I do drive defensively like I do on a motor cycle which is a wise thing to do. If I was near or over weight for carrying/axle I would be concerned. I don't believe after market stuff is the way to go in that case I would consider a heavier truck.

Birchwood

I purchased a 3/4 ton Dodge SRW with a Cummings diesel specifically to tow our new Landmark we purchased new back in 2009.The Dodge was a mistake as I was 800 lb above the GVWR of the truck before we were even fully loaded.I also thought of air bags or spring upgrades but the GVWR of the truck remained at 9200 lb and I would be overloading the truck no matter what upgrades I added.I hauled the Landmark some with the Dodge and everything was fine but I wasn't happy with the situation as I knew eventually something would break.We decided to make it right and purchase a 1 ton dually and now we can take with us what we like without being concerned that we may be overloaded.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
I purchased a 3/4 ton Dodge SRW with a Cummings diesel specifically to tow our new Landmark we purchased new back in 2009.The Dodge was a mistake as I was 800 lb above the GVWR of the truck before we were even fully loaded.I also thought of air bags or spring upgrades but the GVWR of the truck remained at 9200 lb and I would be overloading the truck no matter what upgrades I added.I hauled the Landmark some with the Dodge and everything was fine but I wasn't happy with the situation as I knew eventually something would break.We decided to make it right and purchase a 1 ton dually and now we can take with us what we like without being concerned that we may be overloaded.

Nothing would have broke on the 3/4 ton. It has the same frame, axles, brakes, all same same suspension hardware, and so on. Only difference is the rear leafs (same bolts, shackles, and mounts) and the front springs are a tab bit lighter.

Now this is a ton of difference between them on the 2014 models and even move difference on the 2015 models.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

Hey Everyone. I didn't realize this thread was still being replied too. Thank you for all the responses. The CEO has approved the purchase of a 3/4 or 1 ton! Woot! Then to the RV show for 5th Wheel!

Thanks again.